• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2016 NC750X No Thanks

Ruggybuggy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Today I finally had a chance to get to my Honda dealer and have a look at the new NC750X (Canadian model). The salesman told me the the DCT has been sold out in Canada so it won't be available this year. The bike is pretty much the same as my 2014 accept for different plastics, different front brake caliper, gauges, LED tail light and muffler. Not enough to make me want to jump. If the bike had come with the LED headlight, the better front shocks and the DCT I would have been interested. Interesting that the price on the '16 is actually lower than my '14 when I bought it. $8,999 a very attractive price for American shoppers.

They also had a new 2015 FJ-09 that caught my eye. So sexy and felt well balanced when I sat on it. I was surprised that the seat height was lower than the NC. The price seemed nice for the technology your getting. $10,299.

Attachments

• nc.jpg
    nc.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 2,200
  • nc2.jpg
    nc2.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 2,798
  • fj.jpg
    fj.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 2,451
The only thing that I really want off of the '16 are the extra plastic bits on the frunk that makes it easier to put on a tank bag...can never have too much storage ya know.

Any idea why they are not fitting the led headlight for canada (or the new front shocks - which seems very strange unless they have a binload of old ones to use up)
Mike

Any idea why they are not fitting the led headlight for canada (or the new front shocks - which seems very strange unless they have a binload of old ones to use up)
Mike

The rest of us aren't as sophisticated as those fancy Europeans (and Brits) so we don't need them. LOL.

Are you sure it doesn't have the longer swingarm and changed steering head angle and new forks and adjustable shock. Why on earth not, leaving the joking aside ?

Are you sure it doesn't have the longer swingarm and changed steering head angle and new forks and adjustable shock. Why on earth not, leaving the joking aside ?

Definitely has the same old forks as my '14. I didn't know they changed the steering head angle and lengthened the swing arms. Why? My '14 handles very well and I have no complains but I did upgrade the rear shock. Yes they did change the rear shock but it looks the same as the old shock accept they added preload adjustability.

I did open up the frunk (hate that word) and the storage space is somewhat larger. I meant to turn the key on to check out the diplay but forgot. I've read complains about bad relent ions obscuring visibility.

Mike

From what I heard they built the bike to a price point to compete in the North American market. At $8,999 it a good deal but it's also up against the Yamaha FZ-07 which is sitting at $7,200. I know that it's a different class of bike but first time buyers just see a bike. Look at the FJ-09 sitting beside it priced at $10,299. It's way more bike for not a lot more.

The FJ-09 and FZ-07 aren't even in the same category though. Those are naked uprights and naked sport tourers... and they have significantly higher performance but also drastically less gas mileage.

The FJ-09, for instance, is averaging about 45mpg according to real world usage. This means if you aren't babying it, it's going to get 40mpg. In reality that means your 4.8 gallon tank on the FJ-09 won't get you as far as your 3.7 gallon tank on your NC700.

So yeah, performance wise -- shocks, forks, brakes, engine -- the FZ and FJ are "better", but that's not what the NC700 was designed to tackle in the market. The NC was really made, IMO, to use modern fueling technology to increase mileage, not horsepower, and make a fantastic commuter and long-haul motorcycle.

IMO, the FZ-07 and 09 is just a confused motorcycle. It's not sporty enough to compete with sport bikes, it's not comfortable enough to compete with true sport tourers, and it's not efficient enough to replace commute bikes. No thanks, I'll stay with my 700 and a second bike for fun.

Mike

Japanese manufacturing would never have a binload of anything leftover.........Soichiro Honda and Kiichiro Toyoda would never have allowed it. look up Kanban, lean manufacturing and just-in-time philosophy, truly an art. it's why they kicked our collective asses

Today I finally had a chance to get to my Honda dealer and have a look at the new NC750X (Canadian model).

So somehow Ontario got the bikes before we did in BC? Figures. My DCT will arrive this week and I can't wait for it to get here!

Ruggybuggy, did you notice the make of the OEM tires on the 2016? I can't tell from the pic (thanks for that!).

A colleague of mine and I both sold our vStroms (DL650s). He went with the Yamaha, which was never in the running for me. I was torn between a new DL650 and the NC750, but the DCT made the decision really easy :). As a commuter bike I don't think there is much out there that can really touch it, but that is just my opinion.

Japanese manufacturing would never have a binload of anything leftover.........Soichiro Honda and Kiichiro Toyoda would never have allowed it. look up Kanban, lean manufacturing and just-in-time philosophy, truly an art. it's why they kicked our collective asses,

To true when I delivered to the Nissan car plant in the uk, as I arrived in there yard, and opened the side curtains on the lorry, 4 fork trucks came out and had 26 pallets off in under 10 min,s.

The FJ-09 and FZ-07 aren't even in the same category though. Those are naked uprights and naked sport tourers... and they have significantly higher performance but also drastically less gas mileage.

The FJ-09, for instance, is averaging about 45mpg according to real world usage. This means if you aren't babying it, it's going to get 40mpg. In reality that means your 4.8 gallon tank on the FJ-09 won't get you as far as your 3.7 gallon tank on your NC700.

So yeah, performance wise -- shocks, forks, brakes, engine -- the FZ and FJ are "better", but that's not what the NC700 was designed to tackle in the market. The NC was really made, IMO, to use modern fueling technology to increase mileage, not horsepower, and make a fantastic commuter and long-haul motorcycle.

IMO, the FZ-07 and 09 is just a confused motorcycle. It's not sporty enough to compete with sport bikes, it's not comfortable enough to compete with true sport tourers, and it's not efficient enough to replace commute bikes. No thanks, I'll stay with my 700 and a second bike for fun.

I'm not trying to compare the FZ/FJ to the NC. I stated that the bike's are in a totally different class. The point I was trying to make is that when you have first time buyers looking at an NC and a FZ07 they always look at price and then features. To a first time buyer the NC will lose. Even Yamaha compares the bike's in their advertising. I don't think first time buyers main concern is the gas mileage, it's something that would be way down on the list. How it looks and the price sells bikes to novice bike buyers. More advanced bike buyers will look at many other factors

Last edited:
So somehow Ontario got the bikes before we did in BC? Figures. My DCT will arrive this week and I can't wait for it to get here!

Ruggybuggy, did you notice the make of the OEM tires on the 2016? I can't tell from the pic (thanks for that!).

A colleague of mine and I both sold our vStroms (DL650s). He went with the Yamaha, which was never in the running for me. I was torn between a new DL650 and the NC750, but the DCT made the decision really easy :). As a commuter bike I don't think there is much out there that can really touch it, but that is just my opinion.

You one of the lucky ones to get the DCT, sold out in Canada. The bike was actually in Winnipeg, I'm only 50kms east of the Manatoba border. Sorry I didn't see what tires were on the bike but I suspect they are the same cheap junk that I wore out on my '14.

Here's the only one I've seen locally for sale, it's in another town so I can't confirm the specs and Blue Wing Honda (the local importer for NZ) doesn't have them on it's website yet:

image.jpg

Main thing that stands out for me is no ABS, all they mention in the ad is 'revised' suspension, dash, exhaust and frunk.

My guess is that some importers have slim margins, so Honda has to offer them reduced spec versions so they feel like they're getting a discount.

I'm not trying to compare the FZ/FJ to the NC. I stated that the bike's are in a totally different class. The point I was trying to make is that when you have first time buyers looking at an NC and a FZ07 they always look at price and then features. To a first time buyer the NC will lose. Even Yamaha compares the bike's in their advertising. I don't think first time buyers main concern is the gas mileage, it's something that would be way down on the list. How it looks and the price sells bikes to novice bike buyers. More advanced bike buyers will look at many other factors

Oh I knew you weren't, sorry that wasn't clear. You and I totally agree.

Here's the only one I've seen locally for sale, it's in another town so I can't confirm the specs and Blue Wing Honda (the local importer for NZ) doesn't have them on it's website yet:

View attachment 29092

Main thing that stands out for me is no ABS, all they mention in the ad is 'revised' suspension, dash, exhaust and frunk.

My guess is that some importers have slim margins, so Honda has to offer them reduced spec versions so they feel like they're getting a discount.

No ABS on a 2016 bike?
Here in denmark it is illegal to sell a new bike over 50cc without ABS.

Here in US, only ABS is on the DCT model. The manual has no option for ABS (bummer). Most manufacturers (if not all) has no bin full of anything anymore. Almost all manufacturers have went to the JIT (just in time) inventory model, which was developed by Harley Davidson way back (decades ago).

Here in US, only ABS is on the DCT model. The manual has no option for ABS (bummer). Most manufacturers (if not all) has no bin full of anything anymore. Almost all manufacturers have went to the JIT (just in time) inventory model, which was developed by Harley Davidson way back (decades ago).
I know all that time and $$ getting a degree in logistics would come in handy. The birth of JIT in a manufacturing context is commonly associated with Henry Ford and his pioneering Highland Park and Rouge manufacturing plants circa 1908-1913. Post WWII Japan took the pioneering efforts of Ford and Deming onto a modern era as Toyota developed kanban as the method to forecast demands and level production. Harley was 50 years behind Toyota and 90 years behind Ford.

Last edited:
I know all that time and $$ getting a degree in logistics would come in handy. The birth of JIT in a manufacturing context is commonly associated with Henry Ford and his pioneering Highland Park and Rouge manufacturing plants circa 1908-1913. Post WWII Japan took the pioneering efforts of Ford and Deming onto a modern era as Toyota developed kanban as the method to forecast demands and level production. Harley was 50 years behind Toyota and 90 years behind Ford.
I guess we cant trust documentaries on the Discovery channel anymore-they stressed the point that HD was one of the first to place JIT in full/mass production. My bad.

Back