Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Adventure alternatives to bloated pigs: SOMEDAY?

Bike: NC700X, WR250R
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepyC View Post
    I like your custom front brake lever.
    Tip-over when I left the NC at the end of an off-road detour to get some photos from a cliff above. When I came back from shooting a big rock had shifted under the front tire and left the side-stand as the highest support. So over she went as I blithely snapped away. Didn't hear a sound in the forest either. ...Rode it that way for awhile, until my handguards arrived. The cheap Chinese adjustable levers that I ordered from eBay at the same time are way nicer anyway ; }

Bike: Honda VFR 750, NC700X
    I guess it depends on what your idea of an ADV bike is...

1. A round the world bike that you can pack hundreds of pounds of gear on that weighs a ton.
    2. An off road machine not intended to be ridden on highways... and only on paved roads to get to other dirt roads.
    3. A mix of the above on a bike that you can actually pick up by yourself if it falls over, but you can ride on a highway if you want to get to another part of whatever country your in quickly.

After you answer the above question, you should have a pretty good idea of what your looking for. if it's:

1. You want the biggest displacement BMW you can find loaded with huge cases and every accessory known to man.

2. A dirt bike with some soft bags big enough to hold a spare pair of underwear to change into every other week ;-O , cooking and camping gear, and something to make coffee and drink it once made.

3. 250 to 700 cc bike with a mixture of the above gear that is comfortable on highways or dirt roads/trails.
    Last edited by netizen; 4th April 2017 at 21:08.
    on NC700x, also have a VFR 750

Obesity in faux adv motorcycles? An Open Letter to the Motorcycle Industry

Bike: 2014 NC700X
    Not gonna lie the TRK gives me a woodie.
    It's PURDY.Adventure alternatives to bloated pigs: SOMEDAY?-2016-benelli-trk502-jpg
    airheadmedia.com
    tacticaldronesolutions.com

Good fuel tank on that Benelli. But that machine is way heavy, and the suspension travel is not that great.

Moving to South or Central America, the 400cc HONDA NX4/NX Falcon 400i has been available since 1999, in a lot of colors too. It was changed over to fuel injection in 2012. 33.5" seat height, 8.7" front travel with 21" wheel, 7.7" rear travel on 17". Its flaw here perhaps would be a 5-speed gearbox but it will at least do over 90mph (naked anyway). And changing the rims to aluminum would improve its already light dry weight which is 333 pounds(!) Basically on track for most SA/CA riding...

Last edited by greenboy; 20th April 2017 at 11:13.

Me likey. If these would have been available in the US I probably would have never gotten a 250 dualsport. Honda was really hitting it when they started the NX4/Falcon 400 line. 333 pounds dry, decent suspension travel, FI, too bad about the 5-speed box though...

Senior Member Adventure alternatives to bloated pigs: SOMEDAY?
    Adventure alternatives to bloated pigs: SOMEDAY?
    Bike: 2012 NC700X Manual non ABS (07/27/12)
    Quote Originally Posted by greenboy View Post
    Me likey. If these would have been available in the US I probably would have never gotten a 250 dualsport. Honda was really hitting it when they started the NX4/Falcon 400 line. 333 pounds dry, decent suspension travel, FI, too bad about the 5-speed box though...

If they had that bike with a six speed gearbox in the states, when I bought my NC, I probably wouldn't have an NC.

Super Moderator Adventure alternatives to bloated pigs: SOMEDAY? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, Ruckus 50, KLX140L
    Quote Originally Posted by greenboy View Post

If the torque band is wide, and gears are widely spaced, 5 gears would be fine. It certainly wouldn't have stopped me from buying one.
    Greg
    AMA Life Member
    "200,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX