• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2019: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The DCT’s ability to actually learn has been long debated on past threads. There are riders who believe, and riders that don’t believe and/or found no evidence that the phenomenon exists or possibly even was claimed to exist.

Personally, if my tranny behaved abnormally today because of how I rode yesterday, I’d be annoyed. On the other hand, if I could put a DCT into a specific programming mode and teach it to shift when I want to shift, that would be a great feature. Or say if I rode in manual mode for a few days, I could teach the DCT to automatically shift when I would, instead of when D or S mode would shift. But how long would that learned behavior be retained until I’d need to teach it again? Or why then bother with auto mode at all?

This thread touches on the DCT learning topic: Any Difference Between Models
Maybe we should take any further discussion over there, if there’s a place to fit it in.

I didn't remember mine staying in 5th so long even when dropping to a steady speed, until after we took that long trip up to Clarksville TN. We ran roughly 100 miles of interstate on the way up after we got off of backroads, then ran interstate all the way back home somewhere around 200 miles. We were averaging at least 80 mph and every time I needed to accelerate around a car at that speed I had to drop down to 5th. So it would make sense that if it monitors shift patterns, it would notice 5th gear got used an awful lot above 70 mph. I'm pretty sure some fuel injected cars/trucks have PCM's that monitor fuel trims and adapt to the optimal ratio. I would think the electronic ability to monitor shift patterns and adapt the auto modes to commonly used shift points would be fairly simple technology by today's standards. It could keep a data log of something like the most recent 200 shift points and use that info to adapt the auto modes to suit the way it's driven the most. Theory of course, I don't know. But don't you think it to be a bit odd this topic is brought up by so many? Of course, a lot of people also claim to have seen Bigfoot too.

Some maintenance before 3-day trip tomorrow:
- checked crank case breather hose and air cleaner drain hose (1st time)
- adjusted parking brake tension (was loose)
- adjusted chain (I'm now in the red!)
- inspected rear sprocket (think I'll only need chain)
- checked torque on rear sprocket nuts (for fun)
- topped up tire pressure
- went on joy ride to warm up chain
- lubed chain
- checked oil level

The school I got my initial training through had a moto gymkhana club even tonight. Got a couple runs in. I seriously thinking about joining them. Get some good practice and competition in at the same time.

Some maintenance before 3-day trip tomorrow:
- checked crank case breather hose and air cleaner drain hose (1st time)
- adjusted parking brake tension (was loose)
- adjusted chain (I'm now in the red!)
- inspected rear sprocket (think I'll only need chain)
- checked torque on rear sprocket nuts (for fun)
- topped up tire pressure
- went on joy ride to warm up chain
- lubed chain
- checked oil level

I’m curious what torque value you used for the rear sprocket nuts. There’s controversy over the published value in my 2012 service manual, where 80 ft-lbs (108 Nm) seems too high for those nuts. The book lists the sprocket nut torque spec as higher than for the rear axle nut.

I’m curious what torque value you used for the rear sprocket nuts. There’s controversy over the published value in my 2012 service manual, where 80 ft-lbs (108 Nm) seems too high for those nuts. The book lists the sprocket nut torque spec as higher than for the rear axle nut.

Shoot. Ya, I used values in the Honda Service Manual. Mine has the 2012-2015 stickers for what it's worth. Nothing much changed...maybe Honda is sticking with those values (80 ft-lbs for rear sprocket nuts and 72 ft-lbs for rear axle nut).

Rode into work today. The guy (a colleague) riding the Concours was with me the day I lost my leg in the crash back in 2010.

cb9c53e16f39b9d69a4480044af7c6df.jpg

d36137b061489591134f277e8aa3ecd5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

c03ee034352779a4f50f1ad6b86e9e48.jpg

Group ride today, appx 200 miles or so ...the lone Honda in a pack of Harley’s [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woke up in trailer north of home. Met up with buddy and rode further north to campsite. First time moto camping...rather enjoying it. Nice riding in the area, too (on "Ontario's West Coast" along Lake Huron).

0cafa5298ce1c5b9babb2c104fc60605.jpg

We're having fantastic weather in the UK right now, albeit somewhat warmer than full leathers would warrant. But, all the gear all the time - even if I am overdressed for the sea - and took a detour on the commute home to the beach for a paddle...

3b55d2d7aff95bfe160453621728d7f6.jpg

81f37794dafec5336bfe6db738ebe003.jpg

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
We're having fantastic weather in the UK right now, albeit somewhat warmer than full leathers would warrant. But, all the gear all the time - even if I am overdressed for the sea - and took a detour on the commute home to the beach for a paddle...

3b55d2d7aff95bfe160453621728d7f6.jpg

81f37794dafec5336bfe6db738ebe003.jpg

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk
Very nice, Dianese, you fancy!

I finally settled on the Cortech Latigo 2.0 suit, fits nicely, waiting on Alpinestars SMX S boots to come in. The used Cortech boots I picked up do not fit too good, too tight around ankle. Also my track rubbers came in, today. Dunlop Q3+, can't wait to see how they handle.

764fa24b6b6a5177709de7381fb1095b.jpg

8df06aedada3621d6d3911121720f516.jpg

7fa5f29cec872f1753f95d8f36ba87e3.jpg

Packed up camp and happened across a small-town Stanley Cup parade. Got to touch it (and him)!

164428871f5b6479848a70c046d9cd36.jpg

Rode to new brewery I've been meaning to visit (don't worry, mostly take-out).

4d924e12dcf19aadce2c6970e4d755a7.jpg

Rode to a favourite brewery (don't worry, just take-out). Like it, in part, because of great riding nearby.

74bfa823870da728e45a72b73837f283.jpg

No more room for beer on the NC so...ice cream!

fc80f21678c28682102e063bf18ef233.jpg

With an hour of riding ahead, rode into the sunset.

69276d7d8af3c95b87ef9785622289cc.jpg

Nothing. I haven't really been interested in riding this year. I still commute on it, but in my free time, I'd rather take my mountain bike out... At least I'm still in two wheels, right?

FYI, no complaints on my Pirelli Angel GT II

Nothing, really. I did remove the plastics off the Cycle Gear handguards, and determined that they were a significant contributor to the wind noise I was getting at the base of my helmet. I ordered an MRA spoiler to add to my Madstad.

I don’t do well in high temperatures. I’m waiting for the summer heat and brutal sunshine to pass. The riding season will return in September, I hope, and if I’m lucky, maybe even sooner!

Nothing, really. I did remove the plastics off the Cycle Gear handguards, and determined that they were a significant contributor to the wind noise I was getting at the base of my helmet. I ordered an MRA spoiler to add to my Madstad.

I don’t do well in high temperatures. I’m waiting for the summer heat and brutal sunshine to pass. The riding season will return in September, I hope, and if I’m lucky, maybe even sooner!
I need to look into a set of handguards.

Commuting to work and back, I always end up hitting the biggest, juciest, yellow slime-filled bugs, around my hands. Goes all over gloves, the front of my handlebar controls in cracks around the + shift button, all the little nooks and crannies, or it glances up and splatters all over my jacket. Had to wash jacket in sink the other night it was so bad.

I'm lucky, I'm warm blooded (or cold blooded??) and don't get uncomfortable until I get up around 80, at least partly because I've acclimated to NM weather.
A month ago it was 105 in the Arizona desert and I was cool enough riding with a wicking long-sleeve T-shirt and vented jacket.

Just watched a new video on dealing with the heat. YouTube
Didn't learn anything new except for the Cycle Chiller, a system that pumps cold water through a vest. Looks like a great idea, costs $270, might be worth it. CycleChillers - Cycle Chillers

Last edited:
Well, I almost had a great ride. I've been on vacation this week and had a ride planned to go up the California coast on Highway 1 and stay overnight in Fort Bragg, then head back tomorrow. I was going to depart around 2:00 today after meeting with my contractor. That meeting got delayed, more issues to solve became front burner .... so no ride.

No ride, no fun, and an empty motel room, too late to cancel... and $185 down the toilet. I'm trying not to think about what else I could have done with that money. Or the time I thought would have been spent looking out at northern California's amazing, rugged coastline.

So, some other time. I hope you guys got in some nice rides.

Went gravel hunting today. Hard to find in our urban area, but I did run across 6 or 7 patches several miles in length. No steep hills or tight switch backs, but it was fun to practice steering with my feet.

2019072714313966-IMG_0481-XL.jpg

Last edited:
I'm lucky, I'm warm blooded (or cold blooded??) and don't get uncomfortable until I get up around 80, at least partly because I've acclimated to NM weather.
A month ago it was 105 in the Arizona desert and I was cool enough riding with a wicking long-sleeve T-shirt and vented jacket.

Just watched a new video on dealing with the heat. YouTube
Didn't learn anything new except for the Cycle Chiller, a system that pumps cold water through a vest. Looks like a great idea, costs $270, might be worth it. CycleChillers - Cycle Chillers

I just got home from work. More Saturday traffic than I like to deal with and it was 112 degrees (44.4 Celsius). Now I'm chillin' in the A/c with a Powerade before I start on the beer:cool:

Most definitely not a day to wear a leather suit to the beach. A lot of people, all dressed more suitably than I.

But, 120 miles the long way around to Durdle Door in Dorset makes it worth while ...and to cool off as you get back on the bike? Open the visor and ride faster!

#BoilInTheBag

b3dae1369fadbc6d911d9748259998f0.jpg

87225c7d23732a01804d7badc145102e.jpg

0d4d87360ed1f9e1ba56d3894e790efe.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back