• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2016 NC700x - dead, could it be a bad battery?

1661130225545.png
Temperature data from google. It does get hotter and colder but these are the averages.
My regular rides are about 20+ minutes at a time. I assume this is long enough to restore the battery drain from starting the bike.

View attachment 50245
Temperature data from google. It does get hotter and colder but these are the averages.
My regular rides are about 20+ minutes at a time. I assume this is long enough to restore the battery drain from starting the bike.
Very nice temperatures you have there.

Check battery terminals first to ensure they are connected good. This happened to me with a side by side I had bought brand new. A few months into owning it, I went to crank it and everything was dead. The positive battery cable was loose enough to not make a good enough connection to power anything. I tightened it and it cranked right up. May not be the case with your bike, but it is a quick and simple thing to check for before you go purchasing a new battery.

I was rearranging my garage bays, wanted to move the bikes to the bay that has our car lift. My wife has not been riding her 2016 NC700x very much (lots of reasons), most of the time her bike is started moved 50 or 100 feet, let run for a few minutes and then turned off.

I put the key in the bike, turned it and NOTHING happened. Totally blank screen. No horn. No light. No nothing.

Could it just be a completely dead battery?
Battery is the original factory battery.

What else do I look for on this bike?
It could be the regulator - awkward to get at - it's under the petrol tank, and a fair bit of tupperware has to come off. I replaced the battery when I didn't need to. The damp can cause the green corrosion on the not-brilliant connector. Took it apart, cleaned it, new spade ends, completely covered it with insulation tape and it's fine. No regulator needed, it was the wiring that had corroded. And it was a garaged bike.

I was rearranging my garage bays, wanted to move the bikes to the bay that has our car lift. My wife has not been riding her 2016 NC700x very much (lots of reasons), most of the time her bike is started moved 50 or 100 feet, let run for a few minutes and then turned off.

I put the key in the bike, turned it and NOTHING happened. Totally blank screen. No horn. No light. No nothing.

Could it just be a completely dead battery?
Battery is the original factory battery.

What else do I look for on this bike?
I had a similar problem. On a trip I stopped at a roadside pullout and everything up to then had been just fine. When I got up to leave I had a dead dash, no lights, nothing. I fiddled around with the terminals and everything perked up so I put it down to just gremlins. When I got home from this same 2,000 mile trip I had the bike fail to start ten feet from my garage door. I pushed the bike in and discovered that I had randomly picked up a slightly longer terminal screw and put it on the negative terminal before the trip. The screw had bottomed out before putting the squeeze on the various connectors so the connection was loose and had become intermittent. Changed to the right length screw and bingo, all happy. Another road fix could have been to just put in a washer in the last part of the connector to shim and press everything tight before the screw bottomed out but at home I was able to find the right screw amidst my pile of screws in my junk box and for once, did the fix the right way. It could have been much worse since my failure was many miles from help in both cases.

Back