• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2019: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Shinko 705 tires. First time something else than Pilot Road... :D
Now I undertand when somebody mentioned that they tend to "dive" when turn... A bit scary...

New-Shinko-tires.jpg

Yup, they do take a little getting use to but man i like mine a lot.

Today i beat mine up pretty bad on some horrible shale/rocky mountain roads(i'm headed back here later this week and i will have the GoPro with me). I rode/climbed from 2200 elevation to 4719' and made it up to a summit that i had in previous years hiked many times (during hunting season of course-others may, but i do not hike for fun). I even saw a huge cow Elk and her little calf that was with her on a trail i was on while i was rounding a corner. I slowed as fast as i could to let them pass without any problems. Super cool to see the two of them today(of course i did not have the new gopro with me, ratz)! So here are a few pics from todays ride.

4th of July Pass, Capt John Mullan sign
4th July pass Capt John Mullan Sign2.jpg

No Tell'em Peak
Mason Pk with NC.jpg

No tell'em ridge
Mason Pk with NC4.jpg

looking south by s/e into the Silver Valley
Mason Saddle 4th July Pass canyon5.jpg

Just above the interstate on my way out
Mason Saddle 4th July Pass canyon2.jpg

I'll have to try a standard size front next time. Handling isn't great with the 130/80 front, especially with the forks pushed down a bit to help clearance between fender and radiator (as fender is raised). With a stock size front I'll be able to drop the fender back down and put the forks where they belong, and then be able to play with geometry by changing shock length (right now it's an RSV4 shock set as long as it'll go).

Usal Road certainly beat things up somewhat and they worked reasonably well. Of course, it's still a (to me) heavy bike without enough suspension travel.

New Shinko 705 tires. First time something else than Pilot Road... :D
Now I undertand when somebody mentioned that they tend to "dive" when turn... A bit scary...

View attachment 38890

This morning my first commute to work on Shinkos (about 40 miles on I-80, 15 miles on US-6, and 5 miles city streets) - scary. They do kinda "dive in" as somebody described (Dave?) Need some time to get used to it.

Although, felt couple times the handlebar was slightly wobbling ?!?

4pm= I'm off from work and gearing up to head back up to the "No Tell'em Ridge" with the GoPro to see if i can grab/catch a shot of those Elk again! :{)

7pm= I'm back. I did get some great GoPro footage but alas no Elk, no Moose, Deer, Bears, Mountain Lions... nor even a measly Grouse! My son Micah has the footage and will be making/editing a nice video from it and we will post it soon so stay tuned for episode II... "4th of July Pass, the mountain top & seeing the bowl". :{)

Last edited:
Easiest battery change on a bike.
2e801f52ee581519f6f3259afcda477c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Made a quick couple of hundred mile ride over to Othello Wa and meet up with "Rainier". Great to finally meet him and he sold me a nice Aprilla shock for my NC that he was not going to use. Too bad he was to able to ride his '13 DCT over to meet up as it was having battery/starting issues. Anyway, great to have meet up and i so enjoyed our conversation Rainier!! :{)

Except for threading those miserable terminal nuts that want to flop around and not catch. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't remember if it's 8 mm or 10 mm but get a socket and short extension and it's easy to get those annoying bolts started by hand and synched down using 1/4" ratchet

This morning my first commute to work on Shinkos (about 40 miles on I-80, 15 miles on US-6, and 5 miles city streets) - scary. They do kinda "dive in" as somebody described (Dave?) Need some time to get used to it.

Although, felt couple times the handlebar was slightly wobbling ?!?

That was me. The bike seemed to fall into the corners very quickly. The profile is more severe. I've gotten used to that aspect, in fact, I lean much deeper into corners now. However, I'm finding low speed movement much trickier. I've almost dropped it a couple of times at stop lights, parking lots etc. I have short legs and don't have much room for error.

Might have a slight wobble, nothing that has bothered me.

Rode to the local Honda dealer for an oil change on my wife's NC700x.

Under cloudy skies on the way there.

In light and moderate rain most of the way on the way back home. Wore the First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket in anticipation of the rain, good choice!

One thing I've noticed with her bike, the Madstad windscreen on her bike is a 16" screen and I get a lot more wind noise in my helmet. No real buffeting, but the noise is noticeable. Mine has an 18" Madstad on it and there is far less wind noise. There is something to making sure that you order the right height windscreen for your body height with these Madstad windscreens.

The hardest way to easily get to the valves.

IMG_5736.jpg

I guess I am doing a few other things along the way, but i'll get to those valves eventually.

Last edited:
rode it up through the Lost Coast...

I was planning on returning to Usal in mid October. I had a blast on it with a KLR last October before it closed for the season, your description of it sounds spot on to my experience. I'd like to hear more about the conditions if there is more to tell. It was a very wet season, I have read the short road leading to Needle rock is washed out, can you confirm? Any thoughts on the roads north of Usal?

You are running Shinko 705's right? Any new scrapes on your bash plate after Usal?

Last edited:
Took a quick burn to update the game of tag link. Tested out the Alpine Stars Web Gore-Tex boots. Seem fine. I have been told they may be a little warm but no complaints so far on a cool morning ride. Got a good price on them from a local dealer at 25% off. I'm upgrading my Roam 2 boots to move from a Drystar waterproof membrane to full Gore-Tex. The old boots have a small cut in the leather now so it is a good excuse to upgrade and keep them as my "Summer ventilated" boot. After 4 years and 40,000km of daily commuter riding I think I got my $200 worth out of them. These were the first boots I owned and I don't regret the decision.

Wore a one piece track suit I was given for the first time on the bike. I've had the thing for two years but I am a little "thick" for it. I think if I wear it more it will stretch. Feels ok riding just a little tight. I have a new found appreciation for what wearing Spanx may feel like...

I was planning on returning to Usal in mid October. I had a blast on it with a KLR last October before it closed for the season, your description of it sounds spot on to my experience. I'd like to hear more about the conditions if there is more to tell. It was a very wet season, I have read the short road leading to Needle rock is washed out, can you confirm? Any thoughts on the roads north of Usal?

You are running Shinko 705's right? Any new scrapes on your bash plate after Usal?
I think 95% of Usal you could do in a Civic without much problem, and that most of the road North of the beach is in better shape than the road South of the beach (although the worst parts North are worse than the worst parts South). There are some sections of significant ruts - to the point that I felt the forks bottom fairly well once, entering a rut on a downhill section - but most of it isn't bad. Since everything was damp traction was excellent.

I didn't head out to Needle Rock but there was a sign there saying road closed ahead.

I just did Usal to Shelter Cove Road to Ettersburg Road to Wilder Ridge Road to Mattole Road. My only detours were under a mile, looking at the Lindley Road suspension bridge and then another bridge on Old Mattole Road. Road conditions weren't too bad, although Wilder Ridge does have a few dirt sections still, often unmarked. I don't think much has changed since last year.

I didn't feel the skid plate touch anything but haven't looked.

Yes, I'm running 705s. 130/80 front, fender raised, forks pushed down a bit, and an RSV4 shock set to max length so I have quite a bit more ground clearance than a typical NC. The centerstand doesn't get the back tire off the ground...

Also, on my ride yesterday I had to remember how much speed can *help* ride quality on washboarded dirt roads: on some of them, the tolerable speeds were <30 or >50. I generally chose the latter when sight lines allowed.

ahGPfyr.jpg

0JaZUfE.jpg

jl7aXI3.jpg

Dt8uUHu.jpg

PUMcYSW.jpg

~60mi of dirt as part of a 330mi day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back