• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2018 Goldwing DCT

I average about 36mpg on my 2010 wing. I just realized 40 liters of less storage is about 10 gal! If the new wing averages 40 mpg, I dont normally run the bike till empty :) so I will probably be refueling at about 140 miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In searching for articles about the 2018 Goldwing, I’ve come to the conclusion that Honda made a huge mistake in not naming the new model the GL1850. By designating the totally new 1833cc bike a GL1800, the same as the “old” 1832cc model, it’s going to create a lot of headaches, such as when looking for accessories and searching for articles. GL1850 would an appropriate name, as they did in fact increase the displacement by 1cc, and also because 1850 is closer to 1833 than it is 1800. This naming convention would follow the same logic as the NC700X vs the NC750X.

Maybe Honda did not want to give the impression that the 2018 model was even bigger than the 2001-2017 models. Fine, then call it a GL1750 or a GL1801. Whatever, just don’t give it the exact same name.

In addition to having a 10 gallon reduction in luggage capacity on the new ‘Wing, I read that the dual helmet locks under the trunk of the old 1800 are not present on the new model. From what I can tell from the owner's manual, you are expected to lock one helmet to a hook on the left side with some kind of extension piece and set that helmet on the passenger seat, and I don’t know what you’d do with the other helmet. The old system was enormously convenient, taking all of ten seconds to lock two helmets to the bike.

While the trunk may hold two helmets, the trunk, like most of our NC frunks, is never empty, so that’s not a viable option.

Passengers won’t care so much about fancy electronic toys, handling, or power, but they will care about comfort. Reviews don’t speak favorably of the passenger seat on the new model, but the jury is still out. I look forward to ride reviews from a passenger perspective. Passengers will decide on a lot of GL1800 sales, especially upgrade sales. In my situation/opinion, the only reason to buy an 800-900 pound bike is to accommodate a passenger in luxury. Otherwise, buy a smaller bike.

Last edited:
In addition to having a 10 gallon reduction in luggage capacity on the new ‘Wing, I read that the dual helmet locks under the trunk of the old 1800 are not present on the new model. From what I can tell from the owner's manual, you are expected to lock one helmet to a hook on the left side with some kind of extension piece and set that helmet on the passenger seat, and I don’t know what you’d do with the other helmet. The old system was enormously convenient, taking all of ten seconds to lock two helmets to the bike.

While the trunk may hold two helmets, the trunk, like most of our NC frunks, is never empty, so that’s not a viable option.

Passengers won’t care so much about fancy electronic toys, handling, or power, but they will care about comfort. Reviews don’t speak favorably of the passenger seat on the new model, but the jury is still out. I look forward to ride reviews from a passenger perspective. Passengers will decide on a lot of GL1800 sales, especially upgrade sales. In my situation/opinion, the only reason to buy an 800-900 pound bike is to accommodate a passenger in luxury. Otherwise, buy a smaller bike.
And the 2001 to 2017 1800 trunk was smaller than the 1500 trunks. They gotta stop that trend!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

So, seven speed dct with walking and reverse.

I wonder what changes are coming for other bikes.
DCT with the overdrive and walk-a-ma-gic available without ABS.
The added wt. is only 13 lbs vs the manual.

Also curious about the DCT with Throttle by wire.
Will it reduce lag compared to cable?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The aftermarket exists to correct the inadequacies in design and equipment of virtually every brand of motorcycle. Why single out Honda?

Tour on an NM-4? Where, to anime conventions?

I know couples that tour two up on ST1300s with just a top box and standard panniers. Pack light and leave the hair dryer at home. Can't do that? Install a hitch and pull a little trailer. Plenty of Wingers do that now. Better yet, buy a bigger trailer, put the Gold Wing in it, and hitch it all to the truck and go touring.
NM4 works fine as a touring bike. But you do need to modify it. Panniers require some creative packing and should be used for specific items that you can compact. For example, in my right pannier, I carry the following:

Rain jacket, rain pants, overmitts, spare gloves, tool kit, air pump, couple rags, and a microstart battery booster. Yea, it's tight, but it all fits.

A topcase is used for luggage. I built my own mount which makes taking a passenger no longer possible, but there are aftermarket mounts now that still preserve passenger capability. Does not matter to me as I always ride solo.

The factory seat is nice, but I had it modified to better support my back.

I added Hot Grip heated grips, GPS cradle, USB ports, and Clearwater driving lights. I've also wired in a 15amp SAE port that serves triple duty as my BatteryMinder connection, air pump connector, and an easy place to plug in my heated gear. Have also added a center stand modified from a NM700s.

Yea, the looks of an NM4 are a bit Sci-fi, but it is a very comfortable and easy handling motorcycle. I think traffic sees me more due to the "what is that?" factor.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

I am not 100% sure if is safe for me to mention that I was involved in the Honda research groups that lead to the development of this version of the GoldWing. I also got to ride the Prototype with the DCT with the mentioned options over 2 years ago.

I figure that the bike is public information and I should be fine now.

I wish they would do a 500-600lb version of that DCT GW - that I would be interested in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish they would do a 500-600lb version of that DCT GW - that I would be interested in.

Yep, leave the 800-900 pound bike as the two up tourer. Then build a more “midsize” 1200cc flat 4 cylinder, but a modern version. It would be a single rider Goldwing. That’s why the Neowing looks appealing to me.

Ah well, we always want what we can’t have.

Last edited:
I am not 100% sure if is safe for me to mention that I was involved in the Honda research groups that lead to the development of this version of the GoldWing. I also got to ride the Prototype with the DCT with the mentioned options over 2 years ago.

I figure that the bike is public information and I should be fine now.
Did the prototype have Throttle by wire and DCT?

Yep, leave the 800-900 pound bike as the two up tourer. Then build a more “midsize” 1200cc flat 4 cylinder, but a modern version. It would be a single rider Goldwing. That’s why the Neowing looks appealing to me.

Be careful of what you ask for. I suspect that the next iteration will be a Hybrid with an 800-1200cc 4 cylinder engine that has a 20-mile range on full electric at speeds 40 MPH or under like a Prius.

This is my personal option. Schultz!!! I Know Nothing!!!

Let me put my two cents in here: I have a 2015 Yamaha Super Tenere ES factory equipped with shaft drive, heated handgrips, cruise control, electronic adjustable suspension, a 250 mile range, centerstand all for $13,500 plus the usual dealer add-ons. I absolutely love the bike. I absolutely fantasize that Honda and Yamaha could collaborate and put a DCT in the abovementioned package. Perfection achieved.

I was actually nervous walking into my favorite Honda dealer yesterday, fearing the presence of an '18 Wing. It would be a financial catastrophe for the current situation, but a DCT Wing at 820 lbs. would probably be beyond my ability to resist. My aching, old-carpenter's left hand has already come to be very fond of the Missus' NC DCT's lack of a clutch lever, and I've even test-ridden an FJR13 AE (electric clutch) in response.
Not only that, the new-gen Wing will probably be better at wheelies, if the electronic nannies can be pushed aside.

I was actually nervous walking into my favorite Honda dealer yesterday, fearing the presence of an '18 Wing. It would be a financial catastrophe for the current situation, but a DCT Wing at 820 lbs. would probably be beyond my ability to resist. My aching, old-carpenter's left hand has already come to be very fond of the Missus' NC DCT's lack of a clutch lever, and I've even test-ridden an FJR13 AE (electric clutch) in response.
Not only that, the new-gen Wing will probably be better at wheelies, if the electronic nannies can be pushed aside.

Relax. I think it’s another 3 months before dealers will have any 2018s on the floor.

Mercurywing, that tenere looks great on paper. Is the two cylinder engine smooth at highway speed? How are the passenger accommodations? I would like a bigger bike, but 820 pounds is a little intimidating to me.

I've seen this bike in Cycle World Magazine yesterday for the first time and I think I have a crush ! Oh boy !
I might be back in Honda team sooner than I tought :)

It's real and it's happening soon! My dealer received the first shipment of 2018 Goldwing accessories today so I got on a call list for a DCT demo ride today. The Honda warehouse here in Jacksonville, FL is set to ship the first bikes on 1/31..... less than a week! The first weekend in February some of us should be able to swing a leg over an actual production 2018 Goldwing.

BTW the March issue of Rider came two days ago and the first two pages were a Goldwing ad. It reminds me of the 2 page ad for the NC700X in the same place in 2012.

Back