• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2016 BMW R1200RS - Talk me off the edge

ld_rider

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm getting weak in the knees for this new Beemer - 125hp and about the same weight as my DCT...Shaft drive and electronic cruise control. 45+ mpg...Of course I could buy 2 1/2 new NCs for what BMW is asking but dayum, I REALLY like this bike! I live about 40 miles from the largest BMW dealer in the country (MAX BMW) and he has a bunch of these in stock.....I must be strong!

2016-BMW-R-1200-RS-from-the-side-L.jpg

How about this from Consumer Reports :
I know....I know....

My director had to put about $2,600 into his 4 year old GS w/31,000 miles on it last year. Final drive went poof! one day and also took out the rear disc brake.

BUT....it is sorta like that totally psycho chick that is just crazy hot.....Sometimes you gotta take the bad with the good ;-)

I almost bought a BMW before I bought my NC700x. And I still probably twice a year pull up the website and look at the adv models. Then I remember exactly how many people have problems with their BMW (as noted above) and I close the browser.

I own 2 BMW autos - picked them both up in Munich for European delivery, and have done BMW driving experience down south, so I love BMW, but I don't know what kind of crack their motorcycle engineers are smoking that they have that many problems so as much as I'd like to have another BMW in the family, I'm keeping my Honda.

I have put over 500,000 miles on BMW's. I have owned seven of them. I have ridden them to the top of the world. I have never had one of them not get me there and back. I have had five Hondas. Combined mileage about 200,000 miles. My ST1100 took a tow truck ride once and my NC700 DNF'ed a Labrador trip.

What matters to me is the joy they bring in riding them. If Honda made a BMW it would indeed be perfect - perfectly bland. I am having trouble finding a reason to light up the NC these days. My R100RS and R1200GS are both more fun to ride.

I do not worry about making it home and wouldn't hesitate to go anywhere on any bike I own. BMW's included.

Last edited:
I've lusted for beemers since I was a teen, but I would be one of the 25% and I can't afford the repairs.

If you want it, can afford it, get it.

Personally when a zero can get 200 miles on the highway that's the one I can't resist. Can't wait to get an electric with enough range. The Bmw is sexy but those numbers don't lie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you look at the paragraph at the top you will see that the average mileage is 3,800 miles per year. Implied in that is that half of the bikes get less mileage than that. My neighbor has a 2004 Harley with less than 5,000 miles on it. How many miles do you think the average BMW gets in a year? And what is a "repair"? It is a nice chart but it begs as many questions as it provides answers.

I would not dispute that the Japanese brands are generally more reliable. They probably are, but that is not my sole criteria in selecting a motorcycle. Consumer Reports should stick to toaster ovens and refrigerators, where their ratings scheme makes sense. Find me a toaster oven owners group

Well once you get on one and take it for a test ride the same could very well happen to you as it did me. Your hooked. There hasn't been any bike that I've owned that handles the switchbacks quite like the flat boxer. The first time I got on one I just said to myself "this is just to kewl." If you do get one it might not be a bad idea to put crash bars to protect those cylinders...and you:).

That chart also says that differences of fewer that 10 points between brands is not meaningful. That means there's really two sets of data on that chart - Japanese bikes and everything else.

I feel your pain - I still love the Beamers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If you look at the paragraph at the top you will see that the average mileage is 3,800 miles per year. Implied in that is that half of the bikes get less mileage than that. My neighbor has a 2004 Harley with less than 5,000 miles on it. How many miles do you think the average BMW gets in a year? And what is a "repair"? It is a nice chart but it begs as many questions as it provides answers.

I would not dispute that the Japanese brands are generally more reliable. They probably are, but that is not my sole criteria in selecting a motorcycle. Consumer Reports should stick to toaster ovens and refrigerators, where their ratings scheme makes sense. Find me a toaster oven owners group

Got beat but here is another one (toaster owners group) https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/toaster-talk/info

Got beat but here is another one (toaster owners group)

I am totally in awe of a toaster group, I really am. But if you thought a Krups made better toast and the data showed a Black & Decker to be half the price and more reliable, have you made a wrong choice?

Appliances | Ratings & Reviews - Consumer Reports

As far as the current topic though, we are all acting as if there is only one correct choice. We have made it, the other guy is wrong, and here is the data to prove it. But the plural of anecdote is not data, and there is no "right" answer. If there was, then the Harley Owners Group ought to disband and they all get step-through Honda 90's. The KTM guys would realize they were all going to freeze to death in the arctic beside their broken 1190's because they didn't get an Africa Twin. And BMW should just be ashamed. Then, having been properly supplanted, those companies could quietly pass into the black veil of history.

The "BMWs rack up the miles so all the problems aren't unexpected" argument is popular in BMW think but I have anecdotal experience that doesn't wash. I've been a member of a very large active BMWMOA club (350+ members) for 10 years and you wouldn't believe how even owners talk about their ownership experiences plus there are plenty of members that don't really ride that much. Even so, many have owned many examples and don't plan on moving away from the brand. It's just part of "gotta pay to play" admission price. I've been to two International Rallies but I didn't ride the BMW, I rode a Honda.

R75/5 toaster questions

Back