• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2018: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced the 1 amp fuse for the factory 12v plug adapter. Silly me tried to plug in a compact compressor as a test for my upcoming trip. Glad I did it here. Whoever installed the cigarette lighter plug followed the factory directions and the fuse was behind the side panel. Now that that is replaced, what can you run from a 1 amp plug?

I plan on replacing the cigarette lighter plug on the compressor with as SAE plug and using my charger connection to power the compressor.

Charger connection is not really designed for high amp draw either. I run a heavy duty marine cig socket in the frunk wired direct to the battery with a 15 amp fuse. My compressor draw is listed as 10 amp. Another option might be a heated clothing battery harness. That is designed for higher draw. They usually use a coax connector.

I made a heavy duty SAE plug with a 15 amp fuse wired to the battery that comes out under the plastic. It replaced the standard issue battery tender connection and doubles as a connection for my compressor if ever needed.

I rode to Joplin to buy a new battery for my home security system.
I should get a bulk rate on batteries.

Today I changed the rear tire. Another rear tire shows cords!

I'm not a fan of these rear tires that have no tread along the center line. So I kept a close eye on my rear Conti Motion. On the last ride, I see the rubber starting to wrinkle in the middle. What annoys me about the Motion is that although I just hit the wear bar on the left, I'm not through it on the right, but there is no rubber left in the center. A little more warning would be nice.
100_1579.jpg

So I mount up a half used Michelin PR4 from my tire stock. Prior to mounting, I check wheel balance. This is the only wheel out of the 5 I've checked that actually has the heaviest spot at the valve. See my thread on that subject: The red dot on the tire.
100_1583.jpg

I mark it for future reference.
100_1585.jpg

The Michelin PR4 has by far the softest sidewalls of any tire I've mounted. If you want to practice mounting tires, do it with the Pilot Road 4 or similar tire. When I watched the No-Mar guy at the bike show demo their tire mounting machine, it was a PR4 that he mounted and dismounted about 50 times a day. He must have chosen that for a reason.
100_1589.jpg

Last edited:
Camping with the new Cot Tent was great. The kids loved it as much as i did and they played in it nearly the entire time. :{)
NC next to the Cot Tent camping.jpg

As i arrived at a friends camp, two kids couldn't even wait for me to get it unloaded and set up. :{)
Mattie and Bit on the NC camping.jpg

Today I changed the rear tire. Another rear tire shows cords!

I'm not a fan of these rear tires that have no tread along the center line. So I kept a close eye on my rear Conti Motion. On the last ride, I see the rubber starting to wrinkle in the middle. What annoys me about the Motion is that although I just hit the wear bar on the left, I'm not through it on the right, but there is no rubber left in the center. A little more warning would be nice.
View attachment 37057

So I mount up a half used Michelin PR4 from my tire stock. Prior to mounting, I check wheel balance. This is the only wheel out of the 5 I've checked that actually has the heaviest spot at the valve. See my thread on that subject: The red dot on the tire.
View attachment 37058

I mark it for future reference.
View attachment 37059

The Michelin PR4 has by far the softest sidewalls of any tire I've mounted. If you want to practice mounting tires, do it with the Pilot Road 4 or similar tire. When I watched the No-Mar guy at the bike show demo their tire mounting machine, it was a PR4 that he mounted and dismounted about 50 times a day. He must have chosen that for a reason.
View attachment 37060

What is that yellow plastic device? It looks like it may do the job of "The Breezer" which was an aluminum bar with a cut-out on it to put in the groove and hit with a hammer. It did the job of the machine bar when on the side of the road. I used it several times on trips to change tires. Steel rims though.

Attachments

• BREEZER.jpg
    BREEZER.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 145
Camping with the new Cot Tent was great. The kids loved it as much as i did and they played in it nearly the entire time. :{)
View attachment 37063

As i arrived at a friends camp, two kids couldn't even wait for me to get it unloaded and set up. :{)

Man I wish that had been available when I was travelling in the 80s. MAN!

Not the kids. The tent.

I replaced the 1 amp fuse for the factory 12v plug adapter. Silly me tried to plug in a compact compressor as a test for my upcoming trip. Glad I did it here. Whoever installed the cigarette lighter plug followed the factory directions and the fuse was behind the side panel. Now that that is replaced, what can you run from a 1 amp plug?

I plan on replacing the cigarette lighter plug on the compressor with as SAE plug and using my charger connection to power the compressor.

Charger connection is not really designed for high amp draw either. I run a heavy duty marine cig socket in the frunk wired direct to the battery with a 15 amp fuse. My compressor draw is listed as 10 amp. Another option might be a heated clothing battery harness. That is designed for higher draw. They usually use a coax connector.

I made a heavy duty SAE plug with a 15 amp fuse wired to the battery that comes out under the plastic. It replaced the standard issue battery tender connection and doubles as a connection for my compressor if ever needed.

Okay, so the compressor is 12 volt and 72 watts which makes 6 amps where I went to school. The fused battery tender connector that was already wired to the battery has a 7.5 fuse.

SO..... I took the easy way out.
plug.jpg

Worked like a charm.

I also took 19' (all that was left on the spool) of 3/32 in vinyl coated wire rope and used a 3/32 in. Aluminum Ferrule and Stop Set with some heat shrink tubing and for less than $10 made a scratch proof "semi-"security cable. It won't make the bike impossible to steal, but maybe make it less attractive than the next one....

Yesterday i had the opportunity to take the day off and meet/make a new friend. He is somewhat of a Celebrity with many vids on YouTube(Tiny bike to Alaska, and several others). Tim is known as "Tewster2" on the ADV site. He has ridden to Alaska several times. i was able to meet up with him it Port Hill Idaho at the Canadian Border crossing and had a great visit.

and get a picture welcoming him back into the states!
View attachment 36744

Rapturee - looks like your NC has a cameo performance in Tewsters2 latest Youtube, at 4:40 on "Twester's Traveling Circus Alaska 2018 Episode 2 Preview".

Thanks nwC. I hadn't seen/heard that he had posted any new vids yet. Thanks for the heads up. Just watched them, man that guy can edit and put together great vids. Sure cool to see my bike in there! I shot him a msg and he replied saying he was going to be heading west again in a few weeks. We might be able to meet up again for a couple of days worth of riding this time if i can get the time off from work. Maybe meet up at/around 3 Step Hideaway middle of next month. :{)

Last edited:
I finally got to get back on the bike for my daily commute. It's been a couple of months since shoulder surgery and things have finally progressed to the point where riding is doable (although the doc probably won't hear about it). It's good to be back in the saddle. :)
>Thom

Getting the NC700x ready for a ride to Lake Hope Ohio tomorrow. The meet there is actually for Rebel 250s, started going when I had a Suzuki 250, but they dont care what you ride. At least I am showing up on a Honda :)

Thanks nwC. I hadn't seen/heard that he had posted any new vids yet. Thanks for the heads up. Just watched them, man that guy can edit and put together great vids. Sure cool to see my bike in there! I shot him a msg and he replied saying he was going to be heading west again in a few weeks. We might be able to meet up again for a couple of days worth of riding this time if i can get the time off from work. Maybe meet up at/around 3 Step Hideaway middle of next month. :{)

Looks like this last Alaska trip he really summarized most of the trip down to a 5 minute video. I was wondering, based on your earlier post of meeting up with him, if he would have included your ride with him in it. At least your bike make the final cut. Maybe you will be in the next one if you get to ride with him in Utah and offer to buy him a slice of pie??

good for you Thom...went thought that last year. full replacement. I snuck back on mine a little early too

I had a total replacement right before Christmas. When people asked why I did it then, I simply explained that I enjoy motorcycling more than snow shoveling. Most people understood. Maybe not my girlfriend, who had to shovel.

Did the dreaded air filter change at 20k as well as battery change. Wasn’t bad at all. A lot easier than installing the sub harness. I only commute on the freeway and was surprised it was this dirty.

de5e7decf4a5b40426a863bad2a7e3f6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back