• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

why no spokes on nc series?

K

kc2ine

I mean how much better the wheel looks...
and I heard spokes are more durable then cast wheel.

Totally agree with you. They look better, are typically more rugged...not to say you can't bend a rim, I have...but I also busted the crap out of a cast wheel when I was a kid doing some dumb stuff on an old bike right after saying "hold my beer".

I think it could be done with a bit of modification and proper balancing.

Jeremy "Doc" G
Using Tapatalk on one of my Apple devices...it's cool, I know I have a problem.

There are a couple of older threads on this topic. Search for "spoke wheel".
Short version........conversion would be complicated because of the brake rotor.
The cast ones have proven to be strong so far.

Honda built the bike to a price point. Lots of stuff they could have done differently that would have added to the cost.

I have owned all three types of rims over the years. For the heavy street motorcycle I would take mag rim over the spoke rims, as up keep is a lot easier and tubeless tires last longer. For lite dirt motorcycles I would take spoke inside the rims with tube type tires, as I can carry extra spokes and tubes. As for a heavier adventure motorcycle I would take spokes outside the rims over mag rims or dirt spoke inside the rims, as I can carry extra spokes with me to wobble home while still using a tubeless tires for better street mileage for the predominate street usage of the bike.

The three types of rims have three different purposes. Honda engineers built the NC7 to be a street bike, thus the mag rims.

To be honest, I prefer cast wheels over spokes. To get spokes looking good again is a LOT more work than cast.

My Thoughts exactly....now if only the NC700X had shaft drive...... :)

Mpg would have dropped with a shaft...
A belt option would be nice.... something that doesn't' require lube every other tank of gas... maybe by the time I'm ready to replace the NC they'll have figured out a better drivetrain methodology.

It's not only the appearance and the practicality. They also have different properties.

Cast rims are usually lighter (easier to lean, less momentum: easier to accelerate), more rigid (so they give more precise feedback to the rider), and the tubeless tyre has a better behavior when punctured but it can loose air.

Wire spokes rim are heavier but they can absorb better ground's anomalies (so they don't transfer to the rider), they can repaired, and the tube will not loose any air.

There are more details but I can't remember them...

The NC clearly it's not an off-road motorcycle for me. It's designed for roads. That's why they have equip it with the specific suspensions and rims. And I wouldn't trust it for this kind of use. I believe it's not so robust as an off-road motorcycle (yeap, less production cost). Just compare the construction and the specs of the NC with a CRF or other off-road motorcycles...

(forgive me for my bad english :) )

I poked around the OEM Honda sites and couldn't find a spoked wheel that costs any where near the cost of a NC cast wheel. Spoke wheels today are found mainly on off road or dual purpose bikes or retro style bikes with a classic style. The NC is a pure street bike in an adventure style suit and cast wheels fit the purpose.

I think we need to clarify the purpose of an adventure motorcycle...

Dual-sport motorcycle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dual-sports may be grouped by weight and intended purpose.

* Lightweight dual-sports weigh about 250 to 300 lb (110 to 140 kg). They have high fenders and ground clearance plus long travel suspension, and usually come with aggressive dirt oriented tires known as “knobbies”. Lightweights are closest to pure dirt bikes and are most at home on rough trails and two-track roads with occasional forays onto pavement.
* Middleweight dual-sports weigh about 300 to 350 lb (140 to 160 kg). They usually have less suspension travel and ground clearance than lightweights, and often come with tires that offer a compromise between dirt and pavement performance. Middleweights are most at home on smooth trails, graded dirt roads and pavement.
* Heavyweight dual-sports weigh over 350 lb (160 kg). They are designed primarily for riders who want to travel long distances on pavement with occasional forays onto dirt roads. They usually come with smoother tires that perform better on pavement. Motorcycles of this type are increasingly favored by a subset of touring riders who never intend to ride off-pavement, as they tend to offer comfortable riding positions, reasonable range, and the ability to carry luggage, while weighing less and performing more nimbly than a traditional touring bike. These motorcycles are also called adventure or adventure-touring bikes by some manufacturers.
And NC is more than heavyweight...

Yep, pure street bike that a good few of us frequently take off-road.

Anything can be taken off road but is its intended purpose? I guess if you want it to be it is.

[video=youtube_share;cb3bdFzyAqI]http://youtu.be/cb3bdFzyAqI[/video]

Samsung Galaxy S4

Tubeless tire spoked rims are used mainly on adventure bikes. Usually the high dollar versions. The tubeless tire spoked rims have a raised part on the outside of the rim that the spokes go into, not inside the tire. The spokes can be changed on the fly, without breaking down the tire. The rest of the adventure manufactures use mag rims.

SpookedTubelessRim.jpg

I did it once for a few miles with my MP3 on a dirt road rougher than this. It was fun but the suspension, the tyres, and the hub (and finally me) really suffered.

My apologies. I didn’t mean to turn this into another thread on if the NC can go off-road or not. Feels like I’m in a 4x4 forum…….Jeeps, Blazers, Broncos, Hummers, Samaria, etc aren’t off-road vehicles. Only tube frame rock crawlers are off-road.

Back