• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2018: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My old next door neighbors from Brooklyn were down here in a time share in Cocoa Beach, and invited me over to watch the launch and take some picturesLaunch 2.jpgBooster landing 2.jpg.

The traffic on the causeway to beach side was backed up about 1/2 mile to turn on to A1A, so I slipped into a NY state of mind and went between the lines of traffic. People were so impressed they kept blowing their horns to cheer me on:rolleyes:

I rode to work again... tons of traffic for some reason today -- but since this is California there's no such thing for us bikes. Split lanes for a solid 30 miles before traffic cleared up.

The bike now has almost 40,000 miles on it and the external fuel tank has almost 3k miles on it. Working flawlessly. I'm averaging 320 miles between fill ups, and going as far as 350-375 in some cases. It's really really nice not having to get fuel every other day.

I rode some back roads over to Neosho, Missouri and rode a nice road called “The Old Scenic Highway.”
About 100 miles. I had on my heated gear but did not need it.

Finally got out after two months of travel and cold, wet weather. Nice sunny afternoon about 60F. Rode back roads in upper South Carolina.
71998064751b1c5ffe3384c239d06e62.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Finally took the bike off the road to due maintenance. Nearly 39k km out of the stock chain is more than I expected. Front sprocket off, rear wheel off and chain broken.

Learned that if you use a cheap chain tool with the wrong bit you can break the bit. Got a lot easier when I used the right bit. To crack the front sprocket bolt I did it before removing the chain. Had the bike on the ground and applied the rear brake with my knee. Leaning over the bike with a breaker bar made it easier than expected.

P1030760.jpg

Finally took the bike off the road to due maintenance. Nearly 39k km out of the stock chain is more than I expected. Front sprocket off, rear wheel off and chain broken.

Learned that if you use a cheap chain tool with the wrong bit you can break the bit. Got a lot easier when I used the right bit. To crack the front sprocket bolt I did it before removing the chain. Had the bike on the ground and applied the rear brake with my knee. Leaning over the bike with a breaker bar made it easier than expected.

NIce nice!

Another trick is to get a wooden handled hammer and stick it between the spoke of the wheel and the bottom of the swingarm. As you turn the front sprocket bolt it'll hold your wheel in place for you and no Yoga poses and standing on the rear brake.

Did the same yesterday! I clamped a vise grip on the old front sprocket and the nut took one hard push with the ratchet.

I ordered my sprockets 2 weeks ago but when they came in the rear sprocket turned out to be a 43T. But as Murphy's Law proves, I didn't notice this until I got home, took the rear wheel off then pulled out the sprocket. Nothing on the bag sticker said anything about the number of teeth. If it did I would have never left the shop!

What I did learn is that, according to the cycle shop I go to, the only manufacturer that is making 39T sprockets is Honda. He said the others listed theirs as 39T but they aren't. So be careful when ordering.

Also, Motion Pro makes a gear jammer tool. (I love this company, they have a lot of neat gadgets!)

md_08-0427.jpg

GearJammer - Motion Pro

What I did learn is that, according to the cycle shop I go to, the only manufacturer that is making 39T sprockets is Honda. He said the others listed theirs as 39T but they aren't. So be careful when ordering.

I think this cycle shop is wrong. Honda doesn’t manufacture sprockets, anyway. Honda gets them from a supplier. Honda is not the sole source for a 39 tooth rear sprocket that fits the NC700X.

Last edited:
Who else is making them? I like the steel sprockets made by Sunstar. Just noticed even JT Sprockets in 39T are "clearanced".

Then I’m wrong. I’ll admit I never tried to order a 39 tooth sprocket, since I don’t have a DCT, however I see the DCT sprocket/chain kit still listed at sprocket center. If the 39 tooth is not available except through Honda, we’ll that’s a bummer for DCT owners. The 43 tooth seems readily available.

Check out "SuperSprox" Sprockets.........their "Steel" sprockets, not their "Stealth Series". I'm not familiar with all the 700/DCT model names, so it may or may not be listed. But they cut "custom sprockets" too. I have their Stealth series rear on my Vstrom and CB500X........look trick (and are suppose to be lighter than all-steel units).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back