Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Givi engine bars

Bike: NC700XDCT
    The attached video is great, but did not make me any more confident I could do the job myself. I installed my center stand and top rack but this involves the engine so I am a bit nervous about screwing something up.

I have some questions.

1. I did not see any torquing of the engine bolts. Did I miss it?

2. It appeared that the original bolts were reused instead of longer ones as others have recommended.

3. What was in the spray can, thread locker?

4. Lastly what is the key switch on the left side of the bike below the frunk? I see this is a 750 but I thought the basic bike was the same as the 700.
    Thanks
    2012 NC700XDCT

Lowered Rear 1 3/4", Lowered Front 3/4", Adjustable Side Stand, Rox Risers, Center Stand, Hand Guards, GIVI Top Box, adjustable brake lever, Denali Micro Lights

Senior Member Givi engine bars
    Bike: 2013 NC700S
    Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Put the used bars on today with the stock fasteners. Wanted to get a feel for the install. Will try to track down longer bolts this week.
    [/IMG]

Senior Member Givi engine bars
    Bike: 2013 NC700S
    Just an update on this. I could not find the bolts anywhere locally and I am quite persistent. I kept watching the link Beemerphile provided but never saw the the 90mm lenght. I finally got off my butt today and called them. They have some but not many and their supplier is out so they are not active on the website. Spoke with a very pleasant girl who confirmed that they have stock, helped do the order for stuff not on the website and processed my Canadian credit card. Price for two bolts, six washers and shipping was $11.03. I think I spent more than that in gas shopping locally. Thanks for the great source Beemerphile.
    [/IMG]

Bike: nc700x dct
    Looks like Sw motech has pulled their failed non fitting crash bars finally. No replacement mentioned. They should fire some people in qc since their skid plate fitment suffers as well. Givi is loving Sw at the moment for their incompetence.

Bike: 2015 NC700S
    Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    Looks like Sw motech has pulled their failed non fitting crash bars finally. No replacement mentioned. They should fire some people in qc since their skid plate fitment suffers as well. Givi is loving Sw at the moment for their incompetence.
    Guess The Cheap and quick option was worked out since the motech don't fit well, hope the motech rack I ordered fits well.
    -2015 NC700X
    -Storm Bark Busters
    -Danmoto exhaust
    -Givi crash bars
    -Motech Rear Rack With Emgo Top Box

Bike: NC700S
    Quote Originally Posted by pahondafan View Post
    4. Lastly what is the key switch on the left side of the bike below the frunk? I see this is a 750 but I thought the basic bike was the same as the 700.
    Thanks
    On the "S" model, that's the gas/frunk key hole.

Senior Member Givi engine bars GregC's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    The SW crash bars fit with no issues on my 2015 DCT. Guess their mfg'g and QC are inconsistent as well as bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike: 2014 Honda NC700X
    I don't know whether to blame SW-Motech or Honda. Seems like a lot more pieces have to align to build a motorcycle than to drill holes in a skid plate or bend some crash bars. Who knows?

"I shall pass this way but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." - Etienne de Grellet (Quaker Missionary)

Super Moderator Givi engine bars 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, Ruckus 50, KLX140L
    Quote Originally Posted by GunNut37086 View Post
    I don't know whether to blame SW-Motech or Honda. Seems like a lot more pieces have to align to build a motorcycle than to drill holes in a skid plate or bend some crash bars. Who knows?
    I think the motorcycle frame build tolerances are pretty tight. It's amazing that if you take all the plastic off and reinstall it, it just fits exactly into place on the frame.

Givi crash bars have poor quality control, too. The first set I got absolutely couldn't be fit on one side. They had to be replaced (after I went to a lot of effort to prove they were built wrong). Even the set I have now has differences in the bends when you compare the two sides.
    Greg
    AMA Life Member
    "200,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX

Bike: 2014 Honda NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    I think the motorcycle frame build tolerances are pretty tight. It's amazing that if you take all the plastic off and reinstall it, it just fits exactly into place on the frame.

Givi crash bars have poor quality control, too. The first set I got absolutely couldn't be fit on one side. They had to be replaced (after I went to a lot of effort to prove they were built wrong). Even the set I have now has differences in the bends when you compare the two sides.
    You're probably right, just stirring the pot.

I can see how Givi or SW or whomever can get some bends wrong on a set of crash bars, but jeez a skid plat is a flat piece of metal with a few bent edges. It's pretty pathetic for the holes to be off.

"I shall pass this way but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." - Etienne de Grellet (Quaker Missionary)