• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

1st thousand in the books

the Ferret

Reaction score
Visit site
Turned over 1000 miles on my 2021 on this morning's ride.

9aZ1eROh.jpg

So far so good. Do have a couple of niggles I'm not happy with, in particular with re-setting Trip B. I use trip A for daily miles which I record, and trip B for miles on tank of gas. So every morning I reset Trip A, and every time I refill I reset Trip B. About 90% of the time when I reset Trip B it also resets Trip A which I don't think it should do (It doesn't on my other bikes). Does that happen to others as well? or is there a glitch in my instruments? Doesn't happen EVERY time, but it does MOST of the time. I'll have 43 miles on Trip A, and 203 on Trip B, stop for gas, fill up, reset B and then when I take off A and B both read zero. Then I have to try and remember how many were on A and add it to any additional miles accumulated on A to record for that night. Resetting A does not reset Trip B.

Other than that...I'm liking the bike more and more, finding I like riding in D mode and using the - button when I want to downshift for a turn or a hill. I'm averaging 74 mpg. I think maybe the suspension has settled some since I seem to be able to reach the ground better than when I first got it. Handles well, brakes well, getting used to the throb of the 270 twin. Wish it had more power lol, but it's doing everything I'm asking of it. The DCT is brilliant if you just let it do it's thing and don't worry about rpms .

First service was a bit of a pain (separate thread on that lol) but if I go by Honda's recommendation rather than my normal 4K for oil and filter changes at least I won't have to deal with it often, even if I do ride a lot of miles.

Last edited:
You are the first to comment on the 2021’s instrumentation so I guess we’ll just have to wait on more input. Earlier models didn’t seem to have any problems with resetting A and trip B independently. My only problem was remembering which button to push until I got used to doing it. I use my trip meters exactly the way you do. I wonder how many of us were told to use the trip meter for your gas gauge on the first bike and just stuck with it for many years.

Well 3 times today I tried it and it worked perfectly lol, so maybe it's just me doing something wrong. Was funny to watch me stop, Zero B while still running, and then stop again and turn ignition off and restart then zero B as I would in a gas station, then toggle to A to see my mileage still there, and then take off about 2 mph each time while watching A to see if it zeroed lol.

I'm too old for electronics. Using the trip meter for a fuel gauge? Yep.. and before that stopping popping off the gas cap and peering down to see if you could see any gas and not seeing any, wiggling the bike between your knees to see how much splash you heard. Ahh the good old days

I don't know about the 2021, but the 2020 has a setting where it will automatically reset Trip A after filling up with gas and driving a few tenths of a mile. Are you sure that setting isn't turned on?

I honestly don't pay enough attention to it to know how reliable it is at resetting or if there are ways to trick it into not resetting though to explain why it doesn't always reset for you.

I know if you reset the timer on the left that THAT is connected to Trip A and will reset trip A. Discovered that yesterday while riding along playing with buttons lol.

From the 2021 owners manual page 32:
"Also, the tripmeter A, average fuel mileage, fuel consumption, average speed and trip time will automatically reset by refueling until the fuel gauge reaches two segments or more and riding your vehicle for 0.06 mile (0.1 km). You can activate or deactivate the automatic reset mode"

It sounds like at fuel up, you are manually reseting trip B, but the bike is automatically reseting trip A because it detected a refuelling. I suggest your just swap A and B trip assignments and use A for miles since last refuel. Then you can just let the bike reset trip A automatically at fuel up time, and you don't need to manually reset anything.

Got to say I hate hate HATE the electronics on this thing. Trying to turn off the automatic reset, now I'm on Kilometers and can't figure out how to get it back on miles. I am sooooo frustrated. Who in the heck needs all this adjustment and information? Geezalou. God I'm so frustrated.

Got to say I hate hate HATE the electronics on this thing. Trying to turn off the automatic reset, now I'm on Kilometers and can't figure out how to get it back on miles. I am sooooo frustrated. Who in the heck needs all this adjustment and information? Geezalou. God I'm so frustrated.
I have to agree with your thinking. I hate, hate, HATE devices that want to do things for me, because they never do what I want them to do. I'm happiest keeping my basic instrument panel on my 2012 NC. So far there is nothing on the 2021 I would want, except maybe ABS with the manual trans.

I texted my 42 year old son to see if I can ride this thing over to his house and help me figure this out.

Now I have colored lights flashing again.

These instruments may get this bike traded in on something else.

Why not keep it on Km? Kilometers are faster

rotfl

ok my thumbs are sore from pushing buttons, but I'm back to miles, the flashy lights are off, and I ran up and filled it up and reset Trip B, and Trip A did not reset after I took off so I must have auto reset off now too.

It lives in the garage another day...but it's been warned it's on thin ice lol

Seriously almost posted a for sale ad here 30 mins ago.

Seriously almost posted a for sale ad here 30 mins ago.
I suggest re-reading the owners manual on setting up the dashboard line by line starting at the beginning of the first section. Do Exactly what the directions suggest. Do not proceed to the next section until you have mastered and realize what you have just done. Maybe just do 1 or 2 sections each day. Do not jump all over the place. Be PATIENT!

I've calmed down now. Wouldn't have wanted to take by blood pressure an hour or so ago.

Shame too, because the basic bike is good, seriously marred imo, by an unecessarily complicated gauge package.

Last edited:
Today the bike was normal, so it lives in the garage another day. Got to thinking about these Honda electronics and how confusing they are for someone of my age (or my capabilities) and I thought

I don't Uber, I don't Door Dash, I don't Ebay or Amazon, I don't Alexa, I don't Nest, I don't Ring, I don't stream, I don't do the internet on my cell phone, and apparently I don't do Honda Electronics lol

Last edited:
Today the bike was normal, so it lives in the garage another day. Got to thinking about these Honda electronics and how confusing they are for someone of my age (or my capabilities) and I thought

I don't Uber, I don't Door Dash, I don't Ebay or Amazon, I don't Alexa, I don't Nest, I don't Ring, I don't stream, I don't do the internet on my cell phone, and apparently I don't do Honda Electronics lol
Being more positive in your outlook might help you conquer your bike's dashboard.
We are approx the same age (born in late 1950).
I also don't Doordash, Alexa, Nest, or Ring.
However, I use only Apple and Mac electronics, which is likely a disadvantage in trying to follow convoluted instructions, yet I have no trouble programming my dashboard.
If you can read and English is your first language, you should have little trouble.
Don't sell yourself short, Ferret.

Back