• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2017: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rode to work in heavy rain. Started snowing an hour after arriving. One of the coworker's who shake their head at me drove me home in snow free comfort...*stares at sky*...we will battle again tomorrow...

Broke the Givi key off in the lock.

Last night I broke off the key inside one of the Givi E21 pannier locks. The key had been sticking the past couple days (cold weather?), and in the dark I twisted hard and somehow the key pulled and snapped like taffy. The bit was lodged deep in the barrel and I couldn't see it. I fiddled for it with tweezers for fifteen minutes, without luck. Normally I would have left it, but my laptop was in that case. I was ready to drill it out, but the friends I'm staying with weren't confident about that process. Today I called a locksmith. Expensive. After about ten minutes of picking, he gave up and drilled it out. Simple drill and bit, something I could have done.

On the bright side, he thinks the lock mechanism itself should be relatively cheap to find online and looks easy to install. In the meantime, I'll seal the hole to keep out the rain.

20171221_102515.jpg

20171221_102056.jpg

Givi e21 Lock set and Locking Plate

After calling around locally, I found the pieces I needed through Accessories International . Of the major sites, they're the only one who also had the little locking plate the locksmith drilled through. I got an extra set to make both panniers use the same key.

keys.jpg

That sucks, but awesome you found the parts you needed without going directly to Givi; That would have cost a fortune.

Today, shocking, I rode into work (30F out! Too cold for my Californian' butt!). I also picked up a Healtech SpeedoHealer and will be installing that next month to finally correct my -9.6% low speedometer (due to rear sprocket size change). I don't mind doing math on the fly, but with some Ironbutt rides scheduled, I need my odometer to be somewhat more accurate.

Plugged in my new volt-meter for testing. I have a cig lighter/USB power outlet on my handlebars. This little guy plugs into the cig lighter (which is wired direct to my battery) and figure this will be a simple, basic way to monitor battery and alternator voltages. vmeter.jpg

Put a new front tire on it today. Feels great.
I should have done it sooner.
13000 miles on the old one.

Gym time

At gym, 32 degrees with Tusk hand mitts. Not bad for $22 but had to cut slit for brake side.

Attachments

• 84711021-3C65-48DF-88D2-AD219131C0DA.jpg
    84711021-3C65-48DF-88D2-AD219131C0DA.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 241
  • 39DD04BB-420F-4B9D-98C6-5A6D44F6BADF.jpg
    39DD04BB-420F-4B9D-98C6-5A6D44F6BADF.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 235
Went for a last ride in 2017. Tomorrow we'll see 3" of snow and after that, typically for Chicago, deep freeze. Today was around freezing and beautiful day along with good road conditions.
NCDEC17a.jpg
NCDEC17g.jpg
NCDec17b.jpg
NCDEC17d.jpg

traded my NC for a TAT ready Husky TE 610. I'll miss my NC, but my S10 was too much overlap. And now I have a real "Dirt bike" to kill myself on!!!

Still hang out here as you're a bunch of solid dudes.

IMG_0043.jpg

Plowed the driveway, saw the forecast was for at least 10 days below freezing, so I started motorcycle maintenance chores. Valve adjustment, coolant, and brake fluid were first; next is fork oil change. The valves, after 13,000 miles, could have been left as was, but I loosened a few by 0.001 inch. 16,000 mile intervals on a broken-in engine is plenty often to check them. I think more frequent checks would be a waste of time.

IMG_3260.jpg

40B060FA-8D27-4BA2-B26B-CC2EF9488008.jpg

IMG_3259.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! I agree. At 32k miles all my valves were in spec. At 16 a few were out. So I think they settle down. I won't check mine again until 50k or so miles.

Today I got a HealTech SpeedoHealer (since I run a smaller rear sprocket). Unbelievable easy install and now my speedometer, tripometer and odometer are accurate again.

While Skookum sat hooked up to my battery tender, I deep-fried 3 turkeys for the family's Christmas dinner.

1225171434.jpg

Three birds is barely enough since I love the leftovers as much as, or more than the main meal.

My apologies for the rotated picture. I cannot figure out to fix it on the forum. It looked good on the phone.
>T

Last edited:
I'm impressed by you northern winter riders. Its 21 here and I don't even want to walk the dog. My blood's just too thin from a lifetime of living in the south. Heck, it was 70 last week.

While Skookum sat hooked up to my battery tender, I deep-fried 3 turkeys for the family's Christmas dinner.

1225171434.jpg

Three birds is barely enough since I love the leftovers as much as, or more than the main meal.

My apologies for the rotated picture. I cannot figure out to fix it on the forum. It looked good on the phone.
>T

I was going to ask, "How do you deep fry a turkey?" but I googled it instead. Click here.

I'd be interested in seeing more pictures of your setup if you have time.

30F ride today. About as low as it gets for us Californians. Cold ride in today for sure.

Yup, sometimes people laugh at the thought of having grip heaters in so cal but on days like this morning, boy am I glad I got them!! At least ride home will be a nice 80 degree!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riding with temp in the Teens! And the Tusk D-Flex handguards arrive

First, in the cold, the battery didnt have enough juice to turn the motor. Then i found the Anker was also too run down (note to self, dont store Anker overnight in bike). I eventually got going.

Super cold on my little piece of Turnpike. Fingertips and toes felt it. Heated handgrips helped fingers but i was surprised about the toes. Windchill I guess.

It was so cold my phone battery at 50% decided it had 0% and died.

I almost ran out of gas in Manhattan. Got to point-six on reserve near the Holland Tunnel. Itd been so cold i hadnt refilled the tooltubes either. over on the NJ side there are blocks and blocks of gas stations. In Manhattan? Slim pickings and hard to find. But i didnt want to risk stalling in the tunnel so I peeled off the tunnel approach and gingerly throttled up to the one I knew. 30 blocks, but we made it! And only a dollar per gallon over-priced!

Happy the handguards came. These and the tusk mitts deal with the hand warmth problem. Then i just have to worry about the toe warmth problem. The leather hiking boots are not doing the trick, even with plastic grocery bag booties! 20171228_175723.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing. I twisted my back a few days ago helping my mother out of her wheelchair, and the cold makes recovery slow.
However, tomorrow is the last rideable day for a bit, so I need to get out.

My sore back has me reconsidering a bigger bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back