• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Madstad in summer

Hank

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, it is warming up here in Oklahoma. A few days in the mid 80s.
Last night I put the Madstad all the way down to see how much air I would get.
It still seemed to hit the top of my helmet, though I got more air lower down.
I guess I could also tilt it more.

I have considered putting the stock windshield back on for more air in hot weather.

What do those of you with big windshields do in warm weather?

Last edited:
This doesn't answer your question, but I just ride less when it gets too hot. No amount of hot air is going to make me cooler. In summer I just ride in early morning. Spring and fall are my two main riding seasons.

I guess I could also tilt it more.

What do those of you with big windshields do in warm weather?

That is exactly what I do. I want to increase the airflow so I drop it to the lowest setting and angle it inwards. Not warm enough to lower it here yet but may wear the summer gloves on the commute.

I just switched back to the stock screen for summer.

I also have a cut down screen I switch to on my Goldwing.

As long as it is under body temperature the air will cool you, but bugs, fatigue etc are countervailing factors.

Mine is cooler when raised higher thus letting more air flow underneath the lower corners and through the slot. I remove the winglets in spring and replace them in winter.

In my experience, from cruisers to sport bikes to standards, when it's hot it's just hot. Riding behind a big windshield or no windshield at all, it's still hot. When riding with the Madstad, it's not like you're sitting in a pocket of stagnant air. You're still getting airflow around you. For any small difference in the perception of a cooling effect that I might receive from going back to the stock shield, it would be completely mitigated by the discomfort of having to ride with the stock shield again. Also, full wind blast will contribute more to dehydration, but that may only be an issue on longer rides at higher speeds.

My winglets aren't installed right now, 1) because they don't fit with the Kobra handguards in place; 2) I haven't bought/installed risers yet! I probably won't get to #2 for a while but will plan on doing it before the summer is over so that I can have the winglets in time for the fall/winter.

Back