• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2015 nc700x servicing

ROBERT DOSS

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys..
What do you run as a good engine oil?
How far do you ride between changes?
I've read the manual, don't think 8k between changes is good for a motor.
This is my last bike, had everything there is out there, from 2 stroke triples to the Superglides, just traded my cbr300r in in this bike.
Also, your opinion on tires, the dealer threw on Contimotions, next tires will be out of my pocket.
I ride with soft bags, sometimes 14 to 16 hrs one way on tours..

Welcome to the forum!

Honda recommends 8000 mile oil change intervals. They have been doing so on some of their models for about 20 years now. That’s what I follow. If you want to decide on an arbitrary oil change interval of your own, that you’re happy with, by all means do so.

The recommended oil specifications are in the owner’s and service manuals. Beyond that, there isn’t much to discuss. We frown on favorite oil type/brand discussions, aka “the dreaded oil thread”. If you want to deviate from Honda’s oil specs, again that‘s your choice.

In the Tire Tech Talk subforum, you’ll find discussions on tire choices. Since they’re there, we probably don’t want to start those threads all over again here. Look here: https://nc700-forum.com/forums/tire-tech-talk.13/

Honda builds a pretty reliable machine and all you need to know about oil and maintenance is in the owner's manual. Deviation from that is solely up to you and what you know better than the manufacturer.

My favorite tire on the NC700X was the Bridgestone T31 and the T30 before that.

No real reason to run anything other than Honda GN4 oil for the recommended 8k mile intervals. Tires depend on your riding style. I read up on the Metzeler Roadtec, seemed to be well praised for longevity and performance, Michelin Pilot Road 5's are good, Pirelli Angel GT's, etc....all road tires. If you get offroad any, you may need to consider other options.

8000 miles is not a long distance in today's engines and today's oils..heck, my car manufacturer recommends oil changes at 10,000 miles (and it spends more rpms than the nc700). The manual states 10w30 or 10w40 (some of us use a slightly different weight-I know I do). Just ensure the oil you use does NOT contain energy conservative element-or whatever terminology they are using now.

Remember the NC is only making 73hp per liter with a low rpm limit. It's probably the least stressed engine you've ever had on two wheels.

8000 miles is not a long distance in today's engines and today's oils..heck, my car manufacturer recommends oil changes at 10,000 miles (and it spends more rpms than the nc700). The manual states 10w30 or 10w40 (some of us use a slightly different weight-I know I do). Just ensure the oil you use does NOT contain energy conservative element-or whatever terminology they are using now.

I've always heard it called friction modifiers Lol.

NEXT QUESTION:
as the motor warms up, the engine has a very distinct CLACK in the top end.
by 15 to 20 miles warmup, it gets kinda loud at idle...the engine has 3100 miles on it,
not used to the noise yet...is it normal for this top/valve train noise?
gets me 66 mpg at 75 mph(interstate) , runs well otherwise.
Going to run it out to the first oil change, maybe it'll quieten down some..
decided to run GN4 10w40 in it..thanks for the input, guys.

NEXT QUESTION:
as the motor warms up, the engine has a very distinct CLACK in the top end.
by 15 to 20 miles warmup, it gets kinda loud at idle...the engine has 3100 miles on it,
not used to the noise yet...is it normal for this top/valve train noise?
gets me 66 mpg at 75 mph(interstate) , runs well otherwise.
Going to run it out to the first oil change, maybe it'll quieten down some..
decided to run GN4 10w40 in it..thanks for the input, guys.

When the NC700X was first introduced, the Honda recommended valve lash adjustment interval was 8000 miles. Honda revised that to a 16,000 mile interval on later model years. Since no apparent mechanical engine changes were made between early and later NC700 engines, some of us assumed the 16,000 mile interval recommendation could be retroactively applied.

Noisy valves are generally considered good, because it’s far better to have them loose than too tight. Nonetheless, if the noise concerns you, a valve adjustment could be done, even though by mileage, it’s technically not yet due.

The clutch basket can rattle when in neutral, so make sure that’s not what you’re hearing.

My oil smelled so bad/ nasty/ strong the one time I forgot to change it at my normal 4000 mile interval. That will never happen again.
I also have the noise you describe. Took it to the dealership, they said it was not a problem, and after hearing the same sound on some videos, I figured it is a normal happy NC sound. The valves were checked, and are right in the middle of the range.

No harm in checking the valves.....it's easily done with minimal fuss.....if any. Then, you'll have fresh oil and coolant!. Ride on

Back