• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2018 NC750X price negotiation

mtnbiker1185

Reaction score
Visit site
So my local dealer has a brand new 2018 NC750X (manual) for $7599. Considering the 2020 manual NC750X can be had for $8099 per the Honda website, I am thinking they may be willing to negotiate the price some to get a now two year old bike off their floor. Especially considering the NC is not a very popular bike here in the US. Instead of getting them to come down on price, I am thinking about maybe talking them into throwing in some extra's for me, which is where my question comes in. What do you all think would be a fair ask?

Right now I am thinking having them throw in a center stand and a helmet; a center stand and a top case; or maybe a center stand, helmet, and bluetooth headset for the helmet; but not sure if maybe I am being too unrealistic and should just try talking them down in price.

At the end of the day, if they aren't willing to negotiate at all, even if it is just taking some money off and no extras, I will just have them order a 2020 since I like the color scheme on them better anyway. Plus, I can get then get the DCT version.

Rember that the Honda accessories can be easily purchased for 20% more off of list price. I bought my Honda centerstand, MSRP $149, some years ago, but I paid $107, free shipping, no sales tax. I don't know if $107 is still available, but a $120 price for a centerstand should be easy to find. My point is, there is a lot of dealer markup in the accessories, so if you go by list price, and the dealer tosses them in with your motorcycle purchase, the deal may not be as great as it sounds. The dealer doesn't pay all that much for the accessories.

I would favor negotiating down the price of the motorcycle. Accessories and gear deals can be found later on, when you can shop for what you want and for the best price.

As for the motorcycle itself, it varies by location, but almost nobody pays list price. When the 2012 NC700X first came on the scene, the manual version listed for $6999, but it was easy to buy one in the midwest, the first week it was available, for $6300, freight and setup included.

Last edited:
You may want to consider that as soon as you sign the papers, that 2018 NC would be worth about $6205.00 and have a trade in value of $4275.00. KBB.

I just checked NADA and it has the average retail price at $6680, with the low being $5075. Either way, considerably less than what they have it listed for.

If you can find a DCT buy it and sell it out here in CA. Especially if it's the red and silver.
I can't find any of those out here, and the 2020 is a dark, graphite black color. It's almost as if Honda doesn't want its riders to be seen.

It kinda depends on what type of dealership it is....is it a small family run place or is it a "big-box" multi-line dealer?

Multi-line dealers typically has a bit more wiggle room to negotiate because more often than not, the motorcycle on the floor is on some type of consignment basis with the manufacturer. Whereas the smaller dealer either owns it (or their bank) and relies on manufacturer rebates to discount the price.

Use only this as a reference, but I paid $6800 OTD (that is tax, license, reg at California rates) for a leftover 2018 Manual earlier this year. Prices vary on location, time of year, popularity of the product and what I stated above.

At the end of the day, unless you absolutely need to have the best price possible, negotiate for a fair price, pay your money and simply enjoy the heck out of it. Because at the end of the day, life is too short to haggle and worry over things you cannot take with you when your time is up.

So I went and talked to the dealer today. He wouldn't let me test ride it because he said he doesn't actually prep any of the motorcycles until they are bought. He also wouldn't really negotiate the price at all. The most he was willing to do was take off the destination and paperwork fees which added up to just over $400. Either way, he still wanted over $7,000 for a two-year-old motorcycle. When I mentioned that it was too much, he offered to order one for me. When I had him look into that, he then tried getting me to buy a 2019 and acted like he had no idea when the 2020's would be available to order. He even mentioned they may not be available until halfway through the season. Not sure how true that is, but I figure if Honda has the price listed on their website now they should be able to put in an order for on even if it takes a couple of months for it to come in, but I don't know.

There is still one other dealership that has a 2018 locally that I will try. The last time I went there no one even came out of their offices to talk to me about it. They are currently wanting $7,999 for it.

I am not looking to get a super great deal, but I also don't think paying less than $1,000 under what a brand new one costs for a two-year-old model is a good price either. Plus, I really would like to get a DCT version anyway. I was only really thinking about getting the 2018 if they were willing to get me a really good price on it. I am thinking my best option at this point is to just find a dealer willing to order a 2020 for me and just go that route.

I try to buy from large Honda Powerhouse dealers who sell at a discounted price, no freight, no prep, no games. Sometimes they can get product on request from a Honda warehouse, and they often get in some old Honda stock to sell at discount. If I have to travel 500 miles to get the deal, so be it. My bikes will never go back to a dealer for service anyway, so I don't care where I buy it from, as long as the price is right.

If nothing else, expand your search. The two dealers you described so far don't deserve your business.

Last edited:
Given all that you've stated and the somewhat negligible price difference, I would hold out for a black 2020 DCT! And shop around on them! Call every dealer within reasonable driving distance and get out the door pricing. I wouldn't get hung up on doing business with a single dealer just bc they have a slightly cheaper older bike that is not the DCT that you seem to prefer.

I price checked brand new 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900's a few months back and was surprised at the out the door price differences among several dealers. Some were more than $1k difference on a $9-10k bike.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice on calling around to different dealers to quote OTD prices for a new one. There are a hand full of Honda dealers around me within a 30 min drive or so.

indyDean - if I lived within a reasonable driving distance of that dealership I would look into getting it. I live in Southeast Virginia and my job doesn't allow for me to up and drive a couple of states away on a whim, unfortunately. Thanks for the info though. I appreciate it.

https://www.bigstcharlesmotorsports...yType=Motorcycle-/-Scooter&category=Adventure

Hopefully that link works. Brand new 2018 NC750X for $4999. +Prep and other bs will get you out the door for 6k i am guessing

I got my 2015 NC700X brand new from them this august for $2999. Total out the door with tax (7%), title, Indiana registration, prep, setup etc was 3800 bucks. Had to finance through Honda (or pay $400 more) but paid it off on first payment with no penalty.

And to show how clueless (or dishonest) dealers can be, that bike shown is the more-expensive DCT version, as it has ABS, visible on the front brake disk.
This bike could be ridden by so many people and should be one of the best sellers, but dealers don't have a clue how to sell a bike that can hold a lot of stuff, get over 60mpg in the city, and 200 miles per tank. Sad...

And to show how clueless (or dishonest) dealers can be, that bike shown is the more-expensive DCT version, as it has ABS, visible on the front brake disk.
This bike could be ridden by so many people and should be one of the best sellers, but dealers don't have a clue how to sell a bike that can hold a lot of stuff, get over 60mpg in the city, and 200 miles per tank. Sad...

The two dealers near me that have the 2018 NC750X in stock use the same photos as the one that dealer used. They are all stock photos of the European DCT version. Apparently using the stock Honda photos is easier than snapping a few pictures of the actual bike on their sales floor. To be honest, for the most part the two models look pretty much the same so I can't say I really blame them. The specifications are at least correct as far as i can tell.

So I called four different dealerships around me and only one said they could order a 2020, but couldn't give me a timeframe on how long it would take it to come in since they didn't know what warehouse it was coming from. Up until this point I was under the impression that it would work like a car dealership where you can have them order you a vehicle from the factory, it gets built, and sent to you. Or at a minimum, they put in an order with Honda and one of the ones they were planning on sending to the US anyway is earmarked for you. Apparently that is not the case and they can only order a motorcycle that is sitting in a warehouse in the US somewhere. Or am I just working with incompetent dealers?

And there’s this little note that says “add $400 for cash price.” WTF??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And there’s this little note that says “add $400 for cash price.” WTF??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big St Charles was where I was gonna buy that VFR1200X earlier this year. I asked about the cash price fee, it's because paying with cash does not get them the kickback they normally receive from their finance company on every newly financed vehicle they sell.

Big St Charles was where I was gonna buy that VFR1200X earlier this year. I asked about the cash price fee, it's because paying with cash does not get them the kickback they normally receive from their finance company on every newly financed vehicle they sell.

Ditto on the cash penalty. I got a quote for an RV once and I was told I would have to pay $3000 more if I wanted to pay cash. I walked away, but jeez, what’s the world coming to?

Ditto on the cash penalty. I got a quote for an RV once and I was told I would have to pay $3000 more if I wanted to pay cash. I walked away, but jeez, what’s the world coming to?

There was once a time when you could actually get a discount if you paid in cash vise finance. I guess you could always just finance through them and then turn around and pay off the loan right away before they have the chance to collect any amount of interest on it.

A Couple for things are becoming obvious:

It is sad how hard it is to buy some models in the US market place.

Cash no longer gets you the best price.

Most ads use stock photos especially because they might not have the bike in stock or it’s still in the box. Some states require a VIN or stock number for each ad.

There are no custom orders in Honda from the factory. Warehouses are filled with bikes produced weeks, months or years back.

Big dealers and small dealers all pay the exact same price. Left over models are discounted same price to all. If the unit price drops there are usually rebates or adjustments to the dealer invoice price. Dealer pricing is up to individual dealers. Most importantly OUT THE DOOR price is what really counts.

Dealers don’t stock bikes in low demand, they might not order one ( especially a left over model) even if it’s paid in full. Because the fear the sale gets canceled ( especially a financed bike, bank won’t send the check until delivery) and they get stuck with the bike. Stuck because as several posts mentioned left over models can drop in price by $1000’s almost over night. Units from closed dealer or repro units by the dealerships bank might be sold at auction for lower prices and can be sold as new never titled units.

Wonder why the used bike prices are messed up........brand new 2015 for $2999. WOW ��!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
So I was finally able to find a 2018 DCT model about three hours away in another state. The OTD if I finance is $8394. If I pay cash it is $7930, but I will have to take care of tax and tags myself (most likely leaving me with the same price). I figure roughly $2k less than if I were to wait and try to get a 2020 since they are listing the base price at $6981. I am thinking I may just go with it, rent a trailer and drive down to get it. I mentioned that I would have liked the price lower since I was having to drive so far to get it, but they weren't willing to budge.

At this point I am concerned I may not be able to find a 2020 DCT in my area when they do become available since it all seems to be a the whim of what Honda feels like sending. However, I am also wondering how much the price will drop if I hold out longer and the 2020's are officially released. It is winter now so while I would like to think I will ride it a lot, the reality is I could probably wait until March or so and not really lose out on any riding time. Decisions, decisions.

Back