• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2012 NC700X for 3000.00? Scratched up -- good deal or avoid?

kezug

Reaction score
Visit site
I am going to look at this bike but the seller said it took a gravels spill and shows only these pics of the scratches.

Says it rides well and nothing else wrong with it.

Are these pieces even replaceable if I can locate them?

Should I avoid this bike just because of this "spill"?

From the pics, I dont see any other damage due to this spill. The handle grips have guards on them and that looks fine too.

Has 16K miles.

1629043066437.png

1629043108385.png

The damage pics look accurate to the type of fall. If the rest of the bike has been maintained it wouldn't be a reason to avoid. It is up to you whether you want to invest in fixing the damage. Link to new: Parts You may be able to find them used for less. Not sure if the bike comes with a lot of extras. I see the side cases. I would expect the damage to reduce the value. I feel the price is high. If you can accept the damage and get a lower price this may be a good option.

Just so you know, that is way too high for the damage shown IMHO. Personally, i wouldn't pay more than 2k for it. I purchased my first NC700, a 2012, from a college grad for $2500.00 with 1720 miles on it and it was near perfect condition!! Good deals are out there, that is just not one of them at that price. If everything else is as said to be in good shape, i'd offer him 2k and walk away with or w/o it. just my $.02 worth :{)

Last edited:
If it was for me, I wouldn’t even bother going to look at it unless the price was $2000 or less. Any of the plastic can be replaced but the cost can add up. If you go to salvage businesses or eBay for plastic parts, most of those parts are beat up, too. To get nice plastics you almost need to go to Honda for them and pay new part prices.

If the owner can’t keep the bike in good cosmetic condition, it makes me question their diligence in maintaining it properly.

Surely there is a different bike out there for sale in far better shape for the same or just a little more money. It’s not just that the price is high, but the bike looks like junk.

I don’t disagree with the thoughts above, but I also know the used market for everything is crazy right now because there’s no supply of new things. So the price doesn’t surprise me.

I think that price is high, too. Plus, the lack of care in riding it speaks volumes. I’d look at the condition of the oil, brake fluid, etc, if you’re really going to consider it.
I walked away from two 2013’s that had less mileage than this one, both priced at 3500 in good- very good condition, before buying a VERY well farkled 2013 with 8k miles on it, in pristine condition, for 3600.
IF the oil looks good, and the rest of it is in very good condition, I’d say 2000 would be a fair deal.
Patience is your friend when looking at used bikes.

Yeah, I am going to pass on it. I did go see it and sat on it. The seller wanted cash in hand for my test ride. I dont blame him but I didnt have cash in hand. He said the previous owner did the slide causing the scratches. The rest of the bike looked good, a bit dusty dirty though.

I do like how it felt sitting on it. I have never been on an NC700X before. I really wish he had let me take it for a test ride, even though I had my motorcycle to leave him with.

He had it listed at 3500 and lowered it to 3000 so I am sure he is not going to go much lower than that. For that, i will pass.

Plus, had i bought it, I would have my own issues selling it later, with higher miles, and with "the scratches" unless I paid more to fix. So for all that, i will skip.

If it was for me, I wouldn’t even bother going to look at it unless the price was $2000 or less. Any of the plastic can be replaced but the cost can add up. If you go to salvage businesses or eBay for plastic parts, most of those parts are beat up, too. To get nice plastics you almost need to go to Honda for them and pay new part prices.

If the owner can’t keep the bike in good cosmetic condition, it makes me question their diligence in maintaining it properly.

Surely there is a different bike out there for sale in far better shape for the same or just a little more money. It’s not just that the price is high, but the bike looks like junk.
I'm a bit confused by your assessment. The seller has a couple of scratched panels and side bag and all of a sudden the guy's a complete mechanical idiot and doesn't know how to change his oil? God forbid any of us drop our bikes, you'd have us hauled away and boiled in tar for lack of caring and mechanical negligence. I'm not sure how you determined his maintenance schedule by two pictures. True, the price might be a tad high (for some) but it's still worth more than 2 grand. A couple of scuffed panels, clearly from a drop, doesn't make it junk, nor does it make someone inept at vehicle care. Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater, jeesh.

a can of truck bed spray would do wonders for those thrashed panels-it is my go to for covering damage--that being said the bike is 8 years old--offer the guy what you want-if he doesn't take it another will come along--never fall in love with anything on Craigslist is my motto

I'm a bit confused by your assessment. The seller has a couple of scratched panels and side bag and all of a sudden the guy's a complete mechanical idiot and doesn't know how to change his oil? God forbid any of us drop our bikes, you'd have us hauled away and boiled in tar for lack of caring and mechanical negligence. I'm not sure how you determined his maintenance schedule by two pictures. True, the price might be a tad high (for some) but it's still worth more than 2 grand. A couple of scuffed panels, clearly from a drop, doesn't make it junk, nor does it make someone inept at vehicle care. Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater, jeesh.
I said I would question the sellers diligence in maintaining the bike. I did not say, as you put it, "the guy's a complete mechanical idiot and doesn't know how to change his oil", nor did I ever say that I had determined the seller's maintenance schedule. If you're confused by my assessment, it may be because you thought you read something that wasn't there.

Depending on the local market availability my opinion would be to pass on a bike with crash damage any more than a parking lot drop. A little fine sandpaper and a black magic marker covers those marks fairly well.

There are just too many motorcycles to choose from that don't have to be repaired to look good.

General comment is that we have to "buy the seller" before buying the bike (or anything of value). If the first 5 minutes of conversation with the seller goes well and I get a good feeling about the person and his/her willingness to discuss whatever comes up in that initial conversation I'm more willing to proceed.

Beat up plastic is expensive and cosmetic. As long as the structure and mechanics of the bike are solid, and you don't mind having a battlescarred bike, this could be a good way to get a good bike cheap.
If you want a pretty bike, you'll probably spend more than you save to replace the cosmetic pieces and might be be better off paying a little more for a less damaged bike.
For reference, there are plenty of wrecked "totaled" small displacement bikes (think Ninja 250/300) because some plastic got damaged and replacement fairings can be more expensive than just paying out the whole bike (from an insurance company point of view).

My NC700 got backed into while parked within a few weeks of buying it (this was in 2012). Knocked over, scratched the muffler, radiator, bar end, and mirror, bent the brake lever, but effectively only cosmetic damage that's barely noticeable unless you're looking for it. Got an estimate done at the shop, since it was a new bike they quoted for brand new OEM parts (including muffler and rad) which came to something like $6000. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the function of the machine, this was purely cosmetic damage. Needless to say I have an almost 10 year old bike with almost 10 year old scratches on the muffler and radiator...

Each of those pieces of plastic is ball park 150$ for the side pieces. So 300-450$ to replace damage on the side + 300 ish for a replacement bag. So guess 750-1000$ to return unit to stock condition. The question we must ask is would an undamaged bike be worth 4000$? Maybe depending on the accessories included.

Back