Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How, exactly, does the Honda trunk box attach/quick-detach to/from the rear plate?

MZ5
    Bike: '12 NC700XC
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

How, exactly, does the Honda trunk box attach/quick-detach to/from the rear plate?

I was kicking around the idea of trying to attach something to the rear plate (I have the factory Honda mount plate/carrier for the Honda-branded trunk) that would hold something longer/wider than the 21" that the 42L trunk can accommodate. So, I'm wondering how they quick-attach/-detach that trunk, to see whether I could figure a way to make some alternative container also attach quickly and securely (lockable) yet be easily/quickly removable like the factory trunk & saddlebags are.

Any pics or thoughts on the matter?

Bike: NC700x
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Honda Box has two flanges that hook into the indents on the front of the mounting plate and then a spring-loaded flange that fits into the square hole at the top rear of the plate. This works in connection with the keyed latch that locks the Box closed, and to the plate. Sorry that I'm not computer savvy enough to know how to post pictures, and no kids or grandkids living near.

MZ5
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm... So, it sounds like a person would likely need a 'piece' of the factory trunk in order to utilize the factory mount points for a QD (quick detach) mount? Or is that 'piece' semi-integral to the trunk box itself?

Bike: NC750X DCT was 700X dct
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like
    I took a close look at one off a Varadero that fitted straight on to my NC700 rack. At first I couldn't see how it was going to fit as I assumed it must use the 2 smaller square holes as well as the big square one at the back, but it doesn't. It uses the front edge of the rack. It means the flanges attached to the box have to be very accurately positioned bithe for thickness, position relative to the big square hole, and angle, as the front of the rack has a bit of a curve to it.
    Mike

Supporting Vendor

Bike: NC700X nc700xd
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registeredRecommendation Second Class5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MZ5 View Post
    I was kicking around the idea of trying to attach something to the rear plate (I have the factory Honda mount plate/carrier for the Honda-branded trunk) that would hold something longer/wider than the 21" that the 42L trunk can accommodate. So, I'm wondering how they quick-attach/-detach that trunk, to see whether I could figure a way to make some alternative container also attach quickly and securely (lockable) yet be easily/quickly removable like the factory trunk & saddlebags are.

Any pics or thoughts on the matter?
    Be careful adding a larger trunk, could have handling problems. some bikes do not like the air flow around them.

Bike: NC700XC
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like
    It seems as though someone on this forum said the top trunk of their ST1300 fit on the NC rear plate. I also think the attachment plate on an ST is a separate plate attached to the trunk. You might research that one. Anyone else remember that post and who put it there?

Bike: NC700XC
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just found the post. Looking at the pictures I think I may have been mistaken. It looks like the tail plate is the same mounting but there is not a separate plate attached to the trunk.

ST1300 Top Box on NC700X rack !

Good luck!

MZ5
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HONDABIKEPRO View Post
    Be careful adding a larger trunk, could have handling problems. some bikes do not like the air flow around them.
    Yes, good advice. I don't actually want a larger trunk at all. Very low-profile would be fine. I need something longer (wider across). Like fishing pole length or so, but tall and thick enough for tackle-box-sized 'accessories' in there, too. Around where I am much of the time, those kinds of things must not be seen nor hinted at, and must be locked, or they'll be gone even during a quick trip into the store for a bottle of pop.

Bike: NC700X Manual non ABS (07/27/12)
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures1 year registeredOverdriveTagger Second Class
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HONDABIKEPRO View Post
    Luckily for me I added a Givi E55 Maxia and I can't tell its back there. I admit that it generally only holds my helmet when I'm at a store or work though.

Bike: NC700X
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe a pelican box design like caribou luggage might work

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast