• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2018: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No biggie to all of you, but today I'll be making my longest venture yet, a whopping 30 miles to my FFL friend to drop off an old S&W 1076 for shipping. Some freeway, some backroad. 60 miles round trip will be the farthest I've taken this, or any other, motorcycle.
You've got to start somewhere and think of all the motorcycle collecting mouth balls, at least your out there riding[emoji106]

I can think of 5 guys with motorcycles that don't get that many miles a year

Did a 300 mile loop around Florida's Lake Okeechobee. Believe it or not, but there were some hills and turns! I had a buddy with and some of the were not kind to his Harley. It made me appreciate the NC's "go anywhere" swiss army knife build.

Capture-_2018-07-06-17-47-59_zps1edq7xkj.png

Well I was about to go for a ride, and unfortunately she didn't want to start. I checked the battery voltage and she was below 6 volts. I wonder if the battery is shot? She's a 2012 that I bought new in 2013 so the battery is 6 years old... anyone any thoughts?

heh, my eldest son has a Dyna and he has the same issues when we ride together on a certain road i like to take to get some fantastic PIE. It is a long windy road that follows a local lake and the PIE spot is clear at the other end of the lake! I enjoy the ride and he scrapes each side a lot! :{)
dad and michael riding to lunch2 june 11th 2018.jpg

Well I was about to go for a ride, and unfortunately she didn't want to start. I checked the battery voltage and she was below 6 volts. I wonder if the battery is shot? She's a 2012 that I bought new in 2013 so the battery is 6 years old... anyone any thoughts?

Hey Max, i'd certainly try cleaning each terminal first, checking each cell to make sure each is full of fluid and recharging it. Then it may be time to replace if that doesn't work.
:{)

Last edited:

How long since last ride? Are there accessories attached drawing current with the key off? Have you kept it on a maintainer during periods of non use? 6 year’s isn’t necessarily very old, but it depends how it was cared for.

At at this point, charge it fully, let it sit a few hours, then check the resting voltage and report back.

So I charged the battery yesterday and left it overnight and it’s at 12.6v today. I’m gonna clean the terminals and reinstall and try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flat out gorgeous weather today in NC - sunny, upper 70’s, low humidity. Weird for this time of year. Took advantage and did about 220 miles up to Tuggles Gap, then south on the BRP and down squirrel spur road.

45d00304a23b0d2b28f75b32aa9cea1c.jpg

I went for a ride up to the hills: went up Curtis Creek Road, BRP to Mount Mitchell, back onto NC 80 and followed 7 Mile Ridge Road, Chestnut Mountain and Crabtree Road to Little Switzerland for some quiche and salad. I saw a rad NC700 parked outside Little Switzerland Cafe, was anyone from here up there today?

It was a good day!

Hey Max, i'd certainly try cleaning each terminal first, checking each cell to make sure each is full of fluid and recharging it.

The NC has an AGM battery. They are sealed: no vent, no caps to add water. Dirty/loose terminals reduces current flow that's why they can keep an engine from starting. A volt meter, particularly a digital one, has a very high input resistance and draws very little current and will give a pretty accurate voltage reading even with sub-optimal connections.

Time for a new battery.

So I charged the battery yesterday and left it overnight and it’s at 12.6v today. I’m gonna clean the terminals and reinstall and try it.

Depending on which chart you chose, 12.6 volts resting open circuit voltage isn’t all that bad. What we don’t know without a load test is the internal resistance and the cranking amps. But your problem originally was a very low voltage condition. This needs to be investigated separately. There was likely a parasitic load that drained it, or a fault in the charging system that allowed the battery to discharge while the motorcycle was running. Cleaning the terminals and very closely monitoring the battery voltage is the place to start. The next measurement you need to make is the voltage at the battery terminals while the engine is running at 3000-4000 RPM with all accessories on. It should be over 14 volts.

You've got to start somewhere and think of all the motorcycle collecting mouth balls, at least your out there riding[emoji106]

I can think of 5 guys with motorcycles that don't get that many miles a year
It was a great ride. I understand better about buffeting when at freeway speeds and the noise.

I had a troublesome start right in the driveway when I realized I hadn't started the dash-cam app on the phone and while fiddling and braking I stalled the bike. Then it did NOT want to restart; acted like the battery didn't have enough power to turn it over. I think I must have killed it on the compression stroke and the starter couldn't overcome it. After a few minutes it reluctantly started and I never had a problem with numerous starts since then.

Depending on which chart you chose, 12.6 volts resting open circuit voltage isn’t all that bad. What we don’t know without a load test is the internal resistance and the cranking amps. But your problem originally was a very low voltage condition. This needs to be investigated separately. There was likely a parasitic load that drained it, or a fault in the charging system that allowed the battery to discharge while the motorcycle was running. Cleaning the terminals and very closely monitoring the battery voltage is the place to start. The next measurement you need to make is the voltage at the battery terminals while the engine is running at 3000-4000 RPM with all accessories on. It should be over 14 volts.

So the battery was well at 14.6v when idling. Went to the dealer to inquire how much for a new Yuasa battery and they quoted me $263 + tax (almost $300 CDN).

So the battery was well at 14.6v when idling. Went to the dealer to inquire how much for a new Yuasa battery and they quoted me $263 + tax (almost $300 CDN).

If you think you need a new battery, go on line and buy the Motocross brand battery. It’s made by Yuasa. Same battery, different label, lower price. The Yuasa branded battery is for dealers to sell at high markup, whereas the Motocross brand is sold in competitive markets.

Last edited:

I've been told that the cheap Walmart version is also made by Yusa. It may or may not be true. In any case, I wouldn't worry much about which brand, there's only so many ways to manufacture a lead acid battery. Cheap/expensive, it doesn't matter much. You may just want to shop for price.

Today I did the same thing I do every day I ride. I cleaned the spider webs off the bars and forks. I have a resident spider who is very industrious.

Heh, today i started removing gthe factory rear grab bars to bolt on my new-to-me factory Honda touring luggage set that i just scored from a fellow NC700 rider from Spokane. Tomorrow after work i get to pick up the Luggage set and all of the mounting hardware. I got a great deal on the set for cash and my stock bars. Hated to spend that much cash, but wow it was a good deal! :{)

Heh, today i started removing gthe factory rear grab bars to bolt on my new-to-me factory Honda touring luggage set that i just scored from a fellow NC700 rider from Spokane. Tomorrow after work i get to pick up the Luggage set and all of the mounting hardware. I got a great deal on the set for cash and my stock bars. Hated to spend that much cash, but wow it was a good deal! :{)
You'll be glad you did, I don't have the top box but I use my side cases almost every time I ride and I know the rear rack is useful

Awesome! Yea, you won't be sorry. Used my top case for lots of stuff. It'll hold a surprising amount of groceries! :D Added the Tusk boxes and will be adding my top box back on as soon as the parts come in! I've definitely missed not having my top case temporarily. It's a nice 45 liter case that I can put tons of stuff in. Congrats on the deal!

Awesome! Yea, you won't be sorry. Used my top case for lots of stuff. It'll hold a surprising amount of groceries!
!

I had a box oh so many years ago. I traveled with it too. It was good at folding, spindling, mutilating and pureeing multitudes of groceries. It could make the best oil and grease containers foam open. . It could make a milk shake, strawberry smoothie or scrambled eggs (with shells) in a jiffy though. It was a marvel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back