• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How to attach windscreen?

2wheeledJim

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my 700X used with the tall windscreen attached and purchased the shorter, stock one.

But the stock windscreen didn't come with any rubber spacers or nuts and the nuts and spacers I took off the existing windscreen are too large. Does anyone know whether rubber spacers for where the windscreen mounts are essential?
photo1646994451(4).jpeg
Pic1: the existing, large windscreen which was fitted when I bought the bike. It has neat little rubbers to reduce vibrations.
photo1646994451.jpeg
Pic2: the plastic mounting frame on the front of the bike which I attach the new windscreen to; I probably shouldn't attach it without rubber spacers, right?

Is there some standard fitting kit I can buy or do I have to go to the hardware store and pick 'n' mix?

Last edited:
Assuming you are trying to mount a stock Honda windscreen, there were originally stock wellnuts, plastic spacers, washers, and button head screws that held it on. Refer to a parts illustration to see what was there. If it was my project I would buy the parts from Honda. However I would guess an attachment system could be made from generic parts.

Without using the stock wellnuts or an aftermarket nutbar, it is very difficult to hold an individual nut behind the windscreen bracket while attempting assembly, due to space limitations.

Note items 5, 10, 11, & 12 shown on the illustration.

F1CA68FB-EE95-44FB-AFBB-19882D5C7C27.jpeg

a well nut

XLvgHcOh.jpg

button head screws

72K50hxh.jpg

attached and plastic washer

ob1f95xh.jpg

Thanks for all the great replies, with photos and everything!

The UK has hardware stores like Home Depot but with different names. Luckily it looks like I'll have no problem finding any of the parts on the diagram in 670cc's post. The only thing I'm unsure about is what part number 5 does? It seems to look something like this. But it only takes a single nut through it, not all 4 of the nuts which attach the screen?

Thanks for all the great replies, with photos and everything!

The UK has hardware stores like Home Depot but with different names. Luckily it looks like I'll have no problem finding any of the parts on the diagram in 670cc's post. The only thing I'm unsure about is what part number 5 does? It seems to look something like this. But it only takes a single nut through it, not all 4 of the nuts which attach the screen?
Part number 5 is a unique plastic spacer that fits on the two alternate mounting holes. You flip the spacer top to bottom if you want to change from lower to upper screen mount position. You would not absolutely need to have the Honda part, but you will need something there or else the well nut may not fit right or the plastic windscreen could end up against the metal bracket.

The parts arrived and it's installed:)
I was surprised that part no.10 (the well nut) slides into the mounting bracket from the front of the bike, as I expected the bolt and nut would be either side of the bracket, clamping the screen in place. In actual fact the reason you can't just pluck the screen off is due to the concave angle of the 4 bolts/well nuts.

Now... lower or upper position? This could take a couple of test rides:p

Last edited:
Yea, # 5 are the original well nut plates....as 670cc mentioned, they can be flipped to have the screen a little higher or a little lower (about an inch). They cover the holes not being used for the windscreen bolts. I bought a pack of generic well nuts off of Amazon which were supposed to fit, but they were slightly too small diameter and would pull out of the holes even with shorty windscreens. You need to really work the correct well nuts into the holes. If the well nuts go in easy, they will come out with the wind pushing against the windscreen.

Yea, # 5 are the original well nut plates....as 670cc mentioned, they can be flipped to have the screen a little higher or a little lower (about an inch). They cover the holes not being used for the windscreen bolts. I bought a pack of generic well nuts off of Amazon which were supposed to fit, but they were slightly too small diameter and would pull out of the holes even with shorty windscreens. You need to really work the correct well nuts into the holes. If the well nuts go in easy, they will come out with the wind pushing against the windscreen.
Good advice. I guess I should give the screen an almighty yank before I take it on the highways!

Back