• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2017: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try preloading the shock spring as much as is allowed also, and You should find it will make a positive difference. From a ground clearance point of view it will also compensate for the drop at the front. I did likewise with the front end but not quite as far as You have. I also fitted PR4's and the entire combination made a very significant difference to handling.

Bit early for me to think about tires seriously, but if you don't mind how do the PR4's feel in the corners? Not worried about traction, but I want the bike to fall right down into corners with no resistance and hold a line with no steering effort (hands off bars...)?

Nothing like drilling four holes into your new $250 wind screen.
:mad:
They provide a nice template but I was still terrified. Cracks... splits... I was really nervous. But I started with a 1mm hole, then 3mm then finally the 6mm. All went fine.

Before doing the holes, I tried the clamping style mount that mounts to the top of the screen with a compression fit, but it made the lip too high and right in the middle of my eyes. This looks like it should be perfect. A little fine tuning on the way to work tomorrow and I should be set!!
X-Creen lips are not cheap but the quality is awesome.:cool:

poooop.jpg20170921_193016.jpg20170921_192942.jpg20170921_192921.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing like drilling four holes into your new $250 wind screen.
:mad:
They provide a nice template but I was still terrified. Cracks... splits... I was really nervous. But I started with a 1mm hole, then 3mm then finally the 6mm. All went fine.

Before doing the holes, I tried the clamping style mount that mounts to the top of the screen with a compression fit, but it made the lip too high and right in the middle of my eyes. This looks like it should be perfect. A little fine tuning on the way to work tomorrow and I should be set!!
X-Creen lips are not cheap but the quality is awesome.:cool:

Concur - This completed my screen as well - also know how you felt drilling...slow and steady! Nice job!

Attachments

• IMG_5837.jpg
    IMG_5837.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 237
I traded in my 2012 NC700X on a 2017 Africa Twin today. I loved my NCX and it will be missed!

I started riding three years ago and the NC taught me well over that time and 26,000 miles.

I'm still going to hang out here because it is the best forum on the Internet. :)

Attachments

• KIMG0036.jpg
    KIMG0036.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 227
Bit early for me to think about tires seriously, but if you don't mind how do the PR4's feel in the corners? Not worried about traction, but I want the bike to fall right down into corners with no resistance and hold a line with no steering effort (hands off bars...)?

I am working from memory now as I no longer have my original version of the NC family. However on PR4's I recall a neutral feeling rather than any tendency to fall into corners. One way or another the front end pushing and slipping especially in the wet ceased. The front PR4 has a fairly uniform semicircular profile, whereas if you require that drop in feeling you might need a front tyre with a more pointed centre profile. On my Triumph I tried Anakees and while they were good tyres, they slowed the steering somewhat on that bike. I then tried Dunlop Trailsmarts which had the more pointed profile on the front tyre, and the quick steering returned again.

I traded in my 2012 NC700X on a 2017 Africa Twin today. I loved my NCX and it will be missed!

I started riding three years ago and the NC taught me well over that time and 26,000 miles.

I'm still going to hang out here because it is the best forum on the Internet. :)

congratz! A real American beauty! :)

Let the FARKLING begin!!!

Took the bike out for a 4 hour ride in the foothills of Mt Rainier - with my bride on the back - and she LOVED it. The new Russell Day Long seat is fantastic. Even though only the front seat was custom built to fit my butt, they absolutely nailed it when they built the rear seat! All they had was her height and weight to help them build the pillion seat. Wifey says she could ride all day on that seat. In the words of Butch Cassidy, "those guys are good!"
>T

Yesterday was a day of sightseeing and motorcycle browsing.

I stopped by Monmouth Battlefield State Park for the first time. It's the site of a major Revolutionary War battle, the Battle of Monmouth and the facility had great historical explanations of the battle. Thousands of people battling across an open field all day long in 100 degree heat, smoke, and gunfire. More people died of heatstroke than gunfire. Given the temperature at the visit (90 degrees) and my motorcycle gear, it was easy to imagine the heat of the place that day...

20170923_132537a.jpg

20170923_123859a.jpg

20170923_124046a.jpg

After that, I drove over to Xtreme Machines in Millstone, NJ, which is always fun. They have Ural sidecar motorcycles, and I love sidecars (lookin at them, not driving them). I also wanted to check out Gold Wings. Below is a picture of a Great White Gold Wing about to devour a 1000RR. This in-person visit confirmed that despite all the road comforts the Gold Wing is for me just too big a bike. I did like the other Hondas there, but honestly, I kept asking myself "Would you be willing to give up the frunk?" Nope. Since my main interest is road comfort and long-distance riding, farkling up the NC700 (a la Beemerphile and countless others) seems like the right way to go. Air deflectors, better suspension, etc.

20170923_135142a.jpg

From there I wended my way up to The Cycle Exchange in Andover, "NJ's Largest Pre-Owned Powersports Dealer". I got there about 3:55, they list their closing at 4:00pm, and an employee outside told me were in fact locked up. Bah. I like their bikes online, but it's hard to become a fan when the locations are remote and the hours are so inconvenient.

From there I went over to Waterloo Village, but again, historic buildings closed at 4:00pm. Blargh.

But it was a beautiful ride back east along Route 15 and around Lake Hopatcong. I love the late afternoon sun behind me lighting up the hills...

Last edited:
Installed Kuryakyn 7933 footpegs. They just might make this thing rideable for me.
Next up, Michelin Power Road 4 tires, and a new chain.
Flat has this one on the sidelines until I can get to changing the rear tire at least, will be about two weeks before I can get to it.
Fortunately I have a spare (Piaggio MP3 500). I'll get by.

Saturday left the house at 07:40 with my daughter on the PCX150 for an all day ride. The little scoot fared really well and my daughter only mentioned the seat comfort once! I still have the OEM seat on the NCX and I know there's an upgrade in the future coming, but I think additional lights will have a higher priority as we fast approach fall riding and my daily commute gets darker.

We were a little tight on time so we didn't stop for photo's or breaks other than the every 100 miles to feed the scooter, which actually worked out really well to stretch legs, have a drink or eat a snack.

Saw lots of riders, both motorized and pedal powered. The lake road, while not particularly twisty had great views and was quite scenic. The ride down through the Allegheny National Forest was a little more twisty while we followed the river. Nothing like the back roads around Marietta, but far from just boring straight lines. For so much of the ride the traffic was really light, and the lower speed ability of the scooter was rarely an issue.

Couple more weeks and the views will probably be fantastic as the color change takes more effect, but then you also have a harder time getting the weather to cooperate, potentially dealing with wet leaves, and being more aware of ID10T cagers not paying attention to the road as they take in the scenery!

My daughter thoroughly enjoyed it and was a little disappointed that we were 'back already', although she promptly took a nap while I re-engaged with rest of the family responsibilities!! She's already looking forward to taking more 'long' rides!

2017-09-23 16.59.03.jpg

I love making personal contact with our history in places like that. We lived in Bethesda, Md for 3 years and I never got enough of the history around that area.

I survived! I just got my bike a week ago... haven't ridden in 20+ years and almost got run over by a little old lady in merging traffic today. I swear she didn't even know I existed despite being right in front of her during the merge... Time to purchase some high viz items! Oh, but wait I was wearing a bright yellow shirt!

Managed to squeeze out 360 miles out of my tank and external fuel tank before filling up, and I still had at least 40 more miles to go. Quite happy with the extended range!

Checked tires before a ride, found a screw in the center of the tread. When I pulled it out, the tire went flat. Ride on tire sealant didn't work this time.
Tire only had 4000 miles on it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back