• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Need Help 2012 NC700 Chain End Plate loose

Sherl

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all
I got a 2012 NC700 and I noticed that the end plates are loose and have excessive play between the nuts and the swingarm. It clatters and makes noise when the bike is on move. Is the adjustment mechanism broken or whats happening here? I counted threads from the end of the nuts, I think its 9 threads on one side and 10 on the other.

1596581339322.png

If the chain slack is currently correct, and the axle nut is properly torqued, the just snug up the adjuster plate nuts and ride on. Once the axle nut is tight, the adjusters can’t move the axle anyway. What may have happened is the nuts were left loose the last time the chain was adjusted, or the axle moved forward slightly when the axle nut was tightened, causing the adjuster plates to come a little loose.

Thread count on the adjuster studs is not important. When adjusting the cain, use the marks on the swingarm, or use a chain alignment tool to be sure the rear wheel is in alignment.

@670cc I think I tried screwing the other nut so that it can mate on the end plate but it appears to be that the long screw/bolt in the adjuster is worn (washed out) on few threads and it simply rotates instead of screwing (moving forward). Any idea here?

It won't hurt anything, but obviously you'd want it tight if possible. I change tires on mine often and it's difficult to keep the tire pushed all the way forward when tightening the axle nut back up. It always seems like they are tight as I push foward on the tire while tightening the axle nut, then when it's tight, they end up having a little slack in there. Most of the time I just leave it. Long as they aren't just flopping and the chain is aligned and has proper slack, you shouldn't have an issue out of it.

@670cc I think I tried screwing the other nut so that it can mate on the end plate but it appears to be that the long screw/bolt in the adjuster is worn (washed out) on few threads and it simply rotates instead of screwing (moving forward). Any idea here?
If the nut spins on the thread, someone may have used the ol’ “tighten it ‘til it strips, then back it off a quarter” method. But for now, if the axle is tight and the chain slack is right, you could ride the bike. If the nut is stripped, put a new nut on, otherwise what you would probably need to do in the near futue is pull the axle out and then pull the whole aduster out the back of the swingarm. Inspect the adjuster to see what is broke or stripped and needs replacement.

Back