• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2019: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rode 500 miles today between home and Northern Arkansas. The ride started at 44*F and ended somewhere around 80*F. Shivering to sweating in the course of one ride! But, the winds were light and the roads were dry. The NC got to take it’s fifth boat ride today. Once on a ship to the US from the Japan factory, I assume, and four times with me on ferries. It was a good day in motorcycle land.

I better get back at it. Got 4 ferry rides on mine too. I need to find a local one and pump up my numbers!

When I ordered my chain and sprockets from Sprocket Center, I did so over the phone and asked about a clip type link, guy said he would throw one in the box at no extra charge. Super awesome of him! Except he forgot to throw one in the box....now I'm debating on calling them back and getting one or buying a rivet tool and just riveting the link that came with it. I know it's better to do it that way, so I may break down and buy a tool.

Every VX2 chain I ever bought, even from a private seller on eBay, had a clip link included in the box. I always thought that’s the way they were packaged. It wouldn’t make sense to package a chain that does not include all the links. Since I use the rivet links, which I have to buy separately, I have several clip links around as spares.

Last edited:
You can usually pick up a good buy on a rivet/breaker tool at CycleGear. Might grab a digital caliper if you don’t already have one. Makes things go a little quicker with less trial and error.

Or just stick with clips

Every VX2 chain I ever bought, even from a private seller on eBay, had a clip link included in the box. I always thought that’s the way they were packaged. It wouldn’t make sense to package a chain that does not include all the links. Since I use the rivet links, which I have to buy separately, I have several clip links around as spares.
The specs on website said this chain came with rivet style link. Which is why I called to see if they could swap it out for clip style, as a clip link would have been an extra $7-8. Maybe that's one thing they did change from the VX2 to the VX3, went to rivet links as standard with the VX3 chains. Who knows.
You can usually pick up a good buy on a rivet/breaker tool at CycleGear. Might grab a digital caliper if you don’t already have one. Makes things go a little quicker with less trial and error.

Or just stick with clips
I have a cheap pair of calipers somewhere, they should be good enough for the job. Will check cycle gear. I think a good one on sportbike track gear's site is like $80 or so.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Not sure about other stores or sites but sprocket center gives you the option of either clip or rivet for the same price

I've bought the Stockton chain tool from Cycle Gear, twice it's good for 4 or 5 install and removals before something gets tweaked (that's with grinding down the rivet before removal) my second tool might have one more removal and install left in it, I'm planning on getting something better next time I've got to purchase a chain tool

The Stockton tool goes on sale at least twice a year (I think regular price is $60 and sale price is $45) it'll get the job done but I'd recommend getting something better if you can

Not sure about other stores or sites but sprocket center gives you the option of either clip or rivet for the same price

I've bought the Stockton chain tool from Cycle Gear, twice it's good for 4 or 5 install and removals before something gets tweaked (that's with grinding down the rivet before removal) my second tool might have one more removal and install left in it, I'm planning on getting something better next time I've got to purchase a chain tool

The Stockton tool goes on sale at least twice a year (I think regular price is $60 and sale price is $45) it'll get the job done but I'd recommend getting something better if you can
I used my angle grinder and a punch to remove the old chain, it was simple, I don't need one to use as a chain breaker, simply only a rivet tool. So maybe I can go for a cheaper model since that's all I need. I'm gonna look into it.

I used my angle grinder and a punch to remove the old chain, it was simple, I don't need one to use as a chain breaker, simply only a rivet tool. So maybe I can go for a cheaper model since that's all I need. I'm gonna look into it.

I had a problem with a cheap riveting tool and a DID chain. The short version is the chain was stronger than the tool so instead of the rivet mushrooming the tool did. The tool dealer gave me my money back and I bought a good one. I put it in the hopeful one time investment pile.

From what I’ve heard, the cheap chain rivet tools break easily. I have the Motion Pro PBR tool and it seems fairly robust.

From what I’ve heard, the cheap chain rivet tools break easily. I have the Motion Pro PBR tool and it seems fairly robust.
I think the motion pro is the one on sportbike track gear that they recommend. Guess I'll pony up and buy a good one. I'm sure it won't be the last time I use it.

Ordered this one. Also ordered some cheap feeler guages for the valve adjustment.

1744e9360e2bc5c6b3109f813f7b4581.jpg

Ordered this one. Also ordered some cheap feeler guages for the valve adjustment.

Interesting. I didn’t know Motion Pro made different chain tools. Mine is the PBR, and looks like photo below. Let us know what you think of yours when you use it.

9353CB9C-DAB3-4B1C-B38B-A75372D00578.jpg

(yesterday) The weather was cold/rainy at my place(35f) but started to cleared up a little about 10:30. So i took off for a ride and headed South where it was much warmer(45f), then turned West and ended up in Yakima Washington where it was really warm (65f)haha! I wanted to stop in and check on "Rainier" as i had heard he took a spill on a driveway over in Seattle and broke his ankle. He wasn't up for visiting(no prob there) so i kept riding and made a 525 mile loop back to my place. Absolutely a gorgeous Fall day for a ride! Made it home by 8:30pm just as it was pretty chilly(39f).
:{)

Hanford Reach Reserve(the Monument area was surprisingly closed).
Hanford Reach reserve2.jpg
Hanford Reach reserve3.jpg

Greater Yakima (northern)Valley
I-82 just south3 of I-90.JPG
I-82 just south2 of I-90.JPG

Wild Horse Monument, Vantage Wa
Wild Horse Monument Vantage Wa2.jpg

Long shadows
Wild Horse Monument Vantage Wa.jpg

Finished up the front tire change today. PR4 to PR5. Got 24k km/15k miles out of the 4. I will be buying a compressor for my next change. Couldn't get the bead to seat with the little Slime. Had to drag it to the office.

Finished up the front tire change today. PR4 to PR5. Got 24k km/15k miles out of the 4. I will be buying a compressor for my next change. Couldn't get the bead to seat with the little Slime. Had to drag it to the office.

I've got one of the cheap Porter Cable pancake compressors from Home Depot, got it in a bundle kit that came with a staple gun, brad nailer, and finish nailer. I have used the crap out of the compressor over the years, never had a problem out of it and it's never not been able to sufficiently do whatever I needed it to do. Unless you need to run a lot of air tools for long periods of time, this one will do whatever you need it to do at a good price.

Should be able to get any of the decent brand small compressors for around $100. I imagine quality is synonymous throughout brands like Porter Cable, Bostitch, Kobalt, etc.

a745e010a22b4e6982ad652124820ed6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back