• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2016 Honda NC700X Long-Term Review

I am constantly asked what it is, being black it doesn't look like the silver or red ones but I do get the "I've heard of those" from even Harley riders.

I thought the review was good.
The NC seems to be a bike that you either really like or not really at all.
It is a very unique engine/torque/HP/trunk situation and people have to get used to it.
The nice thing is reviews do spit this out and so buyers should know pretty much what they have before it becomes part of their corral.
It is not a high speed, take off like a rocket machine.
I really like mine as the closest thing to an all around bike you will get.
And I love reading the comments on these articles to see how others think.

But, really, the only way to really get an understanding of any bike is to go out and ride it.
And if I recall correctly, the OP of this thread was once a bike dealer, meaning he has tried out a number of bikes most of us will never get to.
And so, if OCR rates this bike high, I am listening!!

So often in reviews previous riding has an effect on one's final decision.
The other MC journalist preferred the Versys 650 over the NC but he has had one for years it sounds.
Maybe a comparo should be done by people who do not own or who is not a regular rider of one of the bikes in the the study.
Besides, my opinion has the Kawasaki and the NC as two totally different style of bikes and should not really be compared to each other.
The Versys is more of a sport bike in an adventure bike look while the NC is more of a cruiser/commuter/mild-off-roader in an adventure bike look.
Meaning the Versys is more of a sport bike and the NC more true adventure bike.

My thoughts.

God bless!!

Michael

It is nice to see the NC700X mature into a bike with it's own place in the crowded middle weight class. When it first came out it was constantly reviewed in 2012 and 2013 with the Versys and Suzuki DL650 and because it gives up so much power to these bikes it was always in last place though it's handling and comfortable egos sometimes received higher marks. Honda designed this bike with other goals in mind besides power output per displacement and most reviews and comparisons did not give this reason for it's existence much due other than a passing comment. General interest forums 3 & 4 years back pummeled the NC700X and the DCT came in for particularly harsh treatment. Things are different now with passage of a few years and the positive press reviews of the Africa Twin DCT. Like it or dislike it the bike has done well for Honda. As the 700 or 750 it's been Honda's top selling motorcycle in Europe for 4 years and often still in the top three models of all brands sold month over month. Some US dealers can't sell them while others have a couple on the floor all the time and find it sells steadily.

Honda gave out a lot of information to the press at the release of the New Concept platform and for some months afterward. Notoriously, the one spoken comment about "starting out by cutting a Jazz engine in half" has moved into urban legend but there was a lot of published technical data along with the overarching design view of the engineering team. Honda knew they were plowing a different field with this bike and it seems to have paid off. The late Kevin Ash published a circumspect review at the time as did the British magazine BIKE. I'm sure there were others but I can't recall them now.

Honda NC700X | Ash On Bikes

Last edited:
i only have a few months but quite a few long-days miles on my NC. fortunately due to being a fairly new rider i'm not preconditioned to expect 130 mph and drag racing acceleration. it was easy to love what my machine does in a lot of real-world traffic and highway conditions riding with other riders on other machines. whatever it is not, what the NC is, is pretty incredible and fun!

It is nice to see the NC700X mature into a bike with it's own place in the crowded middle weight class. When it first came out it was constantly reviewed in 2012 and 2013 with the Versys and Suzuki DL650 and because it gives up so much power to these bikes it was always in last place though it's handling and comfortable egos sometimes received higher marks. Honda designed this bike with other goals in mind besides power output per displacement and most reviews and comparisons did not give this reason for it's existence much due other than a passing comment. General interest forums 3 & 4 years back pummeled the NC700X and the DCT came in for particularly harsh treatment. Things are different now with passage of a few years and the positive press reviews of the Africa Twin DCT. Like it or dislike it the bike has done well for Honda. As the 700 or 750 it's been Honda's top selling motorcycle in Europe for 4 years and often still in the top three models of all brands sold month over month. Some US dealers can't sell them while others have a couple on the floor all the time and find it sells steadily.

Honda gave out a lot of information to the press at the release of the New Concept platform and for some months afterward. Notoriously, the one spoken comment about "starting out by cutting a Jazz engine in half" has moved into urban legend but there was a lot of published technical data along with the overarching design view of the engineering team. Honda knew they were plowing a different field with this bike and it seems to have paid off. The late Kevin Ash published a circumspect review at the time as did the British magazine BIKE. I'm sure there were others but I can't recall them now.

My opinion which don't mean much is: FRUNK all the sport bike editors and sports bike writers who do not understand the real reason for the Honda frunk motorcycle!

I'm not entirely sure what convinced me to buy the NC700X. It was first on my list a long time ago, then I saw that there was a 750 version that may or may not come to the USA, I didn't want the inferior model so I dismissed it outright.

For the longest time, and being from Wisconsin, I thought a cruiser is what I wanted. Went to a Harley Davidson dealership to sit on the new Street 500 'Captain America' model and Sportster 883 -- not for me. I went to the 'other dealer' and sat on a Kawasaki Vulcan S, I felt cramped.

Honda CTX700, less cramped but didn't like the feet forward. I told the sales guy that I didn't like the low, feet forward seating position of cruisers and wanted to see 'above' cars if I could, so we moved to the Versys 650 -- it felt very top heavy to me and I could not flat foot it which was scary.

Sat on a 2014 NC700X manual and out of the half a dozen bikes I've sat on that was the one that fit my ergos the best. I remembered it from back when I was doing research and read a few more reviews, and found out that there wasn't much difference between the 700 and 750. The price was right and the DCT and trunk was just a bonus. A year later I got the 2016 and haven't regretted it. It is a joy to ride and my favorite thing to do with it is to go get a box of donuts with it at 2am, but I also use it to commute to work so it saves me gas money and wear and tear on my aging car.

A lot of reviews tend to lament that this engine is gutless ('Half A Fit etc...') and so on, and a lot of first time riders/car drivers are going to take that to heart and think this bike is some sort of Prius. What's not real evident to the beginner reading these reviews is that it is still a motorcycle and in power-to-weight class of its own against cars, able to beat most of them off the line, break any posted speed limit, and challenge anyone's riding skills in the twisties.

[...the one spoken comment about "starting out by cutting a Jazz engine in half" has moved into urban legend...]

The Jazz is called the Fit here and when the NC was first released, I looked at the bore & stroke specs and saw they were different than the Fit. The two engines do share some concepts and ideas but not actual parts. Mine is a DCT model and I love it more with each mile but you have the put the manual trans/clutch idea out of your mind when you start to ride a DCT bike. Of course, if you keep comparing it with a manual transmission bike you may never be happy! :)

Just read Kevin Ash's review of the NC.
Thanks for posting it.
Even Mr. Ash mentioned the seat issues - slope and slippery.
If they would have flattened it from the start maybe they could have actually pulled away from using the common Honda 3.7 gallon tank and expanded it to 4.0 to 4.2 gallons.
With that amount I could hit 300 miles on a tank.
On that small of a tank!!
It was a great review and now having owned a 2013 NC700X for almost 4 years I can say his review was spot on.
I have really enjoyed the NC from day 1.

We also have a Triumph Tiger 800 XRX.
This is not much of a 2 up touring bike as with the NC.
So I am looking at the Triumph Trophy, a 2003 BMW R1150R (with panniers and backrest /rack for passenger) for sale presently, and a bike from our past we loved and regretted trading, a Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe.
But no matter what happens, I want to retain the NC for all that it is.
Not, as what many might say, what it is not.

Thanks to everyone for sharing the reviews.
It was fun reading them again.
Long live the Honda NC700!

God bless!!

Michael

DD - Are you the BMW man?
2003 BMW R1150R Stock: F47147 | Europa Macchina
This look to you like it has potential?

After many years, getting ready to buy motorcycle #20....however, keeping the NC700X cause it's the best all around motorcycle I've owned. No other bike that I've spent time with will tour, canyon carve, run errands, ride two-up and do it all so comfortably and economically. Also, the available aftermarket parts will convince you that you can modify this bike without compromise.

Great info thanks!

It is nice to see the NC700X mature into a bike with it's own place in the crowded middle weight class. When it first came out it was constantly reviewed in 2012 ...As the 700 or 750 it's been Honda's top selling motorcycle in Europe for 4 years and often still in the top three models of all brands sold month over month. ...

Great info, thanks! Just bought a used 2012 last week with 33K miles on it and badly in need of maintenance. Adjusted the valves, oil change lube everything and running great!

Years ago I read an article that AMA Hall-of-Famer Craig Vetter wrote (or commented on, i don't remember now). Vetter commented about the amazing MPG the NC was capable of right out of the box! He also mentioned how comfortable it seemed, how well it rode/handled for a taller guy and that all rung my bell. I set out to find one to check out and i came to a screeching halt when i saw the price tag!

As the years past i kept checking on them every once in a while and noticed the prices coming down but still remaining out of my reach until Feb 2018 when i scored mine, a 2012 i stole from the original owner with 1702 miles for $2,500! It was completely stock and he had done absolutely nothing to it. It had never been serviced with it's first oil change yet nor even had it's chain adjusted. The guys was a grad student, he was graduating at the University in Pullman Washington and no longer needed it. !!..Yipee zip Skippy for me..!!

Prior to me buying it i had never ridden one nor even seen one in the wild. I totally trusted Vetters recommendation and grabbed it! I had cash in hand ad the guy let me take it for a test ride. I returned with a huge grin on my face....SOLD!!

Now nearing the end of my second season on it I am at about 18k miles, my third set of tires(mounting my 4th rear anyday), my second chain, my 4th and last seat(RDL now). To reiterate what others have all said, i am so pleased with the NC in every way. I am excited to put 100k on it and beyond! :{)

Back