• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2016: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leisurely Sunday ride on the Natchez Trace Parkway (my favorite local road).
20160703_133726.jpg

20160703_142127.jpg

I love the Tennessee portion of the Natchez Trace. Heck, Middle Tennessee has a lot of great back roads.

We rode home yesterday from Ottawa via the express route, 416 south from Ottawa, then 401 West to Cambridge. A bit breezy but otherwise a lovely day for the ride home. We left home last Tuesday and took back roads to Peterborough where we spent the night. My new Rider 400 GPS palled the route and what a ride it was! We must have passed at least ten road signs warning of curves, with another sign below bearing a pictograph of a motorcycle and the words SLOW DOWN. The views were amazing. The ride was fantastic until about 20 minutes out of Peterborough when it began to rain. The rain stopped just outside of Peterborough. We had a nice walk about town and then dinner at the hotel. On Wednesday we rode to the Peterborough lift lock, a marvel of engineering. Then we headed off to Ottawa, again taking the twisty route as planned by the Tom Tom. We weren't disappointed as the views, smells and less hectic pace were such a joy to experience. We arrived in Ottawa safe and sound and ready for three days of pleasant walks, site seeing, museum tours, a jazz concert with Chick Corea, Christian McBride and Brian Blade, good food and Canada Day celebrations. We capped it off with an amazing Italian dinner and a bottle of Mazi. Fabulous trip. We're so looking forward to the next one.

Finally forced myself to try the Keiti reflective rim sticker again.
Last time it just didn't work and I ended up with a mess, rather than a sticker.
This time though - armed with patience and calm confidence of getting it to work no matter what - I won :)
I'm happy with the result, though it's not perfect, but not so bad either.

IMG_20160705_084600_med.jpg

IMG_20160705_084624_med.jpg

Just a small thing, but makes a lot of visual difference IMHO.
Also, while commuting to work today, I've hit the 5000km (3106 miles) milestone :) Got no picture as there was no place to stop and take it, but I had my GoPro recording so at least I have it documented.
I hope odometer can be seen as I was riding towards the sun.
Next thing to do - chain tension check, need to call dealer.

This was a busy weekend for me and the NC700XD.

I installed the Givi Windscreen (Easy!) and the center-stand (NOT EASY!). My tie downs were the skinny type and they couldn't generate the needed force to tension the springs without skipping, so the "cheat" way didn't work for me. It turns out attaching the spring to the center-stand before mounting it was much easier for me to accomplish. I just put some silicone lubricant on the shaft, lightly got it started with a hammer, then wrapped a towel around my left hand, grabbed the center stand, and worked the shaft the rest of the way in.

I'm 6'2", and 230 so this way worked just fine for me. I was just being stubborn and didn't want to drive to the auto store (again) to get the larger tie downs.

I also did my 1st oil change and yes, the honda gorilla must have installed my oil filter too. I ended up grabbing an oil filter wrench from the local auto store to work the sucker off. This was the first time I ever did any sort of oil change. It's a bit fulfilling to work on your own auto and I'm starting to enjoy it a bit more than I thought I would.

Luckily for me, I did the oil change properly, then I rode from Austin to San Antonio to spend time with my GF and her kiddos.

I have some other things to chat about that are NC related, but I'll save it for another thread. ;-)

Tested Gravity!

Bent my brake pedal back to normal and adjusted my Barkbusters after dropping my NC700X at the gas station. Short story short, I messed up getting it on the center stand. No real damage :eek:

Here's a different kind of milestone . . . my Iron Butt Membership Number in miles on the motorcycle. Got in ~430 miles today, and a total of ~1,450 for the five days around the Holiday weekend.

IBA Member Miles.jpg

IBA Member Number.jpg

I've had my NC five weeks now and about to hit the 600 mile mark and the oil change. I have the center stand, a Sargent seat, the foam grips and today ordered the Shad SH36 cases and mounts. They seem to be the best in that size category, (36 Liters) and have the advantage of a clean looking mounting when the bags are not on the bike and secure when they are. Thanks to the members who have posted pics and comments regarding these bags. I got the cases and mounts including shipping for a $499 total! Now I just have to await their arrival and mount them. Now to go looking back online to see what else I night need....headlight modulator, windscreen, handguards,.....and who knows what else?

I dumped my bike today. It was outside after washing it, and I was moving the bike under cover before it started raining.
There was a little moisture on the grass and the front wheel dropped out when I tried to turn.
(note to self... these aren't knobbies)
The peg scraped the back of my leg and there's dirt in a few places so I'll have to wash it again, but nothing is damaged but my pride.

I've had my NC five weeks now and about to hit the 600 mile mark and the oil change. I have the center stand, a Sargent seat, the foam grips and today ordered the Shad SH36 cases and mounts. They seem to be the best in that size category, (36 Liters) and have the advantage of a clean looking mounting when the bags are not on the bike and secure when they are. Thanks to the members who have posted pics and comments regarding these bags. I got the cases and mounts including shipping for a $499 total! Now I just have to await their arrival and mount them. Now to go looking back online to see what else I night need....headlight modulator, windscreen, handguards,.....and who knows what else?

You won't likely need these - but - here in Wyoming, the OEM heated-grips were by far the most useful upgrade ;-)

I dumped my bike today. It was outside after washing it, and I was moving the bike under cover before it started raining.
There was a little moisture on the grass and the front wheel dropped out when I tried to turn.
(note to self... these aren't knobbies)
The peg scraped the back of my leg and there's dirt in a few places so I'll have to wash it again, but nothing is damaged but my pride.

Sorry to hear but don't worry about it ;-) Some years back I got wide in a turn and slid on the gravel into a ditch, rode it the ~80 miles home. Then replaced the mirror, turn signals, bent handle bar, broken plastic parts . . . but the battle-scars on the remaining parts remind me every time I ride to think about the safety side of things.

I witnessed about 10 pennies worth !!.

Live life,be yourself !!!!.

I am getting ready for the dirt again. Get my first new knee will be put in on July 27th. About two months later, I will get my second knee. Hope to be back in the dirt by 2017. Lots of pain coming for the rest of this year, but it is worth it to get back to be able to really ride the dirt again. If all goes well, the short, fat, ugly, crazy old man will be back in the dirt soon.

Last edited:
I am getting ready for the dirt again. Get my first new knee will be put in on July 27th. About two months later, I will get my second knee. Hope to be back in the dirt by 2017. Lots of pain coming for the rest of this year, but it is worth it to get back to be able to really ride the dirt again.

IDBDR..August 2018 !!!

Dumped my new bike, thank goodness for ATGATT. Right turn onto a gravel road to get rid of a Sport bike dude who was riding my tail and the marbles on pavement gravel got me. A little too much back brake then let her go to straighten out and I high sided. Only damage was to my pride, a busted front brake lever, a tiny amount of rash on the can, jacket and gloves, and mirrors twisted loose. I went over the bike but years of falling racing expert level MTB probably saved my 60 year old bones and joints as I hit shoulder 1st, tucked and rolled over instinctively. Been procrastinating on the Barkbusters but not anymore and maybe some Givi engine bars.. .oh, then skid plate and maybe some lowering links.

Dumped my new bike, thank goodness for ATGATT. Right turn onto a gravel road to get rid of a Sport bike dude who was riding my tail and the marbles on pavement gravel got me. A little too much back brake then let her go to straighten out and I high sided. Only damage was to my pride, a busted front brake lever, a tiny amount of rash on the can, jacket and gloves, and mirrors twisted loose. I went over the bike but years of falling racing expert level MTB probably saved my 60 year old bones and joints as I hit shoulder 1st, tucked and rolled over instinctively. Been procrastinating on the Barkbusters but not anymore and maybe some Givi engine bars.. .oh, then skid plate and maybe some lowering links.
Glad to hear you and your bike didn't get to banged up

Last edited:
I have an old Nighthawk 650 that only gets ridden when it needs the annual inspection. Did that today. That bike feels so small after the NC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back