• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2017: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting post, I can see exactly what you're saying as far as visibility to other motorists is concerned. I could be a broken record on this one point but blue lights = BAD. Blue light diffracts and refracts more than "white" and is a very bad choice for lighting! Yellow diffracts and refracts less than white, but invariably has lower lumens, so the net may or may not be positive... except in bad weather. But your point about visibility to others on the road is excellent and now I'm seriously thinking about finding a way to get some well-patterned amber lights on my bikes for that reason alone.

You are 100% correct. If you are looking for insane amounts of more bright illumination to light the paths or dark roads, amber lights may not be the best choice, BUT if you want a bit more of a chance to be noticed by the coffee drinking, lipstick applying, zoned out, texting, eating with 2 hands while driving with their knee's motorists, I think amber lights is the way to go... (short of a full police light set mounted on your helmet!)

Yesterday I took my first long ride on my bike. 160 miles up to Ojai and back. Took PCH most of the way, where I was averaging 71 mpg until I got on the freeway and it dropped as soon as I started going over 65 mph.
Had lunch at Ventura Pier overlooking the Point.
I kept switching between D and manual mode as the bike gets into 6th gear a bit early for me. Manually shifting into 5th as I was heading up the incline worked well into getting the lugging feeling away.

I did notice a bad helmet vibration from wind buffeting with my Puig windscreen that only went away went I bent forward within 1 foot of the screen, where it became smooth and quiet, but not a practical riding position.
Looks like I'm going to need to upgrade to the tallest windscreen. Is that the Madstad 22"?
Has that worked for anyone else who had the Puig?ventura1.jpg

I did notice a bad helmet vibration from wind buffeting with my Puig windscreen that only went away went I bent forward within 1 foot of the screen, where it became smooth and quiet, but not a practical riding position.
Looks like I'm going to need to upgrade to the tallest windscreen. Is that the Madstad 22"?
Has that worked for anyone else who had the Puig?

Add a lip to the Puig, and aim it so the wind clears your helmet. Problem solved. (And for like $25 on eBay)

lip.jpg

Yesterday I took my first long ride on my bike. 160 miles up to Ojai and back. Took PCH most of the way, where I was averaging 71 mpg until I got on the freeway and it dropped as soon as I started going over 65 mph.
Had lunch at Ventura Pier overlooking the Point.
I kept switching between D and manual mode as the bike gets into 6th gear a bit early for me. Manually shifting into 5th as I was heading up the incline worked well into getting the lugging feeling away.

Has that worked for anyone else who had the Puig?View attachment 34943
You could try a wind deflector, they give you quite a bit of adjustability

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Riding home in the rain in a smaller roundabout, front in suddenly went full tuck. Used to the front sliding from riding dirt and knew she wasn't coming back. Did the splits and then I rolled over once. Picking her up with a couple of cars waiting and then some idiot couldn't wait and just had to squeeze by. That made me mad!! Cranked her up and drove on off. Crash bars did their job. Do finally need new handlebars now as they are a bit bent. Now to find bars with the about the same height but a little less pullback. any suggestions?

Riding home in the rain in a smaller roundabout, front in suddenly went full tuck. Used to the front sliding from riding dirt and knew she wasn't coming back. Did the splits and then I rolled over once. Picking her up with a couple of cars waiting and then some idiot couldn't wait and just had to squeeze by. That made me mad!! Cranked her up and drove on off. Crash bars did their job. Do finally need new handlebars now as they are a bit bent. Now to find bars with the about the same height but a little less pullback. any suggestions?

First glad you are ok.
2nd, nice personal control from chasing down the dick and smashing their window.
Wish I had more info for bars.

I've been thinking I want a set of fat bars as my risers needed inserts for the stock bars. And I was thinking Gold Renthal colored. So if you find a set post your results.

Interesting post, I can see exactly what you're saying as far as visibility to other motorists is concerned. I could be a broken record on this one point but blue lights = BAD. Blue light diffracts and refracts more than "white" and is a very bad choice for lighting! Yellow diffracts and refracts less than white, but invariably has lower lumens, so the net may or may not be positive... except in bad weather. But your point about visibility to others on the road is excellent and now I'm seriously thinking about finding a way to get some well-patterned amber lights on my bikes for that reason alone.

A U.K. University study has shown that one of the reasons behind motorcycle "invisibility" to other road users, even when the headlight is on is in part due to the single light source of the headlight.

They found that two additional lights set apart (LED spot or fog lights) allow the brain to subconsciously calculate the approach speed of the motorcycle and thereby the threat much more accurately. No mention was made with regard to colour.

Glad to hear you're OK, and good job on not getting road rage revenge on the ID10T cager!! Post pictures of your new bars once you find some you like and get them installed.

Just commuting the last couple of days. Morning temp yesterday was 34... today was 33... Layers and layers...

I have also been playing with the windscreen deflector that SleepyC posted a few posts back. It definitely makes a difference on the buffeting. I tried to get a permanent mount deflector but could not find one to match up with the OEM Tall windscreen (they were all too wide) so I bought one of the 'clip-on' deflectors shown in SleepyC's picture. Very economical (cheap) but it really does redirect the airflow over the top of the helmet.

Now don't go hurting yourself, you're still working on healing from your knee, and the woman wants to see progress to the house if we ever make it back out that way.

When I bent my bars i just took a 5lbs hammer to it and bent out back.

Rode home from work to find the service manual had arrived, as well as some of the soon to be added lighting farkles: D2's kit & Admore small light bar. Still waiting on a few more pieces and will then plan some serious garage time to get the stuff installed! I also ordered some of those electrical connectors mentioned in one of the threads so that I can use the accessory harness that's already on the bike.

Wife: "It's raining, if you drive <eldest daughter> to school I'll pick her up when I go to get <middle child> from her school"
Me: "OK, but I'll stop home after dropping her off to get my bike as it's only spitting with rain and it will stop mid-morning"
Eldest Daughter: "It's not raining that hard, I'll ride to school, that way I can leave when I'm ready and take the scenic route home"
Me: "That's my daughter"
Wife: :mad:
Me: "Did I say that out loud?....."

Drove to work today as I have to bring a bunch of stuff home and buy some shipping boxes... It sucks... It takes the "having fun before work" out of the equation.

Now don't go hurting yourself, you're still working on healing from your knee, and the woman wants to see progress to the house if we ever make it back out that way.

When I bent my bars i just took a 5lbs hammer to it and bent out back.

Thinking about doing the hammer. So far I haven't found anything with the same height as stock and I sure don't want to go lower.

Thinking about doing the hammer. So far I haven't found anything with the same height as stock and I sure don't want to go lower.

Worked for me, got it close enough to stock too. I took the bar off and stuck it in a vice. Long enough pipe and you probably wouldn't need the hammer, but then you wouldn't be able to hit it with a hammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back