• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

BMW styled rear time mud guard...

SleepyC

Reaction score
Visit site
Any reason this would not work on the NC700X?
Seems like it mounts to the main wheel nut... or am I missing something.

The CB500X has the same size rear time no?

s-l500.jpg

Located HERE

If it works like the one on a BMW, it will add to unsprung weight while making the rear messier rather than cleaner. The possum scraper captures debris that would have otherwise flown harmlessly behind the motorcycle and redeposits it back onto the tire where it is then deposited all over the rear shock and the back of the swingarm. The one that came on my R1200GS now sits harmlessly in the parts take-off box.

If it works like the one on a BMW, it will add to unsprung weight while making the rear messier rather than cleaner. The possum scraper captures debris that would have otherwise flown harmlessly behind the motorcycle and redeposits it back onto the tire where it is then deposited all over the rear shock and the back of the swingarm. The one that came on my R1200GS now sits harmlessly in the parts take-off box.

Wow good to know. I thought they would stop the water and such from flying up onto the bike... but an ounce of "been there done that" beats thinking every time.

IMO those things are totally worthless, looks like it would act as a wind sail and actually add to the SPRUNG weight which hurts the suspension action.

IMO those things are totally worthless, looks like it would act as a wind sail and actually add to the SPRUNG weight which hurts the suspension action.

Well they are worthless, in my opinion as well, but they are UNSPRUNG weight because they are not supported by the suspension and it is unsprung weight that is more detrimental to suspension operation. Heavier tires, wheels, sprockets, chains, etc. are examples of unsprung weight.

My understanding is that there was a German requirement that the rear fender be below some maximum limit above the ground and that this was necessary to meet it with the GS. I do not know if this is truth of fiction. The possum scraper DOES reduce the spray / roost behind the bike, but it does it at the expense of making the rear of the bike messier.

Even in my know it all age I'm still learning.
I've always associated the word sprung with being on the wheel (suspension/SPRING) side, hence sprung weight. I put the word spring and sprung together.
The wheel and that beemer mud flap as being unsprung still does not compute in my mind..............its on you Beemerphile!

Even in my know it all age I'm still learning.
I've always associated the word sprung with being on the wheel (suspension/SPRING) side, hence sprung weight. I put the word spring and sprung together.
The wheel and that beemer mud flap as being unsprung still does not compute in my mind..............its on you Beemerphile!

On a vehicle "sprung" weight is weight supported by the springs and thus the springs soften the ride of the sprung weight. The more weight a bike has that is not supported by springs the poorer the ride.

OK. That makes it a little easier to reprogram my thinking. But when you think about it, the terms could easily be argued in the reverse, as I had it.

The wheel is supported by and sitting on the ground. It is unsprung.

The frame of the bike is supported by and sitting on the springs. It is sprung.

Back