• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question “Blind” buying used NC750x DCT

fr1234

Reaction score
Visit site
In 6 weeks I’ll be moving house and I’ll need a bike for my commute. After much searching and research an NC750x DCT basically smashes every box and I’m sold.

I have a week between the move and having to be back in the office, during which I’ll also have lots of other moving related tasks so I’ve only a very short time to find, look at, buy and take delivery of/collect a bike. As a result, I’m thinking of just picking a decent looking bike on autotrader from a dealer, blind buying and having it delivered from any dealer somewhere in the country.

(I don’t want to buy before the move as I don’t have parking available at my current place in London, insurance quotes for my London address are 4X the new address and there’s the added hassle of getting the bike and car moved as well)
I’m looking to spend max £5k (but ideally 4K) and from what I’ve seen, for that I’m likely to get something between 2014 -2018 5k miles - 20k Miles.

I’m justifying this to myself as my budget allows me to get something not too old or high mileage and I’m not particularly mechanically savvy so I would likely miss any non obvious issues anyway.

So, my questions.....

• is this a stupid idea?
• are there any particular years to avoid?
• Low mileage 2014s with luggage seem much cheaper than moderate mileage 2017s without - any reason not to choose the former?
• worth paying them to service if possible or is it enough to just do an oil change when I get it?
• are there any questions I can ask the dealer which could reveal a no go issue?

I'm pretty new here too. I am, looking for something similar. But because I have two bikes in the garage already, I won't be buying until riding season is over here in Minneapolis, when the bikes are less expensive.
I bought my '83 GL650 sight unseen. Only because, the person was a well known and trusted oldtimer on the CX500 forum. He went over the entire bike doing the stator, brakes, gaskets, rubber,etc and I had him put a set of Michelin Commander IIs on. He even did the 12 hour round trip from Wisconsin to Minneapolis to bring the bike by rented Uhaul trailer to me. I have a one year warranty on it from him on the bike.
Maybe you can meet some folks here who live near you?

Good Luck!

If the bike is newer or lower miles, and you can find out if basic maintenance was done, I don’t think it would be a major risk. Also, if buying from a dealer, see if you can get a warranty - even 90 days would give you time to thoroughly check the bike out.

There’s little maintenance on the Nc700 - oil changes every 8,000 miles, check the valves at 16,000 and 24,000 (mine haven’t moved from spec). Chain maintenance is important but installing a new chain is no big deal. Basically I think the NC is pretty forgiving of missed maintenance.
Make sure the bike hasn’t been in any major wrecks and that the basic maintenance has been done. I personally think it’s a reasonable risk

Its a Honda...unless they ragged it out while riding (doubt it though) used bikes should be good. not much difference between the 2014-2017..except 2017 will have a 1 liter larger frunk and I believe in Europe the HP went from around 48hp on the 2014 to 54 hp on the 2017 (or maybe the 2018) due to the tier licensing in the EU models (the earlier models in the USA have the 51/52 hp ratings-no tier licensing here in the USA).

Hi
I bought mine " blind " , I hadn't ridden one either ! I got mine as a " preregistered " bike from Hunt's of Manchester , it's an '18 bike registered in'19 with zero miles , they had 1 owner bikes at the same money !
I would go for a later bike ......'16 on as they have the 3 sport modes and traction control [ which I have never used ! ] , also going for a " pre-owned " bike it will probably come with " extras " already fitted like .....taller screen , hugger , extender-fender , heated grips , hand guards , etc.
I'm down south near Gatwick Airport , so if you're anywhere near give me a " shout " for anymore info./advise ,
Best of luck
Derek

Back