• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2014 NC700X losing torque

rantwiler

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2014 NC700X with 10,200 miles on it. I noticed it started to lose power on the higher end. It topped out at 80. And I have had it faster. I couldn’t keep up with a DRZ 400. I have checked the valve clearance, air filter and just check the cam chain tensioner. All are good it looks like. Any other ideas? I am running out of ideas and don’t really want to take it in somewhere

Anything blocking the air intake to the air box ? Kinked breather pipe to the petrol tank ?

Mouse nest in the air filter?

Fuel filter?

This is all I can contribute. Outside of this and what you've already checked, my only suggestion would be to take it to a dealer you trust

Interested to see what the problem is, as this is unusual. Please keep us updated.

Possible that you got some bad gas, or trash in fuel tank. Have you tried putting in some fresh 93 octane just to see if it changes anything?

Have you done the basics? Compression test? Valve adjustment check? Good to rule out the basics before more complicated tests, or heaven forbid, taking it to the Stealer.

Have you done the basics? Compression test? Valve adjustment check? Good to rule out the basics before more complicated tests, or heaven forbid, taking it to the Stealer.
I have done the valve adjustment and going to do a compression test soon.

Fuel filter?

This is all I can contribute. Outside of this and what you've already checked, my only suggestion would be to take it to a dealer you trust
That is on my list to check. From what I understand I have to pull the fuel pump to check that and I want to check some of the “easier” things first. Fuel pump runs and it runs like it’s getting enough fuel. But I could be wrong

Interested to see what the problem is, as this is unusual. Please keep us updated.

Possible that you got some bad gas, or trash in fuel tank. Have you tried putting in some fresh 93 octane just to see if it changes anything?
That is possible. The other bikes the fueled up at the same time and same pump are still running strong. So I didn’t think that was the issue. But it definitely could be. I will check it as soon as I can

There have been a few cases where the cam chain tensioner failed and the cam chain jumped a tooth or more. This would obviously cause poor running and reduced power. How badly it would run if it jumped one tooth, I don’t know.
Perhaps if jumped one tooth, it couldn’t even get out of it’s own way. The camshaft timing could be verified visually by removing the crankshaft and camshaft inspection hole plugs and checking the coincidence of the timing marks.

Back