Page 1 of 18 123 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Madstad Windshield

dog
    Bike: NC700XDC
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like

Madstad Windshield

Ordered it on 20 Mar. It shipped the next day and arrived on the 26th. Packing was EXCELLENT.
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1663
Size:  40.5 KB
    Everything needed was in the box: windshield, adapter plate, "robo-brackets", hardware, and instructions.
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1665
Size:  41.1 KB
    Installation is pretty straight forward. You replace the OEM windshield with the adapter plate. The bracket mounts to the plate and then finally the windshield. I decided to go with the lower set of holes on the OEM Honda bracket.
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1696
Size:  28.1 KB
    Had a little trouble installing the windshield on the brackets and thought they had screwed up with the holes in the windshield. Nah, I just needed to pull the tops of the brackets together some while threading the screws.
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1673
Size:  58.0 KBName:  5.jpg
Views: 1666
Size:  52.5 KB
    The adapter plate is big, but I like that it protects the instrument cluster from the elements.
    Name:  6.jpg
Views: 1676
Size:  29.3 KB
    I'm totally happy with the look. I think the larger windshield size helps balance out the "big butt" look of the E55 top case.
    Name:  7.jpg
Views: 1687
Size:  79.7 KBName:  8.jpg
Views: 1661
Size:  71.5 KB

I just adjusted it according to the instructions at it's lowest setting and it seemed perfect. DISCLAIMER: I am a newbie with about 1000 miles on the bike. This is my first bike and the only windshield I've ever known was the stock fly version. But with OEM the wind was really harsh in either high or low configurations. My ride in to work today was great. The top of the windshield is about chin level and believe I'm in totally clean air. I was only able to get up to about 60 mph in heavy traffic, so was I having to concentrate on it more than the air flow. I'm looking forward to tweaking the setup this weekend and seeing how much wind noise reduction there is.

So far I consider this to be my best mod by far. The E55 top case is great, as is the fenda extenda and the hugger. But the windshield has made a huge difference in the quality of my riding. Can't wait for the ride home to see how it does.

JDE
    Bike: NC700X
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesSocialYour first GroupTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Community Award
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the looks of that. I'm interested to hear how it works for you after you've put some more miles on with it at highway speeds.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Check out the California Riders Group!

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupSocialCreated Album pictures5000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like
    And they give you a great panel for some custom graphics....

JDE
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Community Award
    Post Thanks / Like
    What website did you order it from? Can you give us a link?

Bike: 2012 NC700X DCT
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like
    While the shield itself looks good. I do not like how much view the mounting plate blocks. What hugger are you using?

Bike: DR650SE NC700X
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassRecommendation Second Class1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like
    in case dog doesn't check back soon ...

it is ...

NC700x

Quote Originally Posted by JDE View Post
    What website did you order it from? Can you give us a link?

Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassRecommendation Second Class1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey ....

thanks for the pics and review ...

... when you get more miles with it .... report back ... (and give your height and inseam - so others can use that for reference)

Also - those adjustable brackets are what Mark at MadStad calls "Quick-Adjust" ...
    Quote Originally Posted by dog View Post
    I just adjusted it according to the instructions at it's lowest setting and it seemed perfect. DISCLAIMER: I am a newbie with about 1000 miles on the bike. This is my first bike and the only windshield I've ever known was the stock fly version. But with OEM the wind was really harsh in either high or low configurations. My ride in to work today was great. The top of the windshield is about chin level and believe I'm in totally clean air. I was only able to get up to about 60 mph in heavy traffic, so was I having to concentrate on it more than the air flow. I'm looking forward to tweaking the setup this weekend and seeing how much wind noise reduction there is.

So far I consider this to be my best mod by far. The E55 top case is great, as is the fenda extenda and the hugger. But the windshield has made a huge difference in the quality of my riding. Can't wait for the ride home to see how it does.

JDE
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Community Award
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GsVs View Post
    in case dog doesn't check back soon ...

it is ...

NC700x
    Thanks for the link. Forgot that I had been to the website before.. They are a little on the pricey side. But from the looks of the mounts and adjustability of them I would choose them over CalSci any day. Just when I was getting used to my Honda tall screen.. I still wish it was taller.

Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like
    The adjustability allows one to "fine tune" the airflow ... that is what makes it work - along with the airflow between the baseplate and windscreen ..

When I get a NC (soon) .... it will have the MadStad set-up on it ......

Quote Originally Posted by JDE View Post
    Thanks for the link. Forgot that I had been to the website before.. They are a little on the pricey side. But from the looks of the mounts and adjustability of them I would choose them over CalSci any day. Just when I was getting used to my Honda tall screen.. I still wish it was taller.

JDE
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Community Award
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just might have to pull the trigger and get one. One question I've got is. Do they use the stock well nuts to hold on the mount or do they have another more sturdy approach? That's one thing that turned off of the CalSci and their tendency to put too much stress on those little nuts pulling them through the mounting bracket. If it's a sturdy set up I've still got some tax refund money I was planning on using for something else that I may reconsider and get one of those. With my Honda tall screen I still get a lot of wind buffeting. If I put my hand above the screen while riding and it gets better for me. So it seems I need a higher screen.

Page 1 of 18 123 11 ... LastLast