• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2018 Goldwing...up close and personal!

Not good, not good at all. First production release models are basically "Beta Testing Units" and are sold to the public for real-world testing. Companies find it cheaper and as cost savings to send out units into the field instead of doing all the intensive in-house testing before releasing a product. Then let the dealers be the data collection centers that report back on all the issues that they encounter.

I would personally wait at least two model years before getting one, at that time all these issues should be addressed.

I was one of those "Beta Testers" for Zero Motorcycles for 2 years and I found plenty of issues with the bike for them, which lead to the bike's demise and it sold back to them.

Last edited:
Not good, not good at all. First production release models are basically "Beta Testing Units" and are sold to the public for real-world testing. Companies find it cheaper and as cost savings to send out units into the field instead of doing all the intensive in-house testing before releasing a product. Then let the dealers be the data collection centers that report back on all the issues that they encounter.

I would personally wait at least two model years before getting one, at that time all these issues should be addressed.

I was one of those "Beta Testers" for Zero Motorcycles for 2 years and I found plenty of issues with the bike for them, which lead to the bike's demise and it sold back to them.

I think what you say makes a lot of sense for some manufacturers but Honda typically does not do anything of the sort. There is no Honda tribal experience to support this, at least since 2001 or earlier models. This GW reportedly has been in development 4 or 5 years. I'd take that bet. Those of us that bought 2012 NC700Xs had no problems with the bike or it's systems.

I think what you say makes a lot of sense for some manufacturers but Honda typically does not do anything of the sort. There is no Honda tribal experience to support this, at least since 2001 or earlier models. This GW reportedly has been in development 4 or 5 years. I'd take that bet. Those of us that bought 2012 NC700Xs had no problems with the bike or it's systems.

The front suspension is a totally new design based off nothing else like it. A threaded end cap for the steering head to load the bearings properly would have been a "No Brainer" to me and the most appropriate method to use. Instead from what I saw in another video by Max McAllister clearly showed only a pinch clamp and a dowel pin used for locating the clamp holding in the steering head. This method is not the most reliable way on a critical assembly such as this.

[video=youtube;DnMhiTiikdQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnMhiTiikdQ[/video]

In an earlier video, Max stated that Honda left the bikes with him to investigate the suspension issues. I am just saying...

I got to ride one of the prototypes on a proving grounds about 3 years ago in the Mojave Desert. It is possible the design and development started a year or 2 before that.

Last edited:
Doesn't change a thing. Honda has tested it and they don't employ internet video makers in the engineering department.

Just remember one small detail. With all due respect for the suspension shop above, they are first of all in the business of making and SELLING suspensions. The guy needs to find what could be done better and then sell it, otherwise he will loose portion of his business. Just look at their site, they sell suspensions for all makes and models of motorcycles, meaning THEY think that all bikes have lacking suspensions and will benefit from their products. While there is nothing wrong with that, it does not mean that the manufacturers don’t have a clue about what they are doing. It just means that this company can offer you perhaps a better suspension, just like Ohlins, Wilbers and the likes, but at a cost. Manufacturers will usually offer you what is good enough while keeping the cost down. This guy needs to persuade you, that his $1400 product + $800 installation fee is better for you. And it may be, I don’t dispute that. I’m just not buying the idea, that Honda engineers don’t know what they are doing and only this guy can save their clueless a**.

C & C Powersports in Clarksville, Indiana has a white DCT Goldwing sitting on the floor now. I sat on it yesterday.

Going the give the dealer a call, something seems a bit fishy. Thanks for the info.

Edit: The dealer says it takes an extra month to pass all the state testing .... oh well.

Last edited:
Just remember one small detail. With all due respect for the suspension shop above, they are first of all in the business of making and SELLING suspensions. The guy needs to find what could be done better and then sell it, otherwise he will loose portion of his business. Just look at their site, they sell suspensions for all makes and models of motorcycles, meaning THEY think that all bikes have lacking suspensions and will benefit from their products. While there is nothing wrong with that, it does not mean that the manufacturers don’t have a clue about what they are doing. It just means that this company can offer you perhaps a better suspension, just like Ohlins, Wilbers and the likes, but at a cost. Manufacturers will usually offer you what is good enough while keeping the cost down. This guy needs to persuade you, that his $1400 product + $800 installation fee is better for you. And it may be, I don’t dispute that. I’m just not buying the idea, that Honda engineers don’t know what they are doing and only this guy can save their clueless a**.

Well said Dreamer

Funny stuff right there!

The difference between a multi-billion dollar design and manufacturing company like Honda and a garage startup like Zero is pretty stark...Especially when it comes to design/development cycles and engineering ....Just sayin' ;-)

Suggesting that Zero motorcycles have problems therefore Honda will have problems and Honda will take several years to "address" those issues is kinda silly.

BTW, the first year GL1800s were the most problem free. I waited two more years before I bought mine....Then, like ALL model year 2003 GL1800s I had to have the frame repaired/replaced.

In neither case are customers considered "beta testers", especially with a flagship product.

Stuff happens. Sometimes in MY one, sometimes in MY five or six.

Last edited:
The white caught my eye on the Internet. In person the blue and brown look bettter to me.
When I stopped at Russellville Honda the guy said they had taken 60 deposits and delivered 30.
I think the white ones on the floor are all sold, but he does have two demo models, one dct and one standard.
I couldn’t test ride as it was raining. New Africa Twin also looks very nice.
He offered a substantial discount over the nearest dealer to me.

First production release models are basically "Beta Testing Units" and are sold to the public for real-world testing.

I have no idea how Zero does their development, but I have a very good friend who is an engineer for Honda R&D Americas and Honda doesn't sell "Beta Testing Units" to the public for real-world testing. Although Honda no longer does any motorcycle development or manufacturing in the US, Honda world wide policies are established in Japan.

A recently retired friend that used to work at American Honda in Torrance commented that these younger engineers rely heavily on upon 3D simulations on new designs. Quite honestly these software packages are not 100% dead on every time. In a simulaion a pinch clamp used to hold a critical compoent such as a sterering head might check out. Being in the real world being used and abused on the US highway system is a better testing process than any software simulation.

A lot of companies have adopted the "Built it and Fix It Later" philosophy in most recent years.

There's my 2¢ worth.

You should probably stick with something you have first hand knowledge of, like being a an ice cream flavor cop.

giphy.gif

So, I got to sit on a new GW the other day. My legs are too long, the knees are hitting the sharp edge of bodywork so much that it hurt. So disappointed :(

DFCF3CFE-6415-4C3C-B739-E663EF37EA7D.jpgBrought one home. Pearl white tour dct. Ordered a mess of accessories.
Smooth, powerful, comfortable. Needs forward pegs.

A6BE3B7F-9D65-4A49-ACFC-6132FDEFCCE4.jpg

Back