Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Problem with inserting key into ignition lock

Bike: NC700X, WR250R
    I'm shooting Dupont Teflon Shain-Saver in my frunk/gas lock and if that helps I'll do it in my ignition.

Bike: NC700X
    Lock mechanisms, particularly lock cylinders, have small parts that will get gummed up from viscous lubricants. This is why the traditional lubricant for lockss is powered graphite. Spray silicone usually works well, because after the propellants evaporate a thin film is left behind.

Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by westsidefred View Post
    I just brought home a 213 mile 2015 NC700X from the dealer. Last night about 8:30 thought I'd go for a ride. Ignition switch wont move. Dealers closed today, so off it goes tomorrow. Just glad this didn't happen on the road.
    Howdy from Texas. Put a little WD40 into the ignition hole. Take the key and push it all the way in down to the bottom. Then pull the key upward with out removing the key. You will feel an indent spot, that is where you want to turn the key on at. Good luck....
    Why not seize the pleasure at once? -- How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, and foolish planning? Just do it. Shut the frunk up and Ride !!!!!!!!!!

Bike: NC700XD
    Graphite is not so good for vehicles because of the humidity / rain... It may turn to a sticky sludge...

Dow Corning suggested me Molykote Omnigliss spray, a water resistant low viscosity mineral oil, with solid lubricants, corrosion inhibitors and a stabilizer... It's under pressure so it can lubricate every part of the lock.

As I can see it's not available in U.S. but I'm sure they have an equivalent product for U.S.

Bike: NC700X, WR250R
    Quote Originally Posted by b_rubenstein View Post
    Lock mechanisms, particularly lock cylinders, have small parts that will get gummed up from viscous lubricants. This is why the traditional lubricant for lockss is powered graphite. Spray silicone usually works well, because after the propellants evaporate a thin film is left behind.
    Dupont Teflon Chain-Saver is not like various other chain waxes, say Maxima Gold or whatever. It's actually a lot like silicon sprays (which some actually use for chains, as well).
    Last edited by greenboy; 19th April 2017 at 14:25.

Senior Member Problem with inserting key into ignition lock
    Bike: 2013 NC700S
    My questions is the key in the lock position? To get it out move the bars, press the key down and rotate. Hope there is a happy ending
    [/IMG]