• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How, exactly, does the Honda trunk box attach/quick-detach to/from the rear plate?

MZ5

Reaction score
Visit site
I was kicking around the idea of trying to attach something to the rear plate (I have the factory Honda mount plate/carrier for the Honda-branded trunk) that would hold something longer/wider than the 21" that the 42L trunk can accommodate. So, I'm wondering how they quick-attach/-detach that trunk, to see whether I could figure a way to make some alternative container also attach quickly and securely (lockable) yet be easily/quickly removable like the factory trunk & saddlebags are.

Any pics or thoughts on the matter?

The Honda Box has two flanges that hook into the indents on the front of the mounting plate and then a spring-loaded flange that fits into the square hole at the top rear of the plate. This works in connection with the keyed latch that locks the Box closed, and to the plate. Sorry that I'm not computer savvy enough to know how to post pictures, and no kids or grandkids living near.

Hmm... So, it sounds like a person would likely need a 'piece' of the factory trunk in order to utilize the factory mount points for a QD (quick detach) mount? Or is that 'piece' semi-integral to the trunk box itself?

I took a close look at one off a Varadero that fitted straight on to my NC700 rack. At first I couldn't see how it was going to fit as I assumed it must use the 2 smaller square holes as well as the big square one at the back, but it doesn't. It uses the front edge of the rack. It means the flanges attached to the box have to be very accurately positioned bithe for thickness, position relative to the big square hole, and angle, as the front of the rack has a bit of a curve to it.
Mike

I was kicking around the idea of trying to attach something to the rear plate (I have the factory Honda mount plate/carrier for the Honda-branded trunk) that would hold something longer/wider than the 21" that the 42L trunk can accommodate. So, I'm wondering how they quick-attach/-detach that trunk, to see whether I could figure a way to make some alternative container also attach quickly and securely (lockable) yet be easily/quickly removable like the factory trunk & saddlebags are.

Any pics or thoughts on the matter?
Be careful adding a larger trunk, could have handling problems. some bikes do not like the air flow around them.

It seems as though someone on this forum said the top trunk of their ST1300 fit on the NC rear plate. I also think the attachment plate on an ST is a separate plate attached to the trunk. You might research that one. Anyone else remember that post and who put it there?

Be careful adding a larger trunk, could have handling problems. some bikes do not like the air flow around them.

Yes, good advice. I don't actually want a larger trunk at all. Very low-profile would be fine. I need something longer (wider across). Like fishing pole length or so, but tall and thick enough for tackle-box-sized 'accessories' in there, too. :) Around where I am much of the time, those kinds of things must not be seen nor hinted at, and must be locked, or they'll be gone even during a quick trip into the store for a bottle of pop.

Luckily for me I added a Givi E55 Maxia and I can't tell its back there. I admit that it generally only holds my helmet when I'm at a store or work though.

I know its expensive, but the Honda gear is nice. The bags, all three, can be taken off and put back on in a minute or two. Only issue was the locks were hard on the key to lock. Pulled the tumblers out and "polished" the latches with some sand paper, siliconed them up and now they work awesome. Going to line them with an insulator so things don't make noise inside them.

Back