• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

13 Day trip Boston to Tail of the Dragon planned

fleetingyouth

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all This is my first real long trip Ive been planning it all summer for me and a friend. Another friend might be driving in from TN and one from FL. If there is anyone along the Route or in the area of the Dragon who wants to meet up or come along would be great to meet some new people.

We are leaving Boston Sat Sept 26th and plan to be at the Dragon on the 30th. We might get there sooner we are going to play it by ear. We are then going to be doing some rides in the area for a few days and heading back to Boston Oct 4th. Will probably hit Boston on the 8th.
So far our only destinations are the Revzilla showroom in Philly, Wheels through Time Museum and the Tail of the Dragon.

The Plan is to do Highway riding straight through Maryland to the Skyline Drive in VA. Take that to the Blue Ridge Parkway all the way to the Dragon. I have it mapped out at about 1100 Miles.

If anyone who has done any of these routes before has any tips or places of interest along the way that would be great. Also Im still looking into cheap places to stay or the possibility of some camping to save cash on the way down. Can anyone offer advice on what to expect weather wise late sept early oct for any of these areas? Trying to plan out gear needed.
How about anything else I should know or expect ie traffic, hazards?

Once there Ive mapped up to big 150ish loops that both include the dragon. The Cherohala loop up around Vonore to the dragon. The Smoky mtn park Loop. Does anyone have other good rides or advice on riding these routes. Any things to watch for or places of interest?

Like I said this is our first big trip and any and all advice is welcomed for this trip. Ive done a couple camping trips but the longest straight ride Ive done is just under 5 hours. I have done casual day rides with no real distance riding for about 8 hours. Ive been preparing physically so now I just want to get some advice and info on what to expect watch out for. Also anything to improve or add to the trip.

thanks everyone.

Willville Motorcycle Campground in VA and Blueridge Motorcycle Campground in NC are just off the parkway. Both have A-frame cabins around $45/ night. If you share a cabin close to same price as two tents. Nothing in the cabins but beds so use the campground showers.

I've been going up there every spring for years. I always stay at the Kickstand Lodge on 28 in Stecoah. It has cabins, a bunk house, camping and great showers. Call for reservations for cabins. Mo cooks supper if there's enough folks and there's a diner half mile down the road. The is also the Iron Horse Lodge just around the corner. Either of these is a great base for riding. Tell Mo Dale says hi and get a I know Mo sticker.

A must ride is to take 28 south to Highlands and stop at the waterfalls. There are three. Thats a great stretch of road. There's the gauntlet in North Ga, and of course the Blue Ridge Parkway in that area is great. 441 through the Smokys can have high traffic and may not be fun. Avoid the weekend and if you can, ride the Dragon on a weekday or early in the morning. The Dragon/Cherohala loop is good. Do be careful, people get killed up there all the time. Wayah road is ok, watch for gravel, 68 from Tellico plains to Blue Ridge Ga., is nice, get a fried pie at Merciers in Blue ridge. There's also 215, 281 and several others. If you get to Telllico Plains, get off the Cherohala and ride a few miles up River Road to the waterfalls. you'll get some good pics. I recommend America Rides Maps. All of the good motorcycle roads are marked as well as motorcycle shops, gas etc. Some of these rides are noted on my blog, Adventures of an Old Fat White Guy. Look for the KSL reports. KSL 3, 4 has some video. The Adventures of an Old Fat White Guy

Wheels Through Time is basically a Harley Davidson museum with a sprinkling of other bits. No Japanese bikes are displayed, except one in the foyer outside the museum. It may be your thing but I was pretty disappointed by the lack of diversity in bike brands.

It sounds like a great trip and a good time of year for it. Have fun! I'll miss you there by about 3 weeks.

Slow down enough to take pictures and come back here with them! I'm real bad about not doing that and EVERYTIME I regret it.

Sounds like you have enough time that you won't be rushed..that's good. I've been in the area once, It is beautiful.

Hey Fuzzy, when is the best time for fall colors (and don't say in the fall :rolleyes:)

Thanks for all the info so far. Im going to start looking into all those roads listed.

I do plan on taking lots of photos, kind of the side effect of making a living as a photographer haha.

What will the weather and temps be around that time of year? I want to get the most out of my gear without having to bring a lot of extra stuff.

The temp will be unpredictable. You might have daytimes of 70's 80's. Nights can get cool, depending on elevation. You drop 3 degrees for every 1000 feet. Layer. I'm ATGATT so I wear riding jacket and pants. I carry a fleece to go under the jacket and around camp if it turns cool. I take those zip legged pants so I have long pants and short in one pair. I would guess the temps will be much like home for you. Carry rain gear. It rains a lot in those mountains, although its usually spotty.

All good suggestions so far. Temps could range low 80s in the afternoons at lower elevations to high 30s at night so three season gear is required. It's usually 10 degrees cooler up on the BRP from the valleys. The Skyway and BRP have low speed limits so the average mileage per day is accordingly lower. You will be stopping a lot at overlooks and for pics so you might only average 30 something miles an hour...that's OK with all the curves you won't want to ride fast enough to raise the average much but figure a 300 mile day on the Skyway/BRP is going to be 9 or 10 hours in the saddle. I generally avoid 441 in the Park as it's full of RVs and tourists. For several years I based out of Robbinsville and always stayed at the Phillips Motel. It was clean and cheap. One of the cottages used to be $135 a night and it slept three with covered MC parking. The single/double rooms were $35 to $50. I don't stay in that area much anymore though and now often stay at Moonshine Campground outside of Waynesville. They offer campsites and cabins/cottages. Good people. I've been fortunate to make maybe 20 trips to the area and have lots of GPS routes saved. If you can use them in Mapsource or Base Camp I'd be happy to send some to you. All the usual roads and some small little ones you will love after riding them.

28/64 between Franklin and Highlands. Great road too.
River road, off Cherohala parkway on the Tellico plains end. 276 between the Blue Ridge Parkway and 64.

Thanks guys.

My friend wants to see waterfalls and I know there some great ones. Where are the easily seen ones from the road?
Not many on the parkway unless right after a rain. Bottom line the parkway was built as high as possible so not much water coming down the hill sides from above. A couple good ones heading southwest past Asheville, NC near the parkway on some great approach roads. Turn south towards Brevard on 276 for a few miles to see one. Next exit on parkway it 215. Head north on 215.for another the road crosses in the middle of. Blueridge Motorcycle Campground is on 276 about 5 miles north of the parkway. A circle of 215 and 276 both sides of the parkway is a fun ride. Steep twisty roads.

Back