• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2,526 miles in five days.

Wleuthold

Reaction score
Visit site
After owning my NC for just under one month, I decided to try to take the type of ride I bought it for and headed to from Jacksonville, Florida to Detroit to meet up with my son Sam for a ride to Chicago, his new home.

I left at 5:00 AM on Friday and rode the interstate highway system past Savannah, Columbia, SC., Charlotte, Charleston, WV,. to spend the first night in Columbus, Ohio. 830 days of enduring a very uncomfortable seat, but other than that the bike performed perfectly.

I left Columbus at 6:00 to meet Sam in Berkley, Michigan at 10:00 but found I-75 completely blocked heading into Detroit that caused me at least a 30 minute delay so I got there a little late. Then Sam, his friend Zack and I rode to Ann Arbor for lunch. Sam and I then completed the 250 mile ride into Chicago, hitting rain heading into the city.

Sunday was a day of rest as I visited with Sam and his girlfriend, having brunch, riding and driving around the city and dinner in the evening.

I headed out at 5:45 on Monday for the long trek home in 47 degree weather. Got through Chicago easily and hit northern Indiana where the temperature was 44 degrees with around a 25 mph cross wind. It was not pleasant. After Indianapolis it got better and continued to improve all the way past Louisville, Lexington and Knoxville to Newport, Tennessee.

Yesterday I headed home from there at around 7:00. It was cold, 47 degrees, foggy and damp upon leaving. The day warmed up though and although it rained on me a couple of times, the ride was easy. I passed Asheville, NC., Columbia, SC., and Savannah heading home.

My VStream windshield performed great, making for a comfortable ride except when the cross wind was so strong it just came around it. I averaged 64 mpg running at speeds between 55 and 85 mph depending on the posted speed limits and the traffic flow. The longest on any tank was 200 miles and I never put more than 2.95 gallons in the tank. I used just under 40 gallons for the entire ride. The seat became bearable after the first day but it sure could be better. I am now at 4150 miles after one month but I don't have any long rides planned for a while.

Overall, the NC was very good and made for a great ride.

All and all it sounds like you had a very good ride. I agree with you about the performance of the Vstream windshield. As it gets colder, electric clothing sure makes any ride a lot more comfortable. However, anything bets riding in the heat. I hope to ride the East coast myself this month, but family keeps setting my trip back. Fall is a great time to ride!

Good ride. Thanks for sharing and see you again soon I hope - 2nd Annual FL RTE on 10/20/13!
I am still planning to come along. We need to set up a place to meet for the ride down.

And OCR, I didn't plan for the cold but I did plan for rain so I had enough gear to stay reasonably comfortable in the cold.
I did it by wearing jeans with rain pants over for the bottoms. For the top I wore a tee shirt, turtle neck, two sweat shirts and a rain jacket.
My gloves weren't true cold weather gloves but worked as the windshield pushed the wind away from my hands enough to keep them reasonably comfortable.
I found the rain pants flapped around violently at the bottom in the wind. It was enough to cause a blister before I fixed it using rubber bands to stabilize the fabric.

Good report. My weather here in the Ozarks has turned cool - mid 40's in the AM. Last few weeks have been heavy fog in the mornings w/ temps in the 60's. Been cold enough to turn on my heated grips the first time this week. I will never own another bike w/out them.

Looking very comfortable long road trip and I really impressed with your road trip because you have covered many distances within 5 days what about your bike?

Back