• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2014 Hona CTX700 and CTX700N first look - Rider Magazine

Sorry to throw a spanner into the works, I really don't like the looks of the CTX. It's just me, I suppose.
:(

That's fine to feel that way. The people buying the CTX are probably saying they really don't like the looks of the NC700X.

I'm surprised I haven't yet seen any mention here of the 400X which recently made an appearance at the 2013 Tokyo Motorcycle Show. Essentially just out beloved 700X with a smaller engine, as best I can tell so far.

I'm surprised I haven't yet seen any mention here of the 400X which recently made an appearance at the 2013 Tokyo Motorcycle Show. Essentially just out beloved 700X with a smaller engine, as best I can tell so far.

Awe, maaan. You just had to say that.

I've always had a love affair with 400 size bikes (doesn't hurt that where I live, our Insurance cut off for higher prices starts at 401cc) and especially the cool Japanese Domestic market machines that we never get over here :(

With one or two exceptions here and there over the years of course, but for the most part it's a pretty empty zone.

Awe, maaan. You just had to say that.

I've always had a love affair with 400 size bikes (doesn't hurt that where I live, our Insurance cut off for higher prices starts at 401cc) and especially the cool Japanese Domestic market machines that we never get over here :(

With one or two exceptions here and there over the years of course, but for the most part it's a pretty empty zone.

With all the complaints (from non-owners) about the 700X having a bland and underpowered engine I can't help but wonder if the 400X is going to be primarily a domestic offering. While the 700 series get frequent mention as "beginner's bike", here in Japan anything over 400cc requires a license that is difficult and expensive to obtain. Has anyone seen any mention of the 400X being offered outside Japan?

In the States for 2013 we get the 500X, which looks to be the same machine as the 400X, with more displacement. The 500 has been shown here at this winter's shows. With a higher revving engine it should perform close to the NC700X, but surely without the low end grunt. I look forward to the press reviews. I guess the only reason for the 400's existence is the Japanese licensing requirements. I do like the looks of the red 400 better than the matte black 500.

400X
Honda 400X.jpg
500X
CB500X.jpg

Last edited:
I would have bought the 500x but I have a love affair with the NC's frunk! Oh Frunk how I love you so..umm and I got the 2012 NC700 for the same price as the 500x. Its always good to save frunk money.

This is just another style or design with smaller engines. I don't get it, why it is good for the Honda to build similar bikes with different engines - but for sure they have the idea. I took this weekend 350 kms on mine 700S and it is awesome. I wouldn't buy a smaller one, when I can get this one. And I don't think, the 400 and 500 bikes will be so much cheaper! But who knows? / The CBR500R ~ 8000$, CBR250R ~ 4000, Nc700 series ~ 7000-9000$. How much would be the 400-500? /
If I were a cruiser or chopper fan, I would buy a CTX. I like it's modern style.
But on the other hand : de gustibus non est disputandum.

I was checking out the CTX and considering it but the adventure mods on the NCare more attractive. Also, the frunk line looks lower on CTX. If it cannot hold helmet...... But just imagine the tourability. Little bit more fuel, same weight and an even lower cg and aero profile...

Last edited:
I was checking out the CTX and considering it but the adventure mods on the NCare more attractive. Also, the frunk line looks lower on CTX. If it cannot hold helmet...... But just imagine the tourability. Little bit more fuel, same weight and an even lower cg and aero profile...

Does the CTX have a frunk? I thought it was Frunkless and a stardard tank was in place. Although its hard to tell from photos.

No Frunk like the NCX - just a small storage compartment: "The new CTX700 offers a convenient utility compartment that’s in the fuel-tank area, making it easy to reach". The gas tank is also smaller (3.17gal vs. 3.7gal).

See the Honda web-site for more details: http://powersports.honda.com/2014/CTX700.aspx

Attachments

• 2014_CTX700_Storage.jpg
    2014_CTX700_Storage.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Cool beans. Is a bike I do like the look of. Will have to see what it has released with it for options. Still probably go for the NCX for it's "fun"ctionality.

My first post. I'm a newbie rider; riding for only ten months; ride almost exclusively for a 60 mile-per-day, state highway commute. High performance is of no importance to me but want/need something that can easily maintain moderate hwy speeds for years and years with high mpg and as little maintenance/service as I can get away with.

I love riding for a commute so far. I made a decision to buy a Piaggio BV350 scooter and took delivery last June. The scooter has been great. I'm averaging about 67 mpg with a tall screen on it. The BV350 has fantastic performance for a scooter. I felt at the time that an MC would be more suitable for my needs, but couldn't find a single MC that I liked or wanted. Fell in love with Honda's 700 power train, but I just don't fit on the X. I'm too short in the inseam.

I joined this forum to learn more about what NC700 owners are saying about their rides, because I'm considering a trade for one of the CTXs when they arrive. Although the scooter has turned out to be a good choice so far, I have been somewhat discouraged lately after learning about the freguency which I'll be replacing CVT belts and other transmission components (about every year and a half with the miles I pile up commuting), and how often I'll be replacing a rear tire (about every ten months). And, also, contrary to what a lot of people believe, comparing equal displacement scooters versus MCs, scooters are not as efficient for hwy travel. I have a feeling I could squeeze out nearly the same mpg in a CTX700 as with my current 330 scooter that's 100 lbs lighter.

I've never even once before taken a second look at a cruiser-style bike, but how can one not be interested in a 700 cc bike that fits me; has good low-end grunt; and mpg in the mid to high 60s with Honda quality and reliability, parts and service support. Of course I'll have to give it a spin, but I like what I see so far. It's not decked out with all that chrome that makes one feel like he or she must pile on the leather, and it doesn't have one of those humongous front wheels that juts out way forward of the bike. If I can stand the super-low seat, and the sofa-style seating, I might me enticed to get one.

Any feedback, suggestions, or advice is welcome. I've got a lot to learn about power two wheelers. That's why I'm here. To read and learn from others.

Back