• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2019: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ya, i used them all the time hunting in the fall/winter on my Polaris ATV... It just never dawned on me to use them on the bike until this last spring. Huh, why not i thought to myself. im not one that cares too much about what others think(in this regard) so hey, why not. I'm still out riding and having a great time as long as it's not icy or snow covered...I'm Riding man!! (even with oven mitts haha), i may draw the line at using my Carhartt Eskimo/Blizzard suit though hahaha! :{P

Ah! Whatever works! I need to invest in some good cold weather gloves. I've just been wearing some black thinsulate gloves that are not motorcycle gloves. They are ok, but in the 40's and down fingertips get a little nippy. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Heated grips are nice, I use mine most of the year at least in the morning to take the chill off while wearing my summer gloves and during the winter with my winter gloves of course

Oven mitts?

I'm with you Rapturee. I have some expensive ones that I was given that do basically the same thing. I'm riding and no one else is. I think they look funny too but since I see no else I get not commentary ;)

I have been thinking quite a bit about Barkbuster Blizzards, or the Oxford RainSeal Handlebar Muffs-wondering if they'd fit over my existing Barkbusters.
Is this what you mean by "oven mitts?"
Temps are hitting low 40's, and even if I go heated grips, I wouldn't be able to buy and install until the spring, but want to keep riding until salt hits the streets.
I have also been looking at these-https://smile.amazon.com/Professional-Motorcycle-Electric-Rechargable-snowboarding/dp/B07HFC5NN8
- but I like the idea of something that stays on the bike, and cuts all of the wind for me. But I don't have any experience with them and was wondering if these "oven mitts" might work better than the gloves.. thanks

Mine has been parked for the last few days. Temps dropped, rains came through the area, just unpleasant riding conditions so I switched to my car while waiting for the sunshine to return. Probably could have ridden yesterday but I was on the north side of Chicago at Northwestern University for a big regional fencing tournament all day. Weather was in the 50's but with pretty heavy winds, but nice and sunny. So riding would have been reasonable.

But I was pretty much locked up all day and the only riding I would have gotten was dealing with Chicago traffic, so no fun riding, just PITA city traffic from the far south side to the far north side. Better to do that in a car with a hot cup of coffee!

I have been thinking quite a bit about Barkbuster Blizzards, or the Oxford RainSeal Handlebar Muffs-wondering if they'd fit over my existing Barkbusters.
Is this what you mean by "oven mitts?"
Temps are hitting low 40's, and even if I go heated grips, I wouldn't be able to buy and install until the spring, but want to keep riding until salt hits the streets.
I have also been looking at these-https://smile.amazon.com/Professional-Motorcycle-Electric-Rechargable-snowboarding/dp/B07HFC5NN8
- but I like the idea of something that stays on the bike, and cuts all of the wind for me. But I don't have any experience with them and was wondering if these "oven mitts" might work better than the gloves.. thanks

I actually have the Barkbuster Blizzards and would describe them more as a hand guard. They work at keeping the wind and rain off at motorcycle speeds. They don't add any warmth just take off the windchill factor. I'm not sure if they will fit over your existing Barkbusters. To get mine to work I need to remove the stock Honda bar ends and internal weights. I have been doing this for years now as I put them on when it is cold and take them off when it is hot. I could have put them on for last week's cold spell but I am delaying until the weather gets consistently cold. My only beef against them really is that I think they are expensive for what you get. They come with lots of bushings to fit different types of bars. I'm not sure if I would have purchased them if I had to pay the bill. I may have put more effort into heated gloves...I see the advantage of heated glove as it actually generates heat to counter the cold. I like to try things on before buying so I have never gone to this option with the limited selection available at local stores.

The RainSeal I would describe as more of an oven mitt. You can find a variety of types under the handlebar muff category. Something to keep in mind when looking at any type of flexible guard or muff is you don't want them pressing against your levels as you're riding. At speed the wind pressure can push them back so there often needs to be some tweaking to keep them in the right position.

The UK has definitely become wintry, with horrible wet stuff falling out of the sky a lot. So, this afternoon as the sun came out, I took myself out to enjoy the evening. Nothing more relaxing than being on two wheels!

20191013_NewForest-Burley002.jpg

20191013_NewForest-Burley001.jpg

Just got back from a fairly short and brisk ride. Winds are blowing at 30+ mph from the west.

We intended to ride south and the run west along the Kankakee river into Illinois but opted, due to the winds to turn north after we headed south, into the next little town to stop for some Riesling wine and also to visit the hardware store for some florist wire. The fall decorations are going up around the house and my wife needed both the wine and the wire. :p

Back home, probably 25 total miles. So basically nothing.

On the bright side I am so damn forgetful that I forgot to put the new license plate stickers on the bike plates and didn't get pulled over for expired license plates. The stickers are sitting on the table, next to the door, so I won't forget them when I walk out to the garage. I think I've walked past them about 8 times???

Cleaned up the swingarm area, man there was so much chain lube grime....everywhere. Still ain't perfect, but looks a hell of a lot better.

8869d558da6ef48303d5ad7e9385f734.jpg

Went ahead and mounted the new rear tire for the upcoming track day at Barber. Wasn't going to, and just run my old tire, but I'm skeptical about the new asphalt at the track. I want maximum grip there, and that track is much more technical and with the elevation change, it's gonna work the NC a little more than the track at Tally. Will save my other tire for the couple days at Tally I'm planning on doing next month, weather permitting.

a7a1e6811ae3fe35c6431da5a28d4be3.jpg

Got to looking at my preload setting after adding preload the other night to the rear shock. I thought I remembered it still having some threads left, but apparently I maxed it out. Maybe it won't be too stiff. Either way, hope it keeps hard parts from dragging and corners better. Was awfully squishy/bouncy before.

Also got a few new products in to finish the work I need to do on the NC.

0d229034f6fdc3f46aa963bfca5e7ba3.jpg

Last edited:
busy little bee

I finally finished working on the NC today(holiday off-busy little bee i was). I removed the skid plate to change my oil and by doing so it revealed that my loctite/bolt had not failed however it was the entire horn bracket that cracked/broke in two.
Denali Sound Bomb horn bracket broke losing $55.00 Horn!.jpg

I removed the remaining piece and installed two new Freeway Blaster Horns, 130db, yah buddy!! :{)
New Freeway Blaster horns 130bd installed Oct 14th 2019.jpg
New Freeway Blaster horns3 130bd installed Oct 14th 2019.jpg

I also changed the oil/filter, installed a SAE lead for using a battery tender/heated gear etc, ....and installed the new SHinko 705 rear tire.
new shinko 705 installed at 18500 miles on rear Oct 14th 2019 .jpg

Last edited:
32 degrees for the ride to work this morning, but a beautiful crisp one!! Love the heated grips and snowmobile gloves! Probably time to swap out the shield back to my clear lens with pinlock insert, as well as install the breath box. Fall riding, love it!!

My apologies for posting in the NC subforum, because I didn’t do anything with my NC today, except maybe glance at it and admire it.

What i did do today way ride my Goldwing for 200 miles with my wife as passenger, to the Moonshine Store, Moonshine, Illinois, population 2. It’s a long ride just for a Moonburger, but we try to make it there at least once per year. This was the first time we went when it was not on a Saturday. It’s nice being retired! :)

19FEA3AE-EB58-48C9-A55D-CC26749C02FB.jpg

Well finished up a few things on the NC today before work.

New DID VX3 chain, Superlite front and rear sprockets, new Dunlop Q3+ rear, new EBC HH front brake pads. Still gotta drain coolant, remove radiator, do valve adjustment, refill with track-approved coolant and she'll be ready for more track action!

Also measured seat height after maxing out preload on rear shock. Was at 33" before, sits at 34" now (with seat concepts). That should help keep hard parts from dragging as much and give me a little more lean angle.

823bc988bdc82c66cf20eb7a1ad2f026.jpg

a2dfceab5af0409e0fe15d7460d6251d.jpg

d4bae966166797d2976a791b3590d7c2.jpg

49061162da88e51fa9a43250ead80a74.jpg

Also my buddy that's going to the track with me in November came over to use his free tire change coupon haha. I mounted em for him and let him balance em.

216b97df2ca937b5a64b9d10d5606490.jpg

Nothing yet but we are planning a ride today. Weather is supposed to be clear and sunny, temps above normal an in the mid-60(F)s today.

Destination not yet finalized but thinking of heading northeast up to the International Friendship Gardens on the Indiana/Michigan state line. Should have some decent fall colors on the trees, but clearly the colors have not peaked yet. Hope to visit the gardens, grab some food on the way home.

Going to try out a new pair of KLIM Switchback motorcycle pants today. They are an armored casual pant, sort of a Carhartt industrial/casual look. Knee armor removable from the outside so you can wear them while riding with armor and slip the armor out if you go for a hike or are just out and about for an extended period and don't want the armor while you are off the bike.

Put on the R-Gaza crash bars / engine guards today. Only took 2.5 weeks to get them here direct from manufacturer. They were wrapped really well so no damage in shipping. Only road around the block with them so far, did not notice they were there despite how much they protrude. The installation was -fairly- easy, amazing tolerances getting the lower plastic back on - snug but nothing is bending or needed to be cut. Still a little nervous about wrenching on my brand new bike but starting to make it my own!

r-gaza-shipped.jpg

r-gaza-before-front.jpg

r-gaza-after-front.jpg

r-gaza-after-side.jpg

r-gaza-after-top.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back