• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2013: What did you do WITH your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fired it up again an went to work again, just the normal routine. The fog was bad, but I still had a great ride.

I charged the battery up, started her & let it idle for 5 minutes. I gave the throttle a few blips and then I shut her off.

I think idling speed will not charge battery.
It should be at least 2500-3500 rpm to charge?
Did you mean charge battery via charger first?
:p

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

took her out and gave her a good wash, after yesterdays run out on wet salty roads it looked as though someone had painted her a mucky grey, she's now back in doors gleaming.

I did some site seeing this weekend on my bike. Weather wasn't to bad and enjoyed checking out some of Arkansas history. One of the sites I stopped at is called Reed's Bridge.

The Bayou Meto (Reed’s Bridge) Battlefield is on the National Register of Historic Places under Criteria A with national significance by virtue of its status as the most intact of the three battlefields associated with the nationally significant Little Rock Campaign, and the battlefield that thus best represents that campaign. It is also noteworthy as the battle that blunted the Union drive to capture the Arkansas capital and for its role as a catalyst leading to a duel a week later between two Confederate generals.

You can read more if your interested at the two sites listed below.

Pulaski County, Arkansas

Reed's Bridge - Battle of Reed's Bridge - Aug 27,1863

20131127_152203.jpg

20131127_152343.jpg

20131127_152655.jpg

20131127_154005.jpg

Fired it up again an went to work again, just the normal routine. The fog was bad, but I still had a great ride.

Same here for today.
I did go to half moon bay on saturday. Selling my little boat and two guys want to see it. Afterwards, both of those guys wanted to know about the nc/dct.

Yes. I plan on doing this twice a week during the winter, along with adding a fuel stabilizer in my gas tank.

Personally, I don't think this is a good idea, IMHO. The only thing starting the bike up for a few minutes does, is introduce h2o into the system, and the bike won't warm up enough to evaporate it out. You will be insuring water is now sitting in your muffler, and your crankcase will have moisture condensate in it.

In theory I guess, you could start it up long enough for the fan to kick on, then you would know it reached full operating temperature, but that can take quite a while, and I can't see any good reason to do such a thing.

I would just circulate the fuel stabilizer through the tank and injectors the one time, make sure the battery is on charge, and wrap it up snug for the winter.

I think idling speed will not charge battery.
It should be at least 2500-3500 rpm to charge?
No. Idling engine will charge battery. Rpms have no effect on the charger input for the battery. Your bike will charge the battery the same amount no matter how fast or slow you are running. The voltage regulator is there just for that job.

Not totally correct. Voltage regulator prevents overvoltage from causing harm. It controls voltage but not current. How much currrent the generator puts out is related to rpms. If the generator capability is marginal for the load idle will not charge the battery. If battery on a vehicle is low you can often see headlight output increase when reving engine.

Now on the NC with only headlights on there may be enough power to slowly charge the battery but if you have extras powered up you will likely be using more power than the gererator generates.

Disagree slightly :p. I can't say for the NC for sure but there was no difference on the generator output idling or revving the engine on two of my previous bikes. (Ducati & Yamaha). I actually measured the output when both had electrical problems at one point.

Disagree slightly :p. I can't say for the NC for sure but there was no difference on the generator output idling or revving the engine on two of my previous bikes. (Ducati & Yamaha). I actually measured the output when both had electrical problems at one point.

All alternators' output varies according to revs. The difference isn't as pronounced as the old dynamos used to be but there's still a fair difference. The NC alternator gives peak output of 420 watts at 5000 rpm. They haven't published the output curve though.

The regulator will control voltage regardless of rpm but amperage is how much power is being put out by alternator. At low rpm this amperage can be less than the bike is using and thus not charging the battery. It can be slighlty more than bike is using and thus charge the battery slowly. Chris explains well that there is a curve for the specific alternator in our bike and if we had access to it would tell what the alternator is producing at idle. Typically you will put more charge in a battery riding the bike than idling in the driveway. OCR keeps telling us to just ride. Now here is another reason to do so.

Then again I have seen how much snow is on the ground in Finland in October, so OCR's advice may be difficult for you this time of year.

True. I didn't think about the amps at all.

BTW, no snow at all so far which is a bit unusual, but winters tend to vary quite a bit in western Finland as far as snow amount is concerned. The NCX on the local dealer floor should be rideable since roads are dry, but it seems that it's not a test drive bike.

I'm waiting to try the 700 and the 750 back to back once spring arrives.

Motoswami (Pete) and I went for a nice little ride up to and around Helen, Ga today. Had a nice cup of coffee and a small piece of strawberry pound cake. It was cool out, but beautiful blue skies all day long...today, not so much :(

Requisite picure...

2013-12-13%2014.09.55-M.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back