• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2019: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my Seat Concepts low seat in at the end of last week. I had them install it for me. Haven't had a chance to ride with it yet so I'm going out this evening to test it out.

I will welcome your feedback on this seat. It is one of the few NC seats I have not tried, and I’m still searching for the perfect one.

Ordered a set of Shinko 705’s today.
Probably have about 1000 miles left on my OEM Dunlops. Hopefully I can burn that off soon when the weather finally turns for the better.

Trying to decide if I should get a skid plate. I plan to do a lot more gravel this year. I wonder how bad the 705’s throw the gravel into the engine?

JT

Change air filter at 48500 miles not sure if the old filter was the original one.
fa3aff1883aeb9a7888b74ed85a68ba1.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

My new to me 2016 had been lowered to the max so I raised it back up to near stock height and also put more preload on the rear spring. It must have been set up for a lady most likely. At least it has Soupy's adjustable lowering links and kickstand, so it was pretty easy to do. Test drive was to Safeway and bought French bread and cheese...really nice how well the bread fit in the frunk. I'm liking this bike a lot!

There are 6 threads showing at the top of the shock...anyone know how many threads show with max preload?

With a little rooting around I found that Skeleton up in Canada provided the answer years ago. It looks like I can still add more preload to where there are about 12 threads showing at the top. I will try to measure the sag with my bike loaded for camping and cold weather clothes.
2) Preload 4 turns.jpg

Sorry about your oil leak problem. Let us know how the fix turns out. It’s pretty hard to screw up the valve cover. With the reusable gasket in place, position the cover and install three screws. Most of the problems result from breaking the screws off from over tightening, or leaving out the gasketed washers. Check yours and see if any of the screw heads are gone.

It turns out the leak was from the oil breather hose not getting hooked back up correctly after the shop worked on it. They picked it up yesterday and I am now waiting to hear if they can bring it back today. Luckily :p, I was sick this morning and didn't go to work so that I can be home to receive it but I am too ill to go down and get it. This shop really pissed me off but I have to admit that they are trying to make it right.

Finally (After months of weather issues, going through the sale of our small business, medical issues with my 97 year-old mom, etc, etc, whine, whine) I got to pull Skookum out of the shop. Lubed up the chain, fixed tire pressures and went for a 2-1/2 hour ride.. It's been so long, my throttle hand got tired. Beautiful weather, 70 degrees.

Geez.... have I told you how much I love this bike?
>Thom

Took the bike out for a winter ride today, first commute of the year. There is still some ice from refrozen melted snow in the morning. I put batteries in the Fobos tire pressure sensors, filled up tires, cleaned and lubed the chain, put some good gas plus seafoam in the tank. Got a new tank bag, Givi EA116.

b1f96c26ffc9a50d02d6d869ca54ffec.jpg

3e56e5c6e1511d660188cbf8588f2b92.jpg

6d4fc1b16d38ef3cf25e8140ba8d9b00.jpg

Pulled the NC out to the driveway, put it on the center stand, leveled the handlebar and finished the Barkbusters install. Pulled all the screws and applied blue locktite thread locker and tightened everything up nice and level.

Definitely needed the room to step back, view from the front and make everything even. My loose assembly in the cramped garage looked a little sad with one hand guard drooping and the other sticking up.

JT

Put my new yearly sticker on my license plate. This coming Sunday looks like going to be a gorgeous day to ride-sunny and mid to upper 60s (F) at my house...riding time...got to order a new rear tire soon-I think I can get between 500-700 miles on it still so..probably going to go with a Shinko sr777 (have it on my C50-put 5000 miles on it last summer and still looks new)..the Shinko sr777 doesnt come in the exact oem size but close (170/70 instead of 160/60).

Good for you, if they're trying to make it right that is better then most shops!! (hope you get better soon) :{)

Thanks, Yea I just had a confluence of problems yesterday between my allergies and my back. But I was able to ride into work today, 59 degrees when I left my house and upper 70s on the way home. It was a beautiful day for riding, now if those pesky cars would just clear the roads it would be bliss.:rolleyes:

Bought inexpensive JFG Handguards on Amazon yesterday. They were delivered this evening and went on without any adjustments. They miss the parking brake even...thought I would need to do some bending, but nope.
handguards.jpg
handguard dct side.jpg

Bought inexpensive JFG Handguards on Amazon yesterday. They were delivered this evening and went on without any adjustments. They miss the parking brake even...thought I would need to do some bending, but nope.
View attachment 37922
View attachment 37923
Those look good, how's the quality?

Every now and then I just type in NC700X in Amazon and see what pops up, I was actually doing that a week or so ago and so those and thought they looked good for a great price.

with those handguards, and that mounting method, I wouldn't trust them for much more than wind and roost/brush protection. this is from uh... extensive testing on my supermotos :) most handguards end up just rotating out of the way when you apply force up or down on them. I've seen a $$$ master cylinder get trashed because the handguard didn't protect it.

IMO the only outer mounting methods that're worth a damn involve tapping the end of the handlebar for an insert (or large bolt). I don't believe you can do that with the steel bars that come on NCs, although it isn't hard to swap for aluminum bars.

The inner mounting methods that work well involve bolting to something rather than clamping around the bars. On some of my bikes I have a different upper bar clamp that they bolt to, on others I have adapters on the fork pinch bolts. I'd go with the former over the latter.

hand-guards I have those on one bike

Build Your Own Handguards 1 1/8" Bars - HDB I have those on another bike

Fastway FIT Threaded Bar End Insert Conversion Kit | MotoSport[FWY000Z]=FWY000Z-X001-Y001 are the inserts I speak of

Cycra HCM Mount | MotoSport are the bar clamp option (I imagine you can find a cheaper option somewhere, these are just what a friend traded me)

Cycra Pro Bend Front Triple Clamp Mount | MotoSport[CYC000M]=CYC000M-X001-Y001 are the fork pinch bolt option

I had the same thoughts when installing them...good for wind, bugs, and debris deflection but no crash protection because of just 2 screws holding them in place. But I am not going to be doing serious off-roading anymore...too old. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back