• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2012 NC700X DCT guidance

heisok

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I went and looked at an 2012 NC700X DCT at a used cycle dealer which sells mostly sport bikes. They have it listed on their site as the NC700X, and manual transmission. I spotted the ABS light in one of the pictures, so knew it was the DCT, and that is why I looked.. They want $5,000.

It looked fine cosmetically, but I did not have them start it. They do not do test rides. Here is the big catch leading to my thought that maintenance might have been slack. The chain looked grimy (Maybe deteriorated), and was very loose. 2 1/2 to 3 inches of slack. If I tried, I might have been able to remove it from the sprocket. Way too loose to ride. They have had the bike for a long time. Could be a year or more. I pointed out the chain. Also I would need to replace the tires, as they look just ok to me.

If I got a good enough price, could it be worth the risk that at 15,000 miles not a lot could have gone bad? I am thinking about being straight with them about defects, and offering $4,000 or less. Do them a favor by freeing up some cash.

Thanks,

Denis

If it’s cosmetically sound, not much mechanical could have gone bad in 15,000 miles. In fact, that may not be the original chain because it’s hard to get that many miles from the OEM chain. Worst case you would need to verify valve adjustment, and maybe change the coolant and brake fluid due to age. The battery is probably no good if it is the original.

$5000 seems way too high for an 8 year old, poorly maintained bike. By comparison, there is an ad on here for a 2015 DCT with very low miles and in better shape on the east coast, and it’s not sold yet even at $4000.

Thanks Greg,

Good point about the price. With patience, I should be able to pick something up where the starting price is not so high. Maybe with bags. I might shoot them a low offer, but getting a bike that was obviously well cared for might save me in the end.

You don’t have travel or shipping costs with the local option, of course, but I agree with 670’s comments.

Back