• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2000 Kawasaki Super Sherpa

Afan

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
I would like to hear opinions about Super Sherpa as a bike for multiple days, around-a-state-and-the-neighbor-states trips on 55mph state/county roads, as well as unsurfaced roads, like sand, gravel, loose gravel, mud...?
I found one in my area, 2000 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, for $2000, and sounds as a good deal. I'm "off-road beginner" - if it makes a difference. I plan to keep my 2013 NC700X DCT for longer, paved trips.
I like especially that it has 6 gears - which will smooth the ride.

Thanks for any info.

P.S. If somebody can compare it to Himalayan, that would be awesome! :D

small bikes like the Sherpa are ideal for actually going “off road”. Nobody who has EVER actually ridden off road wants a heavier bike. I know the cool kids love the big ADV bikes (I love them as touring bikes) but they are way too heavy in nasty stuff. A 250-300 lb machine is a whole lot more fun in those conditions than any 600 lb machine.

small bikes like the Sherpa are ideal for actually going “off road”. Nobody who has EVER actually ridden off road wants a heavier bike. I know the cool kids love the big ADV bikes (I love them as touring bikes) but they are way too heavy in nasty stuff. A 250-300 lb machine is a whole lot more fun in those conditions than any 600 lb machine.

Which is why I love my little CRF300L , preceded by its 250 ancestor.

I know Charlie and Ewan did “The Long Way ‘Round” on big GS’s, BUT they also had a truck full of help following them to help when things went bad. I’ve a very good friend who’s a consummate BMW guy and loves his GS (and has over 130k miles on his ’12 model). He did a part of the TAT on it. Made it ok, BUT said it “worked him to death”. He went back and finished the following year on one of the old “Rally” (450cc I think) singles. Made it great and had a lot more fun.

There was a great thread on the ADV forum by jdowns where he took a super sherpa to Central America. I've wanted one ever since.

Back