• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Pillion and luggage - preload

fr1234

Reaction score
Visit site
I’ve a 17 DCT. Last summer, my wife became interested in coming for rides on the back and we did a few short (15ish miles each way) trips to the coast.

This summer we’re planning a weekend tour in Europe where we’ll probably do ~600 miles carrying the 2 of us and luggage (~160kg combined weight the 2 of us inc kit plus ~25kg luggage/panniers/topbox).

Should I be thinking about adjusting my preload on the rear (stock) shock? If so is it doable and relatively straight forward with basic tools (and does anyone have a link to a guide or video)?

(Note: the vast vast majority of my riding is alone (8k miles last year and only about 100 of those were with the wife on board) so wouldn’t want to make any permanent, or tough to reverse, changes if I can avoid it)

Cheers

Last edited:
It can be adjusted but access is difficult for a C spanner tool if you have the correct size. I did not but was able to loosen the locking ring and turn the adjustment ring by tapping on it with a hammer and a long large flat blade screwdriver.

Back