• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2015 DCT - Is this 'Buzzing' normal?

Chabon

Reaction score
Visit site
2015 DCT with 81,000 miles.

So I happened to have my key turned on and engine was off and could hear a very faint buzz . I put my head near the right side engine case and could hear a faint electrical type buzzing or humming noise. If I put my ear against the clutch cover it sounded like it was coming from behind it. I suspect it is coming from the linear solenoids but not sure. Is this a normal sound or is more going on? Everything shifts and runs fine. If someone could please go and put your ear to your DCT clutch cover and tell me if you hear anything :)

Might be the fuel pump. It has to pressurize the fuel to the injectors before starting (I.E. when you turn the key on, before you press the starter). If that's it it stops once operating pressure is reached.

Might be the fuel pump. It has to pressurize the fuel to the injectors before starting (I.E. when you turn the key on, before you press the starter). If that's it it stops once operating pressure is reached.
Thanks but no, not the fuel pump for sure. If I press my ear against clutch cover that is definitely the source. The buzz is constant as long as the key is on and the engine is off. I’m not sure if it makes the noise with the engine running because the noise is very subtle.

...If I press my ear against clutch cover that is definitely the source. ...
It is hard to locate the source of the sound with this method, because sound is easily transmitted in metal. Most shops use the mechanic's stethoscope. You also need some experience for this, but this is better than the "by ear" method. The stethoscope is easily available and cheap on Amazon, for example.

It is hard to locate the source of the sound with this method, because sound is easily transmitted in metal. Most shops use the mechanic's stethoscope. You also need some experience for this, but this is better than the "by ear" method. The stethoscope is easily available and cheap on Amazon,
Point taken on the stethoscope. I use a piece of tubing usually. Do you have a DCT? Have you noticed this buzzing near the clutch cover? I have a SCS connector ordered so I can check if there are any stored MIL codes. I am also just going to find the connector for the solenoids and disconnect to see if sound goes away and test resistance.

... I am also just going to find the connector for the solenoids ...
Which solenoid? There are two linear solenoid valves under the seat. Normally, the solenoid does not make a sound. It is an electromagnetic coil. But the valve, if it were loose, could make a buzzing noise in a magnetic field. Wild guessing because I haven't seen anything like this with this DCT.

Which solenoid? There are two linear solenoid valves under the seat. Normally, the solenoid does not make a sound. It is an electromagnetic coil. But the valve, if it were loose, could make a buzzing noise in a magnetic field. Wild guessing because I haven't seen anything like this with this DCT.

I’m not sure about the ones under the seat, I am talking about the ones behind the right clutch cover. I am guessing it is these solenoids making the buzz because I don’t see any other moving electrical parts in this location. And like you mentioned earlier the sound could be being transmitted from another location,

Actually, I don’t care what’s making the noise if it is common and inconsequential. If it is a sign of impending doom I need to find the source and repair. It shifts fine so for now I will keep riding .

63EFB585-8C4A-46FF-B665-A28F40489E0F.png

Attachments

• A8EE1F4F-48D7-4D96-B866-FEDD1E8DD5FA.jpeg
    A8EE1F4F-48D7-4D96-B866-FEDD1E8DD5FA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
I’m not sure about the ones under the seat, I am talking about the ones behind the right clutch cover. ..
You are right . I misread the diagram from the service manual.
On the other hand, if the ignition switch is on but the engine is not running, then this solenoid is not energized. The PCM activates the solenoid valve only when the engine is running above approximately 1600 RPM and the oil pump is operating.

You are right . I misread the diagram from the service manual.
On the other hand, if the ignition switch is on but the engine is not running, then this solenoid is not energized. The PCM activates the solenoid valve only when the engine is running above approximately 1600 RPM and the oil pump is operating.
Good to know, then maybe not the solenoids. I will start pulling connectors and fuses to locate the source (when it cools off outside!).

More progress today. Dug out the connector for the linear solenoids. Connector is buried under the frunk, not fun. Buzz went away when I disconnected the solenoids. I checked resistance, spec is between 5.0 and 5.6 ohms at 68 degrees. I got 6.1 ohms on each of the solenoids at 86 degrees.

I think I’ll call it good and live with the buzz. I need to get it put back together before I forget where all the fasteners go!

B1FE7E12-5B92-47AC-9B65-DDF54646DFF1.jpeg

Back