• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Compressor Recommendations

Texican88

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone have any recos for a portable air compressor? I was looking at the Stop & Go. I like how it can plug into my tender wire. Was wondering if anyone has used anything else that they like a lot.

Thanks.

I have one from "Slime". It works, I've used it several times now as I had a slow leak for awhile until I got it fixed. So I had to top off my rear tire every few days. I let it go too long a time or two and it over inflated the ire so I had to let some out. That's one problem with these is there is no pressure gauge on the compressor. I too was looking at the "Stop and Go", but it didn't get very good reviews online. The slime on was only slightly better.

As JDE, I have a Slime one. Well, it is small, and have enough power. It works

Where do you plan on using this compressor? If it is for your everyday compressor I would recommend getting a decent one for the house. When traveling I check my pressure in the morning before getting started and if low find a gas station to air up at. If I need air on the side of the road I figure I've got bigger problems. I carry tire plugs and several co2 cartridges to get me to a place with air

I carry a Slime compressor with plugging tools and gummy worms all the time. This compressor has a gauge built in the side of it and several times it has gotten me home as I have had an incredible run of flats on the road the last 3 years or so. Mine is 7 years old. I originally bought the Slime kit that had a bottle of plugging agent and the compressor. I took that bottle out and it made enough room for my tire tools, some fuses, misc. roadside repair items.

I also carry a slime compressor and Gummy worm plugs. I haven't used it yet, since I have lager compressors at home.
One night after work, I saw a stranded rider on a Suzuki Boulevard M50 with a flat. I stopped to help him but forgot I removed the compressor the night before.
I told myself, never again. It seems if I'm prepared for something, I don't have those problems.

We have a cyclepump that my husband always carries in his saddlebags along with a stop & go plug kit. BestRest Products, LLC Kind of pricey if I remember, have never had to use it on the road yet. Was worth it for peace of mind on long trips though.

Most of them have the same or a very similar pump unit inside different housings. I usually scrap the housing to increase portability of the pump. However, it gets hot as rip in operation so don't be touching it while or shortly after it has been running. And I carry CO2 cartridges as plan B.

BEEMER'S RULE OF ROAD TRAVEL: Two is one and one is none. Whatever it is you are counting on cannot be counted on.

Aerostich (aerostich.com) has a mini compressor part #3500, for $47.00 which has had good reviews from a couple of magazines. It's next on my list of thingies to buy, although it will probably be with their compact tire repair kit with mini compressor item #4750 for $85. Just a thought: I've never read a single thing bad about anything Aerostich offers, only good stuff. I have no personal knowledge of their products but am going to get this mini compressor.

I'm a belt and suspender man like Lee. I have always carried both a manual bicycle pump and CO2 cartridges, or a mini 12V compressor and either manual or cartridges. Some combo of two of those three.

Obviously you can't take that line of reasoning too far, as you'd soon end up with: "spare bike #2" being towed along behind you, lol, but if it's something simple, small, light and cheap, then I really try to squirrel away a "Plan B" backup somewhere in or on the bike, or me. I would kick myself if I was stranded for lack of a $5.00 item I could have put in a pocket or taped to a frame rail, and it was within my powers to effect a trail repair.

Presently air-wise, that's a few CO2 cartridges and a Slime mini 12V "top up" pump. (and obviously the tire plugs, spare valve core, little cap/remover combo, rasp, applicator, etc.)

This almost guarantees that I hardly ever need to use them haha, but boy, do you feel all pat yourself on the back smug, the one time you do need to, or can offer help to some other poor sod on the road. :D

I used my belt and suspenders last year on the trip down the Dempster Highway from Inuvik, NWT to Dawson, Yukon. Forget the cell phone. You can call a service truck and it will be there tomorrow for $1,000. I had spent all of my tire plugs and all of my CO2 cartridges and when I got back to the beginning of the Dempster Highway I had six psi of air in the twice holed rear tire. I was proud as punch of all six of them and glad the Dempster wasn't two miles longer.

What the little pumps WILL NOT do is seat the bead if you manage to roll the bead off while trying to get stopped. For that, you often need to take the valve out of the stem and burn a CO2 cartridge. I carry the 45 gram big honkers.

What the little pumps WILL NOT do is seat the bead if you manage to roll the bead off while trying to get stopped. For that, you often need to take the valve out of the stem and burn a CO2 cartridge. I carry the 45 gram big honkers.
At least once my 12v compressor did seat the bead on my ST1300 rear tire. The tire beads were both down in the center of the rim and with the bike on the side stand I could not seat the beads. I was only 2 miles from the house but went ahead and called my roadside service. While they were calling down the list for a truck I managed to get the bike on the centerstand and work the beads out toward the sides of the rim. With that the beads sealed well enough to take air and at about 45 psi the beads popped into place. I cancelled the service call and gummy wormed a repair for the 2 mile ride home.

The list of people who are luckier than I am grows daily. Looks like you made the list.

i am with lee. i have used a stop and go pump for along time but, i have always had to use my co2 to seat bends, and sometimes it is still very hard to seat them and i carry the large co2 cartridges the 45 gram ones. i only use the cartridges to seat beads, the compressor is for finale air, and to fine the holes to plug. dale

I've always carried a ratchet strap and/or a length of nylon webbing to wrap around the circumferance of the tire and squish the sidewalls out, to help when popping back. Works like a charm.

***Plan Z: a small shot of starter fluid and a long stick with a burning rag on the end***

*** Obviously all the warnings and implied: "you will die if you try this, don't do this at home kids, for professional use only, your mileage may vary, filmed on a closed circuit etc., etc. apply here. :p

I've always carried a ratchet strap and/or a length of nylon webbing to wrap around the circumferance of the tire and squish the sidewalls out, to help when popping back. Works like a charm.

***Plan Z: a small shot of starter fluid and a long stick with a burning rag on the end***

*** Obviously all the warnings and implied: "you will die if you try this, don't do this at home kids, for professional use only, your mileage may vary, filmed on a closed circuit etc., etc. apply here. :p

I've seen the ratchet strap method used successfully on YouTube.

Back