• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2017: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m back on the road again.

Puhrump, NV & Kentucky

SpotWalla.com - Trip Viewer

Thursday packed up from my (successful) deer hunt in Kentucky. I left about 4am with temps hanging in the mid 30’s all morning, until I turned south in MO. before I stopped for the night after 950 miles.

Just a few hundred miles on Friday with temps in the 80’s and windy, and spent the nite in a rest stop with higher winds all night trying to blow over my Moto-Mule ‘RV’. Yesterday a few more miles, mostly in the 40’s until I reached Page, AZ when the temps were playing with the freezing mark, for the nite at Walmart. Heated gloves and vest are working great!

Now, I am enjoying another Walmart Sunrise, temps in the low 30’s.

140B0500-FAAD-49BA-A96F-CE5A9104ECE2.jpg

Time to pack up and head to the North Rim.

6A067A31-E880-4A2A-9061-BF5153FAC07B.jpg

A45F8368-FF36-4410-9445-050AAE0CB2B8.jpg

D6491121-14CD-47C4-A596-3476EC2A6B30.jpg

63417111-38C8-4892-A2DB-914755939AB8.jpg

D8306681-52AE-4DA8-9B46-DCC09F2E9582.jpg

Ray

Last edited:
Mine is coated in ACF 50 non corrosive oil and sleeping under a cover with a batt tender attached in the garage.
They hit the roads with snow salt. :(

Today was a shop day in the heated garage while outside it was in the mid 30s (F).

A month ago I got in some serious mud in the Arkansas mountains. There was no turning back, since back was uphill and the fenders had clogged so badly I could hardly even go downhill. Anyway I got back to civilization, but the clutch suffered some abuse to ensure my survival. Today I popped the clutch out and checked the plates. There was some wear, but all were still thicker than the service limit. So, I put it back together. I decided to check the valves, too, but they required only minor adjustment.

The next job: swap out the fuel injectors for some used ones I go from eBay. I'm trying to get this bike to run smoother.

100_1350.jpg100_1351.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday I rode around Grand Lake, where there are a few good twisty sections. Beautiful weather, though windy, and lots and lots of bikes out.

Then gave it a thorough bath, decreased, washed, and rewaxed the chain. Checked oil, tires, tightened all fasteners.

It actually is even nicer today, but family, beer, and football take priority.

Rode from our hobby shop in Olympia,WA to Long Beach, WA in order to deliver a $12 battery to a customer who called in a telephone order. I coulda mailed it for $4 but I felt he deserved special attention. ;-)

Any excuse to take Skookum for a ride....!!!! Tons of fun, even if it means 4 hrs in 40 degree weather!
>T

Commutes in some high winds in so cal. Noticed some noise and vibration from the rear wheel. The chain was properly tightened and so I’m thinking maybe the wheel bearings?!?! My NC700X only has 11,000 miles and on original chain. Just got new set of chain and sprockets so I might as well order some bearings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Commutes in some high winds in so cal. Noticed some noise and vibration from the rear wheel. The chain was properly tightened and so I’m thinking maybe the wheel bearings?!?! My NC700X only has 11,000 miles and on original chain. Just got new set of chain and sprockets so I might as well order some bearings.
With the rough roads down there, I would think first about a worn tire tread and/or lost balance weight. My bearings are still going strong at 45k plus, mostly with the additional unsprung weight of my Moto-Mule trailer on them. IMHO

Ray

Home safely from a month on the road. Started in the rain, naturally the trip ended in the rain. GPS says 8,200 miles. Going back to sleep now, happy T-day to everyone.

Ray

Haven't checked the thread lately. Glad to see you are home safe after another epic ride. You truly impress me.

Took what I think is the final ride of the season. Temperatures here were in the high forties (don't think we'll see that again for a while). Then I added Seafoam to the tank & pulled the battery to put it on the Optimate in the house...

Haven't checked the thread lately. Glad to see you are home safe after another epic ride. You truly impress me.
Thx, I’m going to recuperate from those miles on a white sand beach somewhere in SEAsia for the next month or two. I brought my Spot with and it’s still tracking me. Tomorrow Singapore!

Ray

Try checking for a stiff link. I have found this before and some lube combined with some extra attention to work the lube into the stiff link fixed it up. Good luck :)

Try checking for a stiff link. I have found this before and some lube combined with some extra attention to work the lube into the stiff link fixed it up. Good luck :)

You guessed it right. I changed the chain and there were some super tight links. Wheel bearings seemed fine so I’ll save that for another day.

Thx, I’m going to recuperate from those miles on a white sand beach somewhere in SEAsia for the next month or two. I brought my Spot with and it’s still tracking me. Tomorrow Singapore!

Ray

Can you tell me a life path I can take even now that I'm 46 that I can end up on a beach like that?!?!?
HERO STATUS!

I do not know what life path he took. My father stayed with the railroad for forty years (less military time) and retired at 60.

I taught college long enough to get a state pension, lived modestly, and avoided debt.

Last weekend I went to the Motorcycle show at the Javits Center here in New York. It's a little overwhelming, but if you can stand all the crowds, it's a great way for us quiet types to see and mount all the motorcycles we've been reading about in quick succession without being hassled by a sales person. I'd been wondering if the NC700 is too underpowered as my go-to bike and I wanted to see some other options.

They also had a string of vintage bikes to admire. I'm sorry I forgot to take pictures.

The short of it:
1. Any bike feels soft and easy to lift when it's on carpet.
2. Any GS bike feels too tall when you're 5'8" and standing still, though it's probably fine on the street.
3. Most roadbikes have a riding position that leans a little too far forward

Specific notes:
1. The new NC750 felt the same as the NC700 I have (but so soft on carpet!). The seating position was just right; on most other bikes was too aggressive.
2. The Honda Goldwing felt too big (still)
3. If you want to go big, the Yamaha Star Venture is a beautiful yacht of the bike (and yeah, it felt light as air on the carpet)

Two vintage bikes stood out to me. The first was the Interceptor (because it's gotten a lot of praise here).

dbf3f088005cf3debf28abf33af06cad.jpg

The second was a restored 1983 BMW r100s (motorcycle classics link). I really liked the metal fairings; they looked very protective. And I liked the orange lines across the headlight. I've seen it written that some people see a chromed up Harley and their "kid's brain" says "that's what a motorcycle should look like". My kid's brain comes from the 80s and, and for better or worse, it likes covered and faired things like the Honda PC800 or the BMW r100s...

BMW2.jpg

BMW7.jpg

All in all, I'm happy with my used NC700 as a beginner bike,. With the Givi cases and frunk, it stores more stuff than any other bike its size. And I'm not ready for a tourer. I do wish it had cool fairing.... :)

Last edited:
More cold-weather riding

I was planning to winterize the bike after Thanksgiving, but some recent events have me commuting between NJ and NYC each day for the past two weeks.

It's getting chilly here, and I'm really learning all about the snaky ramps and rattly bridges that stretch across the New Jersey Meadowlands (aka swamp).

It has been cold and foggy here lately. The deal with the spouse is if there is ice on the roof of the vehicles in the parking lot I take the car...4 days of car last week...

Organized the garage so the bike fits in better with the freshly installed centre stand. Picked up my fork oil tool, tire pressure gauge and a rear PR4 I had shipped from Rocky Mountain ATV. The Tusk pressure gauge is pretty nice for the price with a braided cable, hose. Broke down an picked up the Harbor freight bead breaker with the 25% off coupon. I'm running out of things to buy...I may actually have to do some work.

P1030756.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back