• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2019: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, even the good ones only have 2 bolts holding them on (one at each end), but they're into more solid objects.

the failure mechanism I see on those is that the inner clamps twist on the bar, and the outer mount spins in the handguard

I think those guards in post #256 look really nice. I like that the stock weights are retained. The weights are very important and I would never remove mine. In fact, I added heavy weights to my CRF and it really smoothed out the vibration in the bars.

The handlebars are probably the weak link. I think they will bend long before the hand guard gives out.

If you're dropping your bike often, that habit would seem to be the problem to address first.

Last edited:
I had the same thoughts when installing them...good for wind, bugs, and debris deflection but no crash protection because of just 2 screws holding them in place. But I am not going to be doing serious off-roading anymore...too old. LOL
The way it looks to me in the picture they look like they would protect your hands as well as my BarkBusters, actually better wind wise (I've got the VPS) and the BarkBusters are 3 or 4 times the price

I tightened the highway pegs and adjusted the MadStad windscreen up a couple of inches. We'll see if that cuts down on the top helmet buffeting and excessive wind noise i'm getting this year... :{P

Last edited:
I think those guards in post #256 look really nice. I like that the stock weights are retained. The weights are very important and I would never remove mine. In fact, I added heavy weights to my CRF and it really smoothed out the vibration in the bars.

The handlebars are probably the weak link. I think they will bend long before the hand guard gives out.

If you're dropping your bike often, that habit would seem to be the problem to address first.
correct, steel bars tend to bend fairly easily

My bike came with the weights removed and the vibration is pretty minimal - I don't notice it.

most of my testing (and witnessing testing) has been either on track (including racing) or on dirt.

Woke it from the winter slumber!
Cleaned all the winter dust. Lubed the chain. Aired the tires. Waxed it to a shine.

Went for a 20min ride and topped the tank with some fresh go juice.

7311da6d322799eb800d95b4b30502ff.jpg

JT

Technically yesterday, but just getting around to posting it today.

Went out yesterday (as did everyone in the area, it seems, from the posts. It was a great day. Started off cold (35 deg or so) and got up to 60+ deg. Started with heated gear (not turned on) and ended up in my normal gloves (more geared to summer riding). Went all over the area through some farm roads (paved, single lane) and two lane. Stopped for coffee and lunch in Danville and ended up seeing one of (if not the) longest covered bridge in KY. The new exhaust sounded great and wasn't overly loud or obnoxious. Thanks to STCorndog for leading a great ride! He's the one passed out at the bridge. AdamFJ was also on the ride with us, and we all had a great time. Can't wait until the next ride.

cLLnvvE.jpg

ucRSzAM.jpg

I switched to a FIAMM Freeway Blaster Low Note horn, much better than stock and and aside from a small extension to the power lead so I could position the horn the way I wanted it's plug and play.
[/URL][/SIZE][/h]

All I did today was make plans to ride tomorrow. But I'm chiming in with a horn update.
The Denali SoundBomb mini was pulling too much peak power and only ever blew fuses / didn't work. A friend and I went to "Princess Auto" (like a Canadian version of Harbor Freight) with a big list of parts needed to make it work when I spotted two different FIAMM horns on a nearby shelf. I put the list away and bought both. The Freeway Blaster is slightly louder and, while both tested fine, is what I installed.
All I had to do was bend the mounting bracket a little with a pair of wrenches. Here's why: Some of the Freeway Blasters in stock had the wire leads up "top" which would require extending the wires but I found some had the leads at the "bottom". It might not be possible to ensure this orientation if you buy online, but it really made for an easy install/upgrade. Hope this helps.

On Monday I rode up PCH to see the dead grey whale on the beach at County Line. It was sad to see the young whale lying in the sand. Lots of wounds to its body, as well as the missing samples taken by whatever research teams checked it.

After, I just wanted to cheer up with a ride in a canyon so rode up PCH more and then, at Deer Creek Rd., decided to take it and see where it goes.

It's a narrow road, with no shoulder for most of the way, even along the edge of the canyon. Once over the coastal range, it seemed like I could have been in Montana. The landscape was so different from most other parts of Malibu.
Even though there were few cars out I still took it very slow. Not only did I not know the roads but there was dirt, debris and rocks all over the corners from the recent rains. With the DCT I was in S1 going uphill then just left it in D for the rest of the time.

I found a few spots to pull over and take these photos. Lots of properties with horses back there and some areas had almost nothing over a foot high growing on them, after the fires from the past few years. Some burned properties and lots of trailers next to homes that were being rebuilt.

I eventually found my way to Mulholland, but it was closed to the coast, but taking it the other way led me to Decker Canyon, which I knew was open back to PCH.
On a sport bike this ride would have been not nearly as fun but on the NC700 DCT I could really take advantage of the automatic doing the shifting and sit up, relaxed, and do more sightseeing than I ever used to do in the canyons on my Ninja's.

Attachments

• 20190325_135806 2.jpg
    20190325_135806 2.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 109
  • deer creek1.jpg
    deer creek1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 111
Rode to work today---yea!!! a brisk 33'F at my house when I left (no matter how much gear you wear, 33'F at 70mph on interstate gets chilly)...Going to be close to 70'f when I get off work; can we say, take the long way home this afternoon...
Also, ordered a new rear tire at my local mom/pop shop-they own a country camp down the hill from my house...give them my tire business. The pop had a major health scare in Feb-beat the widow maker 3 times in 3 days; ruptured brain aneurysm, which lead to a stroke; then 3 days later, emergency surgery for a ruptured bowel..he is doing good now...not working yet but getting better every day...only side affect he can notice is his hearing is worse (he wore hearing aids but now those dont help much).

He stated that was his first symptom something was wrong, he lost all hearing, as if in a vacuum, couple of minutes later, lost all movement of his legs..

Rode to work today---yea!!! a brisk 33'F at my house when I left (no matter how much gear you wear, 33'F at 70mph on interstate gets chilly)...Going to be close to 70'f when I get off work; can we say, take the long way home this afternoon...

40 when I left the apartment. You must live on the cold side of the river

Rode into work yesterday (full heated gear) and went to bike nite (no heated gear) and then home. beautiful day to be out yesterday. Almost rode in today, however woke up too tired, so when I get home, will ride up somewhere and grab dinner. Spring is almost here in the KY/IN area.

FINALLY topped 50(F) degrees with sunshine yesterday.

Pulled my wife's '16 NC700x out of the garage and ran it around about 40 miles just to make sure it was all good. Had so much fun I backed my NC750x out of the garage after getting home and ran that around for another 30 miles.

FINALLY topped 50(F) degrees with sunshine yesterday.

Pulled my wife's '16 NC700x out of the garage and ran it around about 40 miles just to make sure it was all good. Had so much fun I backed my NC750x out of the garage after getting home and ran that around for another 30 miles.

this summer you need to make a jaunt down to Southern part of the state...we have hills, curves, and windy roads along rivers.....

My wife and I have taken a long weekend trip to Oxford, with a stop half way up for tasty food in a country pub near Romsey. Weather should be excellent over the next few days! I think she was unhappy with how long I took getting ready for her to get on...
1698da1aa9f14b673d187d69b48ab8cb.jpg

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

this summer you need to make a jaunt down to Southern part of the state...we have hills, curves, and windy roads along rivers.....

We are planning to get to the Bloomington area. Not sure how much farther south we will go. But we have an apartment in Bloomington so we will go there a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back