• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2017 Honda X-ADV News

I am even more interested after seeing that clip. I see crashbars, offroad pegs, bashplate etc. I would like to see the extent of the suspension adjustments. The only downsides are the small wheels and the weight but it is a very attractive proposition as a hybrid. Hmmmmmmm

Hmmmm, is right. I love my NC but this decrepit old man misses the riding position, and not much else, I had on the Honda Silver Wing I used to own. I'm probably never going to get the chance to ride the X-ADV so I shouldn't worry.

Last edited:
It has some nice chops that the NC should have had: Tubeless spoke wheels; USD long travel suspension' dual discs; radial brakes'; a decent swing-arm. Even the Africa Twin should have launched with tubeless spokes. I think it has a lot going for it. A belt final drive and another gallon of fuel would have been nice. Oh, and maybe 100 lbs. less weight. Interesting.
I wouldn't mind a light in the frunk too.Luckily I had a small flashlight in there I was able to feel for so I could locate something last night. I also need a usb socket so I can charge my phone.

HONDA should offer 2 version of these .one for the road.
at a cheaper price to.
small wheels is not a problem for me.
I've owned two maxi,piaggio x9 and a Suzuki Burgman 400
as I get older the time may come that I would have to consider a maxi instead of a bike.
those crash bars look dead easy for me to make and also could weld a tubing for extended footrest to.
not only that backrest to.
DSC00176_zpslst1jmfv.jpgDSC01207.jpg

First Ride & Review I've found in English. Done by a fellow who lives Portugal.

YouTube
Kinda cute, it would be nice to be able to rent one and ride around Thailand (and adjacent countries) where accommodations and restaurants are cheap and you don't need any camping/cooking gear (just snorkeling gear) with you. I'd rent one!

Ray

I am sort of going off the idea of one of these. The price @ €12,500.00 is part of the problem. Also, there seems to be a decent set of forks with some adjustment up front but the shock is reported to only have spring preload. I saw and heard one recently and it is a tall motorcycle. Sounds nice. I still await a test ride.

I suppose what I am really seeking is a NC700/750X DCT with decent Oem suspension at both ends.

I called in to the importers today and they told me that they have put a demo on the road this morning. I was offered a ride but it would have been too short in duration so I declined in favour of a ride for a few hours tomorrow. I will revert with some views and opinions for what they are worth. The Wife may well have a spin on the pillion also. Looking forward to it but as suggested above I have gone off the idea of purchase.

There were 10kms on the odometer this morning when I picked it up. Not ideal for a test ride. However there were 250kms on the odometer when I returned it. Some photos to start........

P1050908.jpg

P1050909.jpg

P1050912.jpg

I suppose the first question I would ask of myself, did I like it ? Yes, a lot. Is one of my other bikes at risk as a result ? Possibly.

I have seen a few reviews of this bike and the testers seem to come up with the same repetitive conclusion....."Yes it is a nice bike but we don't seem to know what the market is or who it is aimed at". Well, to some degree I can answer that. It is aimed at pure unadulterated fun. It is a very versatile hybrid/scooter. It is different. It is quirky. At least that is the conclusion I arrived at over 240kms today. Those Kms included a small amount of motorway, some well surfaced backroads, some very poorly surfaced backroads (more than 50%), some of the bumpiest roads I could find, and some easy dirt roads.

We all know the power plant. NC750 DCT. The transmission is in four modes, Drive + S1,2 & 3. I stayed mostly in S1 for the backroads and Drive when cruising. I occasionally used the downshift paddle for added engine braking. The rear brake is on the left handlebar in place of a clutch lever. That meant that my two feet were off duty for the day. I very much liked that aspect.

The riding position was perfect for me at 5'8" with a nice reach to the handlebars when seated back against the backstop. When riding the twistier roads or offroad I sat well forward on the seat. That position was also comfortable for me. In short I immediately felt quite at home on this motorcycle despite the foot forward position. I believe that would improve further with time given that I only met the bike this morning. The screen is probably one of the best I have ever encountered. Only when I got back on my Triumph I realized how good it was. It is easily adjusted using a lever and knurled knob. However screens are subjective.

I was worried about the suspension over the roads that I planned to travel. The forks have some adjustment but the shock only has preload. Suspension was the big bugbear with my former NC. The suspension on this bike is much better than the NC. The shock worked well and imho would not need any further attention. The forks were also good but the affects of the smaller wheels were felt somewhat more thru the forks than the rear end. In short it is not as cushy as my Africa Twin, but I would not expect it to be. On my NC I needed a body belt but not on the X-Adventure. The handling was neutral and sure footed on road or on loose surfaces. Standing was not comfortable for me on the rougher surfaces as I was too close to the bars. However there are accessory footpegs available for that purpose for offroad riding. Incidentally the seat height is quite high and my feet were not completely flat at a stop despite my being fairly long in the leg.

From memory there is as much storage space under the seat as there was in the frunk of my NC. If travelling long distance I would utilize that space plus a roll bag longitudinally on the pillion seat, which is substantial. No doubt there will be accessory luggage at some point.

Those are my initial impressions. It is a fun motorcycle on a back road and a very relaxed one to cruise on. I am not sure about range but there were still two bars of five (I think) left when I gave it back and I put 240kms on the full tank. I brought it to my Friend the Tech and he almost drooled. He particularly liked the quirky looks. He envisaged hooliganism on it with sticky tyres and putting it up to sportbikes.......

That's all for the moment as hunger beckons. Any questions don't hesitate to ask......

"It is aimed at pure unadulterated fun. " Remember? That's what bikes are for. Of all of the video reviews I've seen about this bike the one I like the most is the one done by those two Moto.it guys Nico Cereghini & Andrea Perfetti Honda X-ADV. La prova di Nico Cereghini e Perfetto [ENGLISH SUB] - YouTube They show the bike is a hoot to ride. I'm half-happy we can't get it here.

The X-Adv was mentioned over on the Africa Twin section of the Adventure Rider forum, not by me but someone gave it a one liner. There were a couple of comments around whether it is a scooter or bike etc etc. I just mentioned that it is a hybrid imho and a good one with a good motor and some good equipment with lots of fun involved. That was it.

Wow, there followed some serious anti scooter posts with some unwarranted prejudice coming to the surface. I felt there was no point in responding. Tbh I don't understand such prejudice. A powered two wheeler is a two wheeler to me regardless. I am not a Harley fan but I have tried them and I can see the attraction. However I have no animosity against them as motorcycles. I never thought much about Goldwings either until I tried one and eventually owned one for 10 years. Likewise I never had an interest in scooters until I rode one and eventually used one alongside the Wing as a commuter. They are among the most practical of two wheelers.

I may not purchase an X-Adv although I am considering it, but for sure it is a fun bike and aspects of it are actually more enjoyable than my Africa Twin. Imagine if I were to suggest that on the AT forum........

Back