• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Lucus Fuel Treatment for the NC?

docb91b

Reaction score
Visit site
Howdy all,
What is everyone's take on using Lucus fuel treatment with the NC? Good? Bad? Don't know?

Keep in mind, I was thinking one or two capfulls to go with our small tanks.

Your help is appreciated.

D

Would not matter one way or the other. Your bike is fuel injected, no carb to clean. It's your money burn it however you like, but Ride.

I'm not going to weight in one way or the other but I used to hang out on a couple sport bike forums and have seen this conversation before. One comment I saw more often or not was not to use it unit the bike had quite a few miles. Like over 10,000. I cannot vouche for that. Just something I read.

Lucas is forumated for both carburated or fuel injected. I have never used it in a bike and probably never will.

Lucas Fuel Treatment : Lucas Oil

Last edited:
I think if you constantly use top tier fuel suppliers it will not make a difference. Its supposed to clean injectors and valves and is a "upper cylinder lubricant" which if i am not mistaken are some of the goals of the top tier fuel program.

Luca cleans everything in the fuel system and treats corn (ethanol) fuel so it doesn't turn to water.

I have used it for years on probably 30 bikes and it is great stuff.

We have no idea of the source of our fuel today.

Sam:)

It's my opinion fuel system additives are a waste of money. Instead buy brand name fuel from a busy station, use the bike alot, and store it with a full tank of gas. If the bike is going to sit idle a few months it [Lucas additive] might do some good as any fuel stabilizer would.

A little clue. Every gas station in your town gets gas from the same refinery no mater what the name on the station. The refinery does not have higher quality for one and lower quality for another. For example if you live in Austin Texas your gas comes from the Koch refinery in Corpus Christi. They may throw in a few additives when they load the truck, but it is the same quality gas.

Funny how gasoline, diesel fuel, and some motor oil isn't quite a finished product when you buy it. They still need to be "treated", then they're OK. Seldom used items, like coolant, brake fluid, or gear lube are OK when you buy them; they don't need treatment.

It's all in the marketing, boys.

Greg

Back in the 80s GM, specifically Buick and I believe it was on the Grand National, recommended Chevron Techron additive in the owner's manual. After a couple of trips to the dealership for injector flushing on my mom's TPI trans Am to fix stumbling and rough idle issues I put Techron in with every oil change along with using Chevron gas exclusively and never had a problem again. From what I have read, over the years refiners improved the gas, manufacturers improved injectors, and additives which are added after refining and differ from brand to brand were also improved so that the need for off the shelf additives has been reduced if not eliminated. Having said that, I have had family and friends, as recent as last year, have fixed issues with injector cleaning and I do still use off the shelf Techron but not as religiously as I use to in the 80s/90s. BTW I don't work for Chevron. That was just the brand that was recommended and worked at the time and I tend to stick with what is working although I now buy gas wherever. As for the NC, I'll probably start using Techron at the next oil change....old habits die hard.

I've put on a number of miles in rural and out of the way places and gotten gas that caused my best girl to caugh and buck - not in a good way!! - Would some spare ounces of something like this help her cope?

Don't know if its worth a darn or not, but this website makes me think about where I fill up. If a have a choice.
Top Tier Gasoline

Since I first heard of Top Tier gasoline a year ago, I've visited well over a hundred gas stations, possibly even two hundred. I found it interesting that only one out of all of them actually had a little sticker on the pump that said Top Tier, but it didn't even explain what that meant. The general driving public probably has no clue what Top Tier gas is.

I'm neither for nor against Top Tier, but I'd have to say they're not getting the word out. And even if the word of Top Tier was out, it would be lost in the sea of flimflam ad campaigns that the fuel distributors are known for.

Greg

Last edited:
I do know gas additive works on 2 stroke marine engines. Also, I do know gas additive works on marine 4 stroke gas engines with carburators.

Don't know about motorcycle fuel injected motors ???

Ken

Back to the OP question, yes it wouldn't hurt to do it every oil change. And since the book says 8k miles between oil changes, it would be a good idea. Lucas is good stuff, and I have used gumout as well on some of my vehicles.

To the nay sayers, the NC is fuel injected and is susceptible to deposits no matter what quality gas you buy.

Techron is the real deal. I don't use it regularly because I use Chevron gasoline predominantly. I have never needed it in any of my motorcycles, but I do keep a bottle in inventory for problem solving. My wife's Suburban needs it occasionally because she drives, well, slow. I don't use oil additives, just good oil (Amsoil in most things; Chevron Delo in my Kubotas and Army truck; Mobil Vactra 2 on my lathe; Froglube on most of my guns). I also use Dow GearGard Moly M additive at 5% in non-synthetic hypoid gear oil in transmissions and gearboxes on my BMW's, tractors, and Army trucks (old BMW's are direct descendants of tractors and Army trucks). I use Pri-G fuel preservative in gas engines that are infrequently run like my generator and pressure washer. I also use Pri-G in the 60 gallons of stored gas I keep in 12 metal safety cans (rotated out once per year into either vehicles or lawn equipment).

Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited or taxed. If a rash develops, discontinue use and call a physician.

Now corn is being blended in today's fuel I've discovered when repairing bikes there are more carb and fuel system problems. Years ago I saw crusty varnish in the float bowls. Now it's greenish dried slime from the ethanol. A local bike dealer taught me that ethanol will begin to go bad after a few weeks and turned me on to a fuel stabilizer to prevent mold and growth. The real problem is with fuel injection systems. The growth reaks havoc with fuel pumps in bikes that sit for a month resulting in costly repairs. As a result, I use any fuel cleaner or stabilizer I have laying around. Star Brite, Techron, Sea Foam, Marvel Mystery. Most of this stuff burns very well and while using it will actually increase mileage. It's made from petroleum products and lighter solvents which do a good job of cleaning carbon off of valves. It's not snake oil, although with today's crappy organic fuel snake oil might be helpful.

Like Bemer, I have a fuel and oil additive routine. Stabilize all stored fuel. Fuel cleaner in all bikes and add an oil additives, in highmileage motors. I maintain 8 bikes, 3 cars and one airplane.

Last edited:
Back