• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2017: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I took my daughter on a search for "Hell Town" on my NC. The mysterious town that was abandoned around 1970 and left for reasons unknown. Everything from a toxic chemical spill to "Mellon Head" creatures to Satanists were blamed.
The real reason, Govt pulled eminent domain on the town to help expand a nature reserve, but that just doses't should as cool.

I grew up just 8 miles form Hell Town and remembered going there in the 80's and it was scary... a full abandoned town!

But now returning some 30 years later, most of the town is gone and hardly anything is left... The road called "The end of the world" and a barn is all that we could find.
BUT my daughter loved the experience.... Point of notation... if you think you might be going on a 5 mile hike which is a lot of uphill, bring something else besides your motorcycle boots... YOUCH!

Road Closed on the way to "Hell Town"
Attach13344_20170904_171838.jpg

The walk to the hill. (this is where several of the old abandoned houses use to be)
Attach13349_20170904_171936.jpg

The "end of the world" drop off...
Attach13345_20170904_171849.jpg

Gravel road that starts off the old abandoned road
Attach13346_20170904_171901.jpg

A bridge in the middle of the woods...
Attach13347_20170904_171913.jpg

Evil barn thing...
Attach13348_20170904_171927.jpg

Rode to work... Rode home...
Started packing some small stuff for a trip from Olympia, WA to Shasta Lake, ca to have a Russell Daylong seat built. It's the first long, multi-day trip for Skookum and Me. Leaving Sunday. Taking (smokey) roads past Mt Hood, to Bend, Klamath Falls, Canby Ca, Redding, Shasta Lake. Taking two days to go down (with sightseeing stops) and home in one day on Wednesday.
Can't wait...

Rode to work... Rode home...
Started packing some small stuff for a trip from Olympia, WA to Shasta Lake, ca to have a Russell Daylong seat built. It's the first long, multi-day trip for Skookum and Me. Leaving Sunday. Taking (smokey) roads past Mt Hood, to Bend, Klamath Falls, Canby Ca, Redding, Shasta Lake. Taking two days to go down (with sightseeing stops) and home in one day on Wednesday.
Can't wait...

I must look on Google maps, otherwise I've no idea. Looks great have fun!

q.jpg

Last edited:
Started packing some small stuff for a trip from Olympia, WA to Shasta Lake, ca to have a Russell Daylong seat built.
Have a great ride and hope you're a cat person while waiting on the couch.

One of my best decisions was to include the heated seat option on my RDL. Many times it has been worth the extra $$.

Ray

Leaving Sunday. Taking (smokey) roads past Mt Hood, to Bend, Klamath Falls, Canby Ca, Redding, Shasta Lake.
Be sure to check Trip Check (TripCheck - Oregon Traveler Information) for road closures due to fires .

image1.JPG

I was riding thru Bend last Tuesday and the smoke was choking thick. I had to detour when the hiway near Sisters I was traveling on was suddenly closed by ODOT due to thick smoke. I had to double back for a two hour additional ride to find an open hiway to my destination. Good luck.

Ray

Thanks Ray. I am monitoring trip check, the news, the state fire map, and the weather channels. There are still a few days before departure and conditions will certainly change. But... My deposit is paid and I do need to be there on Tuesday. Plan B is to take the (longer) coast route. Plan C would be a straight blast down I5 if necessary.
>Thom

When we were up there during the eclipse HWY 101 between Or & Ca was closed due to fires, we cut back to I-5 in the Tillamook area to get back home.

Scared myself today...

Rode Skyline Drive near Canon City, CO today; thought it would be an ordinary scenic drive. Turns out it was a one-way, 8' wide strip of asphalt installed by inmates to allow the warden to take his wife up to a scenic overlook. Not a guardrail in sight and extreme dropoffs on both sides of the road, a hogsback ridge. Normally I'm OK with heights if I have an upslope on one side of the road, but this road created some severe pucker factor! Photo only shows the top; sides were much steeper with no shoulders on the way up. Needless to say, I wasn't stopping to take photos! Give it a shot if you are in Colorado.

skyline drive 2.jpgSkyline Drive 1.jpg

Lars, I did that while on vacation back in the early 70s. A really nice view. My Father-in-Law thought I was crazy to be on a road like that. He never took his eyes from looking forward.

What did I do with my NC700X today? I put on an additional 208 miles of mostly loop back roads West of where I live, Seymour, TN. Started out at 57 degrees F. and ended up at 72 degrees F. I dressed almost, I say almost, without sufficient clothing. Need to change to my winter coat and put rain liner back in my riding pants. But it was a glorious day for riding.

Hope all of you that could had the same good day as I. Safe riding to you all.

I ran a couple of errands and decided to go up Route 66 to Joplin, Missouri to pick up some lathe tools for my wife. I am encouraging her to get back into her creative side.

rode into the bleak nuclear winter visage that is presented when smoke envelops all. nonetheless 100 miles plus, of pavement and non-paved dust-bowl roads. started at 57F, ended at 82. bfd.

I put it on the lift, raised it and moved the bottom two shelves of stuff to the lift in prep for possible flooding this weekend.
Then I took it all off and went for a ride for a bit to see what others have already fled.
Tomorrow I will put it back up and finish the rest of "putting things up" before we leave for higher ground.

Scrubbed in a new set of Dunlop Roadsmart III tires on Peak to Peak highway up to Estes Park. They seem great.

IMG_20170907_124301057.jpg

A lot fire haze in the air and not much color in the Aspens yet so I did not take many pictures. the white building in the far left background is the Stanley Hotel.

IMG_20170907_124637682.jpg

Wouldn't have said this two months back, but not much smoke there, Ackme. Here, mountains at that distance are not even seen, and the stuff across the river, indistinct or worse.

Rode Skyline Drive near Canon City, CO today

Is there still a little off-road park on the back side as you descend? I was riding that during Spring Break in 1990 on a Nighthawk S, with full luggage and gf on the back, and some turkey decided to jump a dirt bike *across* the road nearly on a collision course with us as we descended at maybe 50mph. He couldn't see what was on the road and had no idea what might have been coming. Right at helmet level, within maybe thirty feet in front of us. *That* was some pucker factor.

Didn't see an off-road park Glenn, but I was pretty focused on the road. My buddy says after the first time the drive is easier, but it sure had this Minnesota flat-lander spooked!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back