• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2017: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, since last Saturday, my NC has been on the battery tender. Too cold for me right now. I rode last Saturday to run some errands while I was charging my car's battery up from leaving the trunk open overnight.

I rode the two NCs each about 75 feet today between buildings. Through the use of salt and shovels, I cleared a path through the driveway ice to safely traverse the distance. The NC mods and maintenance are done, so now it's the Goldwing's turn in the heated shop. More snow is on the way this afternoon, so now was the opportunity to swap machines.

IMG_3276.jpg

I put on my heated gear and handlebar covers and rode about 20 miles. It was just above freezing and not bad. The top of my head was cold, so I might need a balaclava.

The heated gear worked well. My arms were still a little cold. I have the Hotwired pants and jacket, and battery powered gloves and insoles. I didn’t want to overload the electrical system, since I also have Denali lights.

I also rode my drz 400 a few miles, just to get it out.

I got NaNCy back together and road worthy again last night. All is needed to get her back into full shape is the Frunk Liner, which is on backorder and the Barkbusters VPS Edge Protector Kit that is also on backorder.

I will be taking her on a group ride up to Newcomb's Ranch on CA-2 (a.k.a. HWY-2) tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
I got NaNCy back together and road worthy again last night. All is needed to get her back into full shape is the Frunk Liner, which is on backorder and the Barkbusters VPS Edge Protector Kit that is also on backorder.

I will be taking her on a group ride up to Newcomb's Ranch on CA-2 (a.k.a. HWY-2) tomorrow morning.

I didn't make it to Newcomb's Ranch on 12/31/17 with NaNCy, the Factory battery died at the gas station a couple miles away from home. I had to go home to swap bikes to go on this ride with my buddies waiting at a different location. I rode NaTalie instead.

It was a beautiful day and the temperatures were quite warm up there for this time a year. Jay Leno showed up and hung out with a small group us to talk shop. He was telling us how the city was forcing him to replace all the toilets in his shop with Low-Flow ones, regardless if they do not use them. Also how the fire marshal was saying that he'd have to drain all the oil and gas from his vehicles to be able to give tours of his shop to the public. Jay said that's what ended public tours at this shop.

IMG_8976[1].jpg

IMG_8977[1].jpg

Last edited:
Today Wednesday I received my Puig light smoke windscreen and did the 5 minute instal. I also tried to access a wiring harness up on the left fork to try and get power for my usb port on the handlebars. I have seen many tutorials on how to remove the fairing plastics but never on on my 2016 NC700XD. I tried using a 2015 video on a 700 but could only get half way. It was completely different and I quit halfway through. If anyone has seen a NC700XD fairing removal instruction video, please send me the link.

Today Wednesday I received my Puig light smoke windscreen and did the 5 minute instal. I also tried to access a wiring harness up on the left fork to try and get power for my usb port on the handlebars. I have seen many tutorials on how to remove the fairing plastics but never on on my 2016 NC700XD. I tried using a 2015 video on a 700 but could only get half way. It was completely different and I quit halfway through. If anyone has seen a NC700XD fairing removal instruction video, please send me the link.

Your best bet is to buy a Honda service manual for the 2016 NC700XD. In the absence of that, you can refer to a Honda option installation pdf. For example, this one linked below shows the location of fasteners but doesn't describe every step in detail. Ignore all the stuff about the grip install, just note where it illustrates panel removal.

https://powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/08T70-MKA-D80.pdf

Last edited:
Experimented! It was cool, windy, and overcast, so not really a day for a long ride.

1. How long does it take me to gear up and get out the driveway?

This is with all the gear, helmet down to boots, plus a go pro and a helite air vest. Bike in garage on battery tender, in stand.

Total: 11:30.

2. What is the best position for the Madstad? Gusts to 35 mph today (56 kph), good time to find out.

a. All the way down - noise and problems on top of the helmet.
b. one inch up - a little quieter, still some bufffeting, a little air underneath.
c. two inches up - probably best, quiet, a good bit of air underneath hitting lower chest and arms.
d. Almost all the way up - very quiet and no air to head, blasting me with cold air underneath, top of windshield about where i usually look.
(6'3", 22" madstad, slightly longer torso than normal, Shoei neotec helmet)

3. New Alpinestars Corazal boots, christmas present: very warm and comfortable, feel very secure. Slow to put on, not exactly built for running.

4. Rode to Joplin to try out this double traffic circle near the hospital.

I am ok with traffic circles, but this is two of them close together, both two lanes, and you have to go 270 degrees (3/4 of the way) around BOTH of them to get into the hospital. (assuming you are coming from town, which is to the north)

When you exit the hospital, if you are in the south lot, you have to turn LEFT across traffic exiting the traffic circle, which is not stopping. (intersection not in picture)

This seems to me to defeat the whole purpose of a traffic circle, which is to reduce t bones and such from left turns.

This picture is from the south.

View attachment 32825

That is the Joplin Harley dealer lower left. Interstate 44 at top.

In the UK, they're called "roundabouts" The example below is an extreme example of what happens when the roundabout salesman is behind on his quota for the year end figures!

When you look at it and try to plot a route, remember that we drive on the left. (not that makes any difference on this example whatsoever!)

Attachments

• Magic Roundabout.jpg
    Magic Roundabout.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 229
It's documented and official....

Found out I need a hip replacement in the next 12 months and probably a knee replacement right after that.
Did not expect this at 46. But explains the pain...

Dr. said riding won't do anymore damage, just cause me pain.. so I'm gonna be a crabby, pain filled SOB cause I ain't giving up riding anytime soon.

Aleve, and some heat pads maybe??

Been there, done that.

From my personal experience, there was NOTHING short of opiate painkillers that would touch the pain and that wasn't a route I wanted to take. So, yes, I was as crabby as f***.

Had my hip surgery in February 2011. Was back in the saddle May 2011. Never looked back. I haven't had a knee replacement but my wife has. The best advice I can give you is to get as fit as you can PRE surgery. This will have you in the best shape for the Physioterrorist POST surgery. Good luck

I guess I'll close the thread. I should have done it some time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back